Archinect
anchor

Construction Help

OM12

Hi there,

I am currently in my second year of Architecture at University and I could really do with some guidance on my construction work.

Part of the work is to draw/model the overall structural form of the River and Rowing museum and the configuration of a modular structural bay in detial (layout/span/spacing).

I know the first floor supported is 300mm concrete, along with the ground floor but I am confused as to how structurally it works. After researching I can only assume it is pre-cast hollow core concrete slabs as the building has exposed concrete ceilings and no grids or holes for cables. I have been told by my teacher that the building is a simple concrete frame, however I am wondering, would the slabs act as floor as well as structural elements for the building, meaning beams are not needed or do the slabs sit somehow between the concrete beams and if so, how?

Ive attached an image of a section of the building. Note the '300mm structural concrete slab' label.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apolgise also if I have chosen the wrong category too.

Dec 31, 13 2:59 pm
SneakyPete

http://www.ramboll.com/projects/ruk/the%20river%20and%20rowing%20museum

The uppermost structures are of steel, and form the two main galleries. These are clad with boards of English oak, cut downwards at the edges to help drainage and fastened with 23,000 stainless steel screws. The framework rests on a concrete table, whose legs are positioned on a further concrete slab above the pile caps, or "stilts", which support the ground floor.

Because all materials are exposed, creating in situ concrete columns and soffits with a perfect finish was one of the challenges of the specification.

Dec 31, 13 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
OM12

Would anyone be able to tell me the average spacing between concrete members in a concrete frame for such a building and the average dimensions of them? I know it for timber but cant find it for concrete anywhere?

Thanks

Jan 2, 14 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: