Archinect
anchor

TdF 2009

Janosh

Vinokourov, Rasmussen, Mayo and pretty much the entire 2007 Tour gave a pretty good hit to my lifelong infatuation with professional cycling.

Now I'm ready to give this relationship another chance and I'm back (perhaps temporarily) to my July routine of waking up at 5:30am and watching emaciated superheroes people exercise. Is anyone else following this thing?

Jul 10, 09 11:42 pm
STU

hells yeah, i am. today's mt stage was exciting. we'll see how the "drama" plays out w/ astana.

i say "drama" sarcastically cause it what the MEDIA, as usual, wants to spin up.

but go lance and go contador (and levi too).

cadel needs to get on a fresh team, one w/ peeps who can better support him. gotta feel bad for him and his situation. oh, and his bike is fugly.

sastre is a no show so far, may change though.

the shleck bros... hmm, we'll prob see a stage win, but not much more.

sorry, i'm a big cycling nerd. spent 15 years working in the industry and 3 years as a staff member for a world cup mountain bike team (GT).

Jul 11, 09 1:47 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I don't follow it, not even care about it, but a couple of days ago they passed by my town next to Barcelona... some people however seemed to be very excited to see that bunch of cyclists for a mere 6-8 seconds or so.
riding a bike is fun, but watching this on tv is quite boring (my opinion exclusively, of course)... they say it left a bunch of good money in Barcelona hotels though..

Jul 11, 09 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Like chess, it's impossible to enjoy unless you know what is going on. Without knowing the nuances, its just lycra, pretty helicopter shots of the countryside, 100 years of zany history, and wine fueled basques in camper vans. Actually, that's all still pretty interesting.

Regarding Cadel Evans, although Silence-Lotto obviously is no powerhouse and totally blew it in the team TT, I am starting to doubt if he has the mental strength to match his legs and lungs. He's always shrieking about his crap mechanics, the wind, no one helping him in the breaks - tedious. Tour contenders aren't usually spouting excuses the moment that they cross the line.

Also interesting that Oscar Pereiro, the 2006 beneficiary of the Landis disqualification, abandoned today due to fatigue.

Jul 11, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

when i was living in germany, we went down to le grand bornand for the last mountain stage. afterwards, had some of the best food in my life.

we caught the remaining races in a great bar near my apartment, the whole office pretty much went on hold to catch the last ride.

was a little annoying as an american, since i can't stand armstrong, but liked watching everyone squirm while the one-nut wonder pwned them.

after watching this year's giro d'italia, i'm pretty convinced ending on a tt instead of a group ride for show makes for a much more memorable ending.

being 9 hours behind makes watching it live more of a headache as well.

Jul 13, 09 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: