Archinect
anchor

After 10 years, I am hanging them up for better things

modularnyc

After 10 year, 5 firms, I have finally decided to make a change. I am leaving my job in the middle of a recession and have vowed not to ever work for another architectural firm again. The main reasons being:

1. No motivation
2. Lack of professionalism in the majority of architectural firms
3. Salary is a joke
4. No satisfaction in what I do

I am thinking of venturing into design build.

If anybody in the new york metro area has the same goals, would love to hear from you.

Jun 22, 09 10:52 pm
shaner

why dont you start your own practice?

Jun 22, 09 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just get your contractors license and some tools....

if you can get your foot into some high end residential then you can get the ball rolling....

good luck.....i stopped working in arch firms about 1.5 years after i received my 5-year b.a. in arch'99 ....... prolly should have stayed to get IDP..but thats another story

Jun 22, 09 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
gold spot

good luck. a combination of design-build, design-design-build and design-build-build is mostly satisfactory, though requiring a lot of coordination and managerial skills.

Jun 23, 09 12:49 am  · 
 · 
smaarch

modularnyc

there are several firms in NYC doing exactly this.
not sure what their success is but from what i've seen published: they are having fun.

in the 90's rented a bunch of cheap factory space with a friend/partner in NY and set out to practice and fabricate the things which were difficult to contract out.
it sprung out of the need of current projects and took a life of its own.
bought welders. table saws etc.

the above comment about maqnagerial skills is on the mark,

We had a great time and would love to go back to it,
in fact miss it.
to my mind nothing beats it.

still make sawdust every now and then.
:))

Jun 23, 09 1:53 am  · 
 · 
panzanator

sorry for my lack of knowledge...... what is design build
thanks?

Jun 23, 09 2:30 am  · 
 · 
vvvijay

sounds awesome, good luck!

Jun 23, 09 7:25 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

ModularNYC I can relate and have been considering taking an opportunity to go into sales (big salary and company car) and as a side job incorporating myself as an Architect and working residential side jobs, which in the past I turned down due to conflicts with my employers and moonlighting.

1. No motivation - Lately yes...then again there isn't enough work to even keep me busy full time...staying motivated on a reduced work week furlough is very difficult.

2. Lack of professionalism in the majority of architectural firms - Not sure I'd say lack of professionalism but I do have some very big complaints about how management has handled the downturn. Have always left past employers because I had a problem with management. Right now I have major greviences.

3. Salary is a joke - Agreed, and that's before the salary reductions. I'm making about half what I was making before the recession hit. Partial unemployment and the fact that no other firms are hiring is all that keeps me going at what I'm earning now. I literally made more at summer labor jobs while in high school.

4. No satisfaction in what I do - Prior to the recession I was actually pretty happy. Some projects were challenging and what I'd consider good design. Then with the downturn the work turned very undesireable. All satisfaction was killed.

Jun 23, 09 8:16 am  · 
 · 
SpoonMe

Go for it and good luck - this profession is a disaster.

Jun 23, 09 8:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Good luck. You lasted a hell of a lot longer than I did!

Jun 23, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

modular, you should come to minnesota, i am wanting to do the same thing.

Jun 23, 09 9:40 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

I don't want to open my own design firm because I care too much about design to let others dictate how its built. I would rather do both myself. Thats why I think design build is apealing to me.

I will take this time to get my are exams, and any other certifications I can get and hopefully launch something next year.

But yes, I agree that the profession is a disaster. Maybe I should found an architects union..

Jun 23, 09 9:54 am  · 
 · 
distant

what would a Union accomplish ... look at GM and Chrysler !

IMO, the problem is not primarily within firms ... it's related more to the profound disconnect between a) what the academy trains us to produce and sell, and b) what the market wants to buy from us.

(oh ... I guess that's pretty much the same as GM and Chrysler, too !)

Jun 23, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
poop876

modular,
I'm sorry to hear how you feel but I can totally understand. It is a shame that this economic downfall is making a lot of good people leave the industry. Hopefully you will be more happy with whatever you do down the road. Good luck with design built, and that sure can be more fun since!

Jun 23, 09 11:29 am  · 
 · 
med.

I know people who have left the profession and came back after a while too. You never know what happens down the road...

Don't get me wrong, I think about walking away from the profession just about every day, but I would say that there is a lack of professionalism in just about every industry. And within architecture firms, some are worse than the other. My last job, things were downright poisonous. At my current job, couldn't have met a better group of people! :)

Also I think the cultures of many other firms in the profession have taken huge hits. Layoffs, salary reductions and that kind of thing have made many environments really hostile and negative.

Jun 23, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I agree with med. The current recession has really brought a lot of negativity and vulnerability out in many lines of work, not just architects. If anything, its nice to see how people act when things are getting bad. This is a true test.

ModNY - When I first read the title of the thread, I was thinking you were going to go into a totally different line of work. Actor, Chef, Waiter, Policeman, whatever. Design-build in my opinion is a very similar line of work. Not to say this is good or bad. Just not what I expected.

In fact, I think its good that we question the validity of the general paradigm of the architect as it stands now. I don't know if its a disaster, but there are so many things that can be changed to suit our personal and professional needs. I think we'll see how the flexible and agile will stand strong during these times. When things get better (and it will), we'll see how as a profession we've evolved. We'll see more and more non-traditional "architects" and I can't wait for that.

Jun 23, 09 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh yeah... ModNY, do you have to quit if you'll be finishing up your ARE's? Couldn't they help pay for your testing or studying? I don't what kind of firm you are at or how large it is, but maybe you can take a larger stake once you become registered and shape it to more your liking?

Jun 23, 09 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the problem with architecture is TOO MUCH professionalism.

Jun 23, 09 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
odb

I think if they have slashed his salary in half, then paying for his testing is pretty much out of the question right now unfortunately.

"When things get better (and it will), we'll see how as a profession we've evolved. We'll see more and more non-traditional "architects" and I can't wait for that."

I worry that the people that actually could help the profession evolve are the ones that are just going to leave and do something else. And the ones that remain are the ones that think nothing is wrong because they are still working. I am pretty pessimistic about things improving in this profession at all. The level of smug masochism among architects is quite disturbing IMHO.

Jun 23, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
odb

Oops, I got him mixed up with another poster. But regardless, if firms are slashing salaries in half, then I wouldn't be surprised if perks like paying for ARE are long gone.

Jun 23, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
DSal

modular,
I've been considering similar action. Mainly from the 1st and 4th viewpoint. Keep us posted on how it goes. I'd be interesed in hearing a postitive story in the middle of the current market.

Like others I'm currently trapped by no other options in the middle of a salary reduction, however we don't have the added "benefit" of reduced hours...big corporate offices don't seem to care about that. Otherwise it would be a good time to explore more independent options in the "down" time. On the other hand, I'm about two months away from finishing my ARE's. So that's about the only thing that is keeping professional satisfaction going form me.

Jun 23, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

odb - I don't think it was ModNY that mentioned he got a pay cut. I think he was just unhappy with the salary in general. But of course, it still may be impossible even without a pay cut.

"I worry that the people that actually could help the profession evolve are the ones that are just going to leave and do something else"

But what will that something else be? If the talented leave and do something totally different, that would be a shame to lose them. But even if its not the traditional role of the "architect", if they're utilizing their architectural talent in some way and they're satisfied with their careers, I don't see how that would be a shame. This is another way to evolve.

"the ones that remain are the ones that think nothing is wrong because they are still working"

I don't think thats true. I think some if not most remain because they have to survive. If not for themselves, for the ones they support. Or they have no other options. Not everyone can just quit. Quitting has become a luxury or privilege.

And who are these smug masochists? especially in this economy?

Jun 23, 09 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

By the way, a design-build firm that I wanted to work for before this recession, is barely surviving right now (and so couldn't take me on). They've mentioned that they've been hit twice as hard, on the design and construction side. You actually have more exposure to volatile market conditions. There may be more risk, although we all know how that formula work with risk and reward.

Jun 23, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
4arch
the problem with architecture is TOO MUCH professionalism.

I have to completely agree with this statement.

Jun 23, 09 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
distant
"the problem with architecture is TOO MUCH professionalism"

ok - maybe I'm just dense - what are you getting at with this statement, please?

Jun 23, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
odb

By "smug masochism" I just meant that many architects (obvs. not the ones in this thread thankfully) seem to think that long hours, verbal abuse, low pay, etc. are just part of the profession and that they should be given a medal for taking it for so long, like it makes the final product better and their struggle profound. I think it's deeply unhealthy.

And I think that people leaving the profession (though I am on my way out too) is bad because a lot of the people I know that are exiting are really smart and could contribute a unique perspective to the profession as it is now. And I agree that it's good to use their architectural training (I hope and plan to), but architecture is hurting badly IMO and could use fresh ideas. It will be much harder for those harder for those ideas to make into architecture and affect things for the better if these intelligent people are no longer actively inside the profession.

I think a lot of the people that are hanging on understandably don't have the time or energy to do something new-they are just hunkering down and trying to ride this out. If and when (and I think this could very well be a 'lost decade'-I am not optimistic) this recession/depression comes to a close, they will not have had a chance to change anything.

And I know that I am lucky to even consider something different-I have some support/job search assistance from family, time to take classes in other things I am interested in, and absolutely no desire to subject myself to working in an architecture firm again.

Jun 23, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
DSal

It seems that a few of the posters in this thread have or are thinking about jumping the profession. I would be interesed in hearing some ideas or stories about those who did or are. I am questioning my own commiment for many of the reasons that have been previously stated. Although I think that deep down my enjoyment and motivation remains intact, it has been beaten down by the reality of the profession. Any thoughts/ help?

Jun 23, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I am embarking on a hybrid design-build enterprise at the moment - at the opposite end of the earth...
I'd be keen to discuss this via email with anyone interested.

Jun 23, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if anyone wants to team up in detroit..i'm game....

only thing i dont have is an arch stamp....

you will be surprised how much you learn when you actually get dirty and why tolerances in certain trades are needed/etc....

also, if you get a wore feed welder, make sure you wear leather shoes...so no loose hott wires will burn through and get stuck between your toes...ask how i know

Jun 23, 09 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i think there's some confusion in this thread about what "design-build" actually means (or at least there are a couple different definitions going on). the traditional design-build office is the designer/architect and general contractor working within the same company, but instead it seems many here simply want to make the drawings and bang it out. while i do think that's admirable to want that type of control, i also think you're going to be doomed to residential remodels, commercial interiors, and at best ground-up residential. quite often i think many forget the positives of the "design-bid-build" world, but honestly, if you're at the point it sounds like you are, modularnyc, you probably don't care.

Jun 23, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just different scales of work really...

the main part is just getting a shop going, then you can also hustle in some build work from other firms and still move ahead with your design/build ideas.

Jun 23, 09 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
dia

ps. I fully support architects getting into design & build, or development. Having spent half of my career in architecture, and half in property development/construction, there is much that can be improved upon by architects.

I will be releasing a blog account soon where you can follow our endeavours.

d

Jun 23, 09 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura
I think a lot of the people that are hanging on understandably don't have the time or energy to do something new-they are just hunkering down and trying to ride this out.

Well, anyone with half a brain that is still fully employed isn't going to upset the apple cart at this time. Then again, I still talk to people that are oblivious to the general market out there. A friend who's been buried in a major project for years didn't believe me when I showed him a story from the local AIA chapter saying unemployment among architects is near 40%. Unfortunately having a stamp (I do) in this economy is a liability it seems.

Given that statistic above I've been looking for full time employment in anything else. First looking into related professions and now into totally unrelated fields. Amazing thing about "corporate America" is they typically only require a college degree. Doesn't matter what it's in either.

I don't have any illusions that some totally unrelated field will make me happy, but the fact remains that I need full time employment. Most people can't afford a massive pay cut and that's effectively where I'm at. Funny thing about these "unrelated" jobs is how well other professions are paid. Starting salary for everything I've looked at was better than my wages (pre cut) with benefits that blow away any architecture firms.

I don't think Architecture as a profession can afford a brain drain a la 1990-91 but then again I have argued that the ranks of us do need to be trimmed. When I became one of the "statistics" of underemployed I started putting my money where my mouth is and looked elsewhere. Haven't gotten a firm offer yet but when one comes I'll probably jump ship.

Jun 24, 09 8:39 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Many companies out there will be in need of project managers soon, 1-2 years. I can't say that those companies are arhitecture firms. In the not so near future, maybe 2-5 years from now, architecture firms will need more cad monkeys to replace those who will be working as project managers for other non architecture firms.

Good luck to everyone.

Jun 24, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 
file
"I don't think Architecture as a profession can afford a brain drain a la 1990-91"

I tend to run hot-and-cold on this proposition. While I think it true that the very able tend to have greater mobility when contemplating a move from one industry to another, I also find that people who are passionate about what they do a) tend to be the most capable at that discipline, and b) tend to be the most dedicated to success within that discipline.

At some level, I tend to believe those who abandon the profession because of temporary hard-times or a general discouragement about the economic prospects of the profession never really understood what they were getting into when they embarked on a career in this profession. I also think they probably chose the profession for the wrong reasons.

While the recession of 1990-1991 clearly resulted in a loss of many capable people, I'm not convinced it resulted in a loss of the 'best and brightest'.

Jun 24, 09 11:38 am  · 
 · 
aquapura
never really understood what they were getting into when they embarked on a career in this profession

file - regarding your comment above I blame the education system. Architecture college is far removed from the realities of the profession. If the education were tailored to more closely match the realities of the job I would bet the graduating classes would be half what they currently are. Your wet behind the ears right out of senior high kid would probably not be a substantial portion of new undergrad students as is common today.

I did have a professor in college say that to truly be dedicated to the job one needed to be independantly wealthy or have wealthy friends to bail you out, i.e. FLW. Personally I take offense to anyone questioning another persons dedication without personally knowing the realities of their situation. Dedication is far more than being capable and diciplined to the job, outside factors have a huge impact. For those laid off just having a spouses income to fall back on can make all the difference in the world.

The reality is that the "best and brightest" choice to tough out or leave a profession is almost entirely dependant on things other than their passion or dedication to the job.

Jun 24, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Canary Trace

"Well, anyone with half a brain that is still fully employed isn't going to upset the apple cart at this time. Then again, I still talk to people that are oblivious to the general market out there. A friend who's been buried in a major project for years didn't believe me when I showed him a story from the local AIA chapter saying unemployment among architects is near 40%"

Wow, I had a similiar experience after our firm cut some 'fat' last week. When I mentioned what a difficult time it would be to look for work right now, I was told by a department head that "most of what we're hearing out there has been overblown. I don't think that things are really that bad". I didn't even know what to say. I am thankful every single day that I have a job in the profession I love and have a position where I feel like I am contributing! I just went back to my cube rather than get into an argument. The 'fat' that was cut will be missed and I wish them the best.

Jun 24, 09 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: