Archinect
anchor

biomimicry in architecture

panzanator

anyone know of any schools that have a master's focus on this at all in this country? thanks.....

Jul 5, 09 11:43 pm
randomized

first of all, which country? second, have you tried google. and third, ah well never mind.

Jul 6, 09 7:52 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

I don't think any school has a masters focus...although I am sure many students have done research on it for their Masters Thesis.

A student of the University of Oregon got a travel grant to do research on the topic. He gave a presentation of his research a couple years ago.

Jul 6, 09 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The word itself does not have a focus. It is a concept. There are formal applications as well as more conceptual ones. Biomimicry is not a single school of thought.

Jul 6, 09 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Alright_

I'm not going to go in too much depth, other than to reiterate some of the points made here and on the other identically named post that biomimicry in architecture is a huge topic to take on for thesis. Trust me, it was where my thesis started out last year and it took me months to narrow it down. Shoot me an email if you want any additional information about the direction I went, etc. It's tough because there is very little relevant precedence for biomimicry that isn't just making things look like biology but actually function like them.

Anyway, something that my advisor found through applying for a research grant was work Jenny Sabin is currently doing at UPenn in conjunction with the Biology department. It might be worth looking and seeing if there is some more information about her work now since when I found out about her was about a year ago.

All in all, the biggest problem your going to face is one of syntax. Everyone has their own definition of Biomimicry now that it will be incumbent for you to be really clear about what exactly is your project is and is trying to do.

Jul 6, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

Sabin/Jones teach a grad studio at Penn that focuses on biomimicry. I have been in contact with her as biomimicry is a part of my thesis, and she's been very helpful in providing information/updates on the work of her and her students.

Jul 7, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

the Uni Stuttgart's Institute for Computational Design might be a good place to look. In addition to the institute's director, Achim Menges, invited lecturers this summer have included George Jeronemidis from Reading/AA and Mike Weinstock (AA), all of whom deal with the idea of biomimicry in one way or another.

Of course, it's impossible to mention either Stuttgart or biomimicry without also mentioning Frei Otto, although I'm not sure how involved in the subject the ICL (or its successor institute) is anymore.

Jul 7, 09 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Nicolas
Philip Beesley

is currently teaching at the University of Waterloo.

Also, have a look at Neri Oxman at MIT and Axel Kilian at TUDelft.

Jul 8, 09 12:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: