Archinect
anchor

Confederations Cup: Has the US finally arrived?

santa monica

The short answer is no. Spain would beat the United States 95 out of 100 games. In fact, they looked like the better team for most of the game on Wednesday. However, the US made the most out of the chances they had and played desperate defense. A few thoughts on the team: Jozy Altidore might turn out to be the best player the US has ever produced (maybe). Onyewu/DeMerit form a solid defensive core. Tim Howard is a stud. Donovan was tireless and should be starting for a top tier European club (maybe). Now, any thoughts on Sunday's final versus Brazil?

Jun 26, 09 1:15 pm
lletdownl

Im dearly hoping were not trounced again...

im skeptical though, because the brazilians play with such a total lack of discipline when compared to spain... they really are starkly different teams. I do think though the US has a shot... they are going to have to play similar defensively though... force brazil outside and make them try to play through the air because with onyewu in the back, thats a real strength.
What ill really be looking for though is how well the midfield plays premptive defense around midfield... if we let the brazilians start running at us through the middle once they cross the half way line, we will be in trouble... i dont think we have the skill or speed to play with them when they attack head on...

its doable... spain is probably a better team than brazil right now...though its like comparing apples and oranges... but it sure would be amazing if the states could make a good game of it!

i agree with you santa though, altidore looks legit... hes incredibly strong... and hes only 19!!!! hopefully villareal gives him a real shot to succede with them as it would do wonders for us offensively to have our best striker getting that kind of experience.

with howard, onyewu, donovan and altidore though, you have the makings of a pretty decent team up the middle

Jun 26, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

question is; will FIFA and the ref's be strong enough to let the game happen on the field and not through the "cards?"

Jun 26, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

demerit, onyewu, and howard were awesome against spain... but i think that they're going to need red capes and S's on their chests to pull the same thing off against brazil... as long as they don't look as bad as they did in the first two matches, i'll be happy.

Jun 26, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

it doesn't really matter who wins, it's a meaningless tournament, just a rehearsal for next year's big one. a tournament without Germany or Argentina is just for fun.

Jun 26, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

The upfield passes that led to the first goal were simply beautiful. I think they do have a shot to beat Brazil if they play like they did against Spain.

Jun 26, 09 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

hey, c'mon random, beating Brazil is beating Brazil....damn

Jun 26, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

They have a shot. However I thought they arrived back when they made the quarters at the world cup only to lose to germany (when there was on obvious german hand ball on the goal line). After that game they seemed to have a series of disappointing showings at international tournaments. If they win this one it will be a great step back into the spotlight. I hope they carry it over the world cup.

Jun 26, 09 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I don't give a damn about this competition in particular but just want to congratulate the US team for beating Spain... just made my day.

But not a chance against Brazil, imo. Good luck anyway... watch out for Alves!

Jun 27, 09 7:03 am  · 
 · 
awkeytect

They could beat brazil. It wouldnt surprise me. Brazil plays when they feel like it, and I could see them playing down to the U.S.

Brazil, like Spain in the large scheme of things, care very little about the 'confederations cup' - its practice.

Kinda like spain looked like they were scrimmaging their offense against the US in the second half the other day.

Its embarrassing to see the US celebrate like they won the world cup when they win a warm up tournament semifinal game.

Have they arrived? They lost 2 out of three previous games playing horribly and it was a miracle they seemingly qualified in the first place.
Itd be one thing if they scored 'normal goals' - but they have this knack for scoring the weirdest, strangest and most awkward goals.

but I'm biased, US soccer is not for me.

Jun 27, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

awkey, they did beat Spain, that in and of itself deserves recognition. practice makes perfect.

my thing still has to with the US lack of communication, lack of Euro style, and FIFA and Ref's.

Jun 27, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in less than a generation the usofa will dominate communist kickball as our influx of new immigrants who have grown up with the game take charge.

Jun 27, 09 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Well Folks....I be shouting for Brazil and Flying the Brazilian Flag on the front of our house tomorrow....otherwise I be without food...or any of that other good stuff...Mrs. B....she is thru and thru Brazilian when it comes to football. Think we might even have to go to a Brazilian Bar for the game.

Just today I was talking with a mason from Ecuador and another from Chile about the game. I think Vado is right....these guys go play football on their only day off. They were very entertained when I told them I coached football when I was younger. I guess they thought
it was a completly new game to this country. We talked about the youth soccer program in this country and how they should introduce their children (boys and girls). to this program. I'm sure they would be welcomed with open arms. America will build a strong team with our new countrymen in the years to come.

Jun 27, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

we dont have a 'farm' system that could get close to competing with the rest of the worlds. Here Soccer is through highschool - college -...then to the MLS..at what...23 years old...

Competing with the worlds' greats...say, Messi, who was in an argentine club at 11, and debuting for Barcelona at 16.... highschool leagues might have a hard time keeping up. To be the best you have to compete with the best.

the US will never build a strong team, unless they are all internationals...who grew up/live/play in south america and europe.

Jun 27, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

awkeytect....I would say otherwise....The US has an amazing youth
soccer (football) program. I have been part of it and I know people who have come thru it.....so please go suck wind. We the US....be coming.....still I bow to the Mrs....as Brazil is the Best....even when they loose....cause it is just sloppy~~~~ I will let you know if I'm eating and having any other earthly delights after the game tomorrow.

Jun 27, 09 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when i was in school we only played soccer if the gym teacher was sick and the game consisted of dividing 50 uninterested eighth graders into two teams 10 percent of whom snuck off to smoke weed.

Jun 27, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

awkeytect.

1. you're kind of right..the US doesn't have a youth system like everywhere else in the world...but the whole team pretty much plays in europe at this point. most of the us team is in their early to mid twenties...unlike years ago when the US played many older players. their best players are young and playing in europe...and the US is starting to get transfer fees to europe...dempsey and altidore...altidore is 19 playing since 17, adu is 19 as well, beasley i believe is 23..and has been playing for a while. most of our players have been playing pro since their teens. if rossi had stayed the american he is then we'd also have a player who has been playing since he was 14. bradley will soon be playing at a better club in europe as well. and donovan should be

2. i still think their is an anti US bias when it comes to football/soccer. they were given three red cards in this tourney.. they played italy a man down for 60 minutes...and they were leading for a while. the last red card against spain was hardly even a foul...let alone a straight red. bradley got the ball...didn't go cleats up...didn't extend his leg..and it's a red? any other team and it would be considered a good tackle. altidore gets pulled down from behind on his way to goal and it's only a yellow...
the US did play awful against italy and brazil..but they were down a man in both games.

3. US in europe. countries like england have restrictions on foreign players. so most teams are going to go after players from argentina...brazil..spain...before they go to america for players. some teams of course have started looking at americans due to their cheap transfer rates.. i'm sure you know this.

4. beating spain is still beating spain.... noone has done it since 2006 and they hadn't been scored on in 512 minutes or so? you see the offense of spain as just scrimmaging or whatever...i call bull shit. the US were put on their heals..but spain was still trying to score...and were playing their best. the US defense just played better/were hyper aggressive.. to say the US scores only ugly goals is just silly. altidore's goal wasn't 'lucky'...he turned a defender and put the ball in the corner...lucky in that the goaltender was leaning maybe..but this guy has a strong shot.

Jun 27, 09 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

Future of US soccer...players under 25...not sure if this proves or disproves awkytect's point...

Adu, Freddy 06/02/89 AS Monaco (France) 20
Altidore, Jozy 11/06/89 Villarreal C.F. (Spain) 19
Bornstein, Jonathan 11/07/84 Chivas USA (MLS) 24
Bradley, Michael 07/31/87 Borussia Moenchengladbach (Germany) 21
Cameron, Geoff 07/11/85 Houston Dynamo (MLS) 23
Clark, Ricardo 05/10/83 Houston Dynamo (MLS) 26
Cooper, Kenny 10/21/84 Dallas, Texas FC Dallas (MLS) 24
Davies, Charlie 06/25/86 Hammarby IF (Sweden) 23
Dempsey, Clint 03/09/83 Fulham FC (England) 26
Edu, Maurice 04/18/86 Glasgow Rangers (Scotland) 23
Feilhaber, Benny 01/19/85 AGF Aarhus (Denmark) 24
Franklin, Sean 03/21/85 Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS) 23
Gaven, Eddie 10/25/86 Columbus Crew (MLS) 22
Guzan, Brad 09/09/84 Aston Villa (England) 24
Holden, Stuart 08/01/85 Houston Dynamo (MLS) 23
Johnson, Eddie 03/31/84 Cardiff City (Wales) 25
Kljestan, Sacha 09/09/85 Chivas USA (MLS) 23
Marshall, Chad 08/22/84 Columbus Crew (MLS) 24
Moor, Drew 01/15/84 FC Dallas (MLS) 25
Parkhurst, Michael 01/24/84 FC Nordsjælland (Denmark) 25
Pearce, Heath 08/13/84 Hansa Rostock (Germany) 24
Rogers, Robbie 05/12/87 Columbus Crew (MLS) 22
Simek, Frank 10/13/84 Sheffield Wednesday (England) 24
Spector, Jonathan 03/01/86 West Ham United (England) 23
Szetela, Danny 06/07/87 Brescia (Italy) 22
Torres, José Francisco10/29/87 Pachuca (Mexico) 21
Wynne, Marvell 05/08/86 Toronto FC (MLS) 23

Jun 27, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

larson

cool thanks for the response.
I dig it.

I didnt say 'lucky' goals...
I think it was awkward - strange.... and I still think they kinda are. I just think its tough to live on stuff like that. They've been big on scoring counter attack goals in the recent past, and it just a lot of pressure playing that way. I'm a fan of the beautiful game being beautiful. And I dont get a lot of that watching the US play soccer.

the list kinda supports what I was saying. Because it concludes..these guys are internationals. I suppose thats the way the US soccer is shifting. Because they will continue to be the product of the environment in which they play - with more moving to europe - it would seem logical that they would improve. No arguing that.

I would agree with you on the anti US bias. No doubt about it. For being the largest world spectacle...and the US' world reputation...mostly politically - I dont doubt the loose whistles. The red cards were silly. Same thing with the Germany hand ball in world cup. Not something I see changing anytime soon. Thats just an extra hand against them.

beating spain is beating spain...sure. For the US. "yay...we won," - the people rejoice. Spain is disappointed - big deal, they will be ok.
I think they cared moreso about breaking the streak record than anything...not so much the tournament. And the other thing...Spain didnt put them on their heels...the US sat back. I hate that crap. Score...and then defend.....ahh!!.. you cant tell me that doesnt drive you crazy?

snook dude, dude....

you are a product of the 'amazing US youth soccer system, and know people who have come through it'. Okay. So ... wait, are you and your friends are on larsons' list down there? The word 'amazing' is relative to the company you keep.

the fact that you instantly start sucking up to brazil screams you are a soccer product of the US. What is it exactly...is it the color of the jersey?..., someone told you about Pele? I've never understood the brazil worship. You've put yourself in a position for a win-win tomorrow. Regardless of who wins, you knew that team was going to.

I look forward to the day when the US rules the soccer world. (even though ESPN still wont care about it) because they represent me. I'm from the US. I just grew up playing in Argentina - so my support lies elsewhere.

I dont even know who I am routing for tomorrow. I just know that if the US wins..there will be more 'hope of winning the world cup' next year floating around... and I dislike false hope. I'm hoping for a good game. That is all.

cheers

Jun 27, 09 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

awkeytect..

if you'd been here a while...and read snooks post...you'd know that his wife is brazilian...so he has to cheer for brazil or at least pretend

re: spain... well the US did bunker after they scored...but spain is ranked number one in the world... and their strikers and mids are some of the best in the world...and the US team is really young..and their defense is their weak point..so it's understandable that you'd play nine back...but then again..so does italy. also the US relies on their counter..they've got a very fast team..perfect for the 442.

with that said...i hate bunkering. i hate the way italy plays soccer...
i do think the US plays ugly soccer...but it's far nice than it used to be even ten years ago... the US now has quality on the field at most positions...not top twenty talent maybe, but they're a youngish team that is going to play together with younger talent coming up...

i'd say that for the first time the US has a legit striker...mcbride was ok, but needed help...and they've had others..but i really like altidore..of course i'd like him to get in shape and play the full ninety....and also control the ball better..and maybe win the ball on goal kicks once in a while? but he has a goal scorers instinct and big strong body...and he's only 19. and then there's dempsey too.. who has a little flair which the US hasn't had.

regarding the celebration...i think if you saw the end of the SA/brazil game that you saw brazil celebrate as well...this isn't the world cup, but it does mean something to these teams. germany and argentina might not be here..but this is still a legit tourney. the US coming out of a group of Brazil, Italy and Egypt even as miraculously as they did is still an accomplishment. they wouldn't have needed that miracle if the refereeing had been legit...cause i think they would've beaten italy...but we'll never know.

and you're right..you didn't say altidore was lucky..that was another poster.

Jun 28, 09 2:24 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

US strikes first! 1-0..and almost gets another off the corner...
brazil is always dangerous though..
davies and donovan makes our counter very legit..

Jun 28, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Brazil is very dangerous...things can change any second, but up 2-0 at the half is a great place to be. the US attack is looking good, but I'd like to see Altidore get himself a bit more involved...

Jun 28, 09 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh my! those were good goals too. very interesting. brazil and spain - if the us wins - can downplay this all they want, but if the us wins, it'll be in their head for a long time, and in the us' head too. tim howard is amazing right now.

Jun 28, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

damn..nice turn..2-1

Jun 28, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

it'd be nice to see the US get a bit more respect on the field...
some of these 'fouls' wouldn't get called...a high boot or two may get called against brazil..

holy crap tim howard...

Jun 28, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and if only we more players that passed like donovan..
and we should be tied 2-2

Jun 28, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

well done bradley...
wait til the 75th minute to sub...can the US get a world class coach?

Jun 28, 09 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

damn. brazil is good.

Jun 28, 09 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

yeahs brazil are good, the very best.

Jun 28, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Ya, I agree w/regard to Bradley not subbing Altidore out until the 75th minute. He was pretty worthless on the field today.

But still, Brazil showed in the 2nd half that they are clearly a world class team that can turn it on at any minute. The US, on the other hand, showed how much room there is to grow. Poor effort in the 2nd half...nowhere near the hustle showed in the first half, nor against Spain.

Nevertheless, two games in a row where the US showed that they are, at the very least, on the rise as a team. Bravo.

Judging from the reaction at the end of the game, Brazil cared about this tournament. No question about that. Lucio was crying, and the rest were going just as crazy.

Oh, and Kaka's header looked to me like it went in...

Jun 28, 09 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

yea, they had to play two great halves, not just one, to beat Brazil...so close yet so far...

Jun 28, 09 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

My hat is off to Howard....He did a nice job today.. he took some wicked shots.

This was a growing game for the USA team....as was the whole series of games....I be proud..

On the other hand....Mrs. B is will still be serving up wonderful meals and all the extras....So were both happy Brazil won today. It is funny cause she goes all Brazilian when their playing...talking to the boys in portugese....and I don't know if you noticed the goalie kissing the ball.....cause he wanted it to be like kind to him and not come back.

Jun 28, 09 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

but mucho congrats to the US team nonetheless...that second goal blew my socks off.

Jun 28, 09 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

congrats to the US soccer team, little by little getting bigger each time

Jun 29, 09 12:24 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I didn't see any game of this competition -just the goals on the tv news- but congrats to the US for reaching the final (and for the second goal, great, precise counterattack, that kind of playing could be signed by my Barça, beautiful stuff).... and congrats (and big thanks!) for beating goddamn Spain last week...!!! pretty happy about that as a catalan.

with a population of +300 m. the US will, sooner or later, create a great team probably... it's a matter of time..

Jun 29, 09 5:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: