Archinect
anchor

poop876....he gone!

poop876

So after years of working...I'm joining the unenployment line tomorrow!!! I'm frustrated, sad and scared. I know many of my coworkers that have been laid off long time ago, are still searching with no positive outcome. I'm going to get in touch with everybody I know in the industry to see if there is anything out there, but I doubt it knowing the situations of all local firms.

So, this morning we are all working and I get a call to join the staff in the conference room, suddenly all other phones around me start ringing and my entire team joins me in the conference room as well. Some younger staff even showed up with clipboards and notebooks thinking we are getting a new project. Well, they are young and hopeful. Pretty much, they said we have to cut down, because of lack of work blah blah blah, you all know the spiel. People were crying, people were angry, people were yelling, people were "smiling". It was a sad situation! I'm really surprised and disappointed that none of the principals were present, like we never knew each other. The HR person seem like a person from another planet, no feelings or compassion whatsoever, but I guess I don't know how I would react either.

I'm going to try and stay positive but right now it seems like the world is ending. At least I'm going to have more time to put more feedback on archinect and share my experience and knowledge!

Cheers everybody, because I'm doing that right now!

Jun 25, 09 12:10 pm
gaas

well....what can i say...
i still have a job, but they cut 50% of my sallary + all benefits...
it's almost like being unemployed...

good luck...for all of us.

Jun 25, 09 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
file

sorry, man ... that sucks.

Jun 25, 09 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Poop876, sorry to hear you are another casualty. Like gaas, I'm still "working" but with huge cuts in pay and benefits. Hard to look at that with a glass as half full attitude.

Jun 25, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I think I'd rather have them cut my salary than be in this position right now. What's even more funnier is that they just gave us bonuses and raises! Tells you how much they know what is going on!

Jun 25, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Alexi

Wow. That's out of control!
My salary got cut yesterday...but that's better than getting laid off, which happened to me in Nov. 08.
Ah well. Stay positive man!

Jun 25, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

what will you do now, in terms of your architecture career? would you consider moving?

Jun 25, 09 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Moses,
I still have couple of project that I was working on the side, and I had two interns working with me on them. So I guess I will finish those up and try to find more work, unless I get a call from one of my buddies that can get me somewhere else. I am still staying with architecture because I've been doing it for so long, but if that doesnt work out in a year or so I will be considering changing paths a bit, but still staying in the industry. As far as moving, yes I would consider moving, but that is not my option for now.

Jun 25, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

damn .. good luck

Jun 25, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

more importanly; city and firm.

Jun 25, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Sorry to hear about your lay-off - more and more it seems like the bloodletting from 1989-1992 is happening all over again.

Good Luck

Jun 25, 09 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
santa monica

Mr. Poop: may I ask what city you're in?

Jun 26, 09 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

santa,
I'm in Chicago, have been here for years, worked for corporate and other, very known, smaller firms. Unfortunately every firm is getting hit, some earlier than others but all of them are feeling it. As far as I know HOK is the only one that didn't' go through layoffs here in Chicago, but I believe they have in other locations. I'm going to stick around here, because I do love the city and have quite a few connections, so hopefully that will help me stay here. If not, I would be considering moving somewhere else, but the market is bad regardless where you are!

Jun 26, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
santa monica

Oh boy... the wife and I are moving to Chicago in August. She has a job lined up at an engineering firm, so hopefully that will pay the rent. I've got an apartment for you near the beach if you're ready to come out!

Jun 26, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I've got a condo for you in Old Town if interested hehe!

Jun 26, 09 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

HOK has definetly had major layoffs in other locations...

Jun 26, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The one- and two-person firms I know are still doing well. Like us, most of them won't have enough work to hire someone, but *might* need some pick-up drafting or other small help. Hit the little guys up if you're looking for work!

Also, ZGF in Portland just posted a job opening.

Hang in there poop. I heard on NPR today that we've bottomed out and are headed back up. That may not be true, but maybe if we act like it is it will happen?

Jun 27, 09 12:14 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

The job market is just terrible all over the world. I have luckily been able to find a freelance job here in Berlin but just working for a low hourly wage without any benefits. I plan on sticking it out here until next summer and if nothing comes up will be forced to move on.

I'm sorry to hear about your layoff. Something will come up. Perhaps look into being an adjunct teacher at a university?

Jun 27, 09 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: