Archinect
anchor

Entry level position advice

c0303

Hi all,

So, I'm graduating soon with a degree in landscape architecture, I've applied for a bunch of jobs so far, and I'm slowly getting a few replies. Ideally I'm looking for an entry level position in the LA field, but today I've been offered an interview for an assistant position which i didn't apply for. 

Now this is where I need a bit of advice.

What are some of the pros and cons of working as an assistant (the position is assistant to the director I believe).

Would I be better off finding a designer position, or are there some perks to working as an assistant too? 

Thanks in advance.

C

Jan 3, 14 11:01 am
natematt

Titles vary so much that you'd probably need to share the details of the position in order to get useful advice.

Jan 3, 14 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

No matter the title, working under a higher-up who will spend time with you explaining the process is what counts. Being an assistant under a directer sounds like the right thing, in my opinion.

Jan 3, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Assistants can either assist with the actual duties of design or spend their day fetching coffee, making phone calls, and scheduling appointments. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Jan 3, 14 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: