Archinect
anchor

Making 2d drawings

messinaldo

I've tried to use rhino and autocad to cut sections but the output is difficult to understand (for me) when all the lines are overlapping after using make2d. It takes a very long time to then trace over all the lines and figure out what is in the foreground, middleground, and background. 

Is there a way in any software to have the lines automatically changed in color or lineweight by using something like a z-index? I think this is possible for 3d renders, but 2d output?

Can any software create true axonometric drawings or output shadows and other tones as vectors?

Jan 7, 14 4:24 pm
Non Sequitur

Good 2D drawings are made as they should be: independent vector drawings. But for those who prefer to do everything in 3D then figure out how to set-up decent working drawings after-the-fact, one way to do it is the export your "2D" file into Adobe Illustrator. You can then select which layers can be frozen en even select groups of lines to alter pen-weights.

Jan 7, 14 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Alien 8

In Rhino, try to assign components of your 3D model do different layers (based on material, depth, etc.) and you can set lineweights and colors for each layer. Then when you "make2D", tick the "maintain source layers" box to keep the differentiation between elements in the resulting lines. 

Jan 7, 14 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I developed a system similar to Alien 8. It takes a lot of post line work (utilizing the sel commands). I've found that importing your geometry into Revit and creating drawings from that and moving into illustrator to do the final touches worked well. 

Jan 7, 14 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

You can use the section cut option in autocad to create cuts with different colors for what is in the background and what is in the cut itself, it works well for basic stuff but like someone else said, the best way to do it in the end is separate from the 3d model.

Jan 7, 14 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: