Archinect
anchor

Pillow, bed sheets, and blankets in NYC.

archiwhat

I’ve got an email from Columbia summer housing saying
«Your room is fully furnished, but linens (towel, pillow, bed sheets, and blankets) are NOT provided. You must bring these items with you or purchase them in the city when you arrive.»

Where the hell am I supposed to get those things since I’m not going to bring them with me from the other side of the world? (well, maybe I will bring a pillow but that’s so silly). Can I rent it somehow? I can’t believe they don’t provide this service. Is this a normal thing?

Jun 22, 09 2:57 am
logon'slogin

I never thought life would be so hard.

Jun 22, 09 3:01 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

uh bed bath and beyond?

good luck, must be tough...

Jun 22, 09 3:23 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Well, not so funny to me as my suitcase is going to be really heavy and fat. And I was hoping to bring a few books with me..

Jun 22, 09 3:34 am  · 
 · 
Rodeo Queen

That's insane. I would write a letter to the Dean if I were you.

Jun 22, 09 8:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think that NYC has a few linen stores, i think.

Jun 22, 09 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

Bedbugs.

Jun 22, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

really? didn't know about that.

Jun 22, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

I don't see why you need these things. Nobody sleeps or showers in architecture school.

Jun 22, 09 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

get used to Columbia not providing "services".

you're in new york now. you better get used to doing stuff on your own!!!

Jun 22, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i expect that if i were to go to an Ivy that a wake up call from a sexy receptionist would be standard. is that not the case?

Jun 22, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

This post has to be a joke. What do you think Columbia Housing is, a Hostel? I've never had pillows and linens provided in any university i've been at, and frankly I wouldn't want them if they were....I don't relish the idea of sleeping in some else's linens. University housing is like a regular apartment...you're lucky furniture even comes with it, most don't. There is a large Bed Bath and Beyond at 6th Ave and 18th Street...good luck.

Jun 22, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

I keep getting emails from Charles P. Rogers informing me that I can get FREE bed linens and FREE delivery with the purchase of a new bed.

Did you hear that???? FREE!

Jun 22, 09 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

I understand all these items are complimentary when you intern with Peter Cook's office in the Hamptons. Hi yo!

Jun 22, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
estyle

I have to say, that I don't think it is unreasonable to expect this stuff.

In the 1990s I went to summer language school at Middlebury a couple of times and there was a service that rented sheet--and you could trade them in each week. (yes, I know, Camp Middlebury. But intensive language study is rough so sheets cleaned by someone else were great). So someone in NYC is missing out on an opportunity to make money.

That said, I believe you can preorder from Bed Bath and Beyond. Just go to the store to pick up when you get there. I know a couple of people who have done this for college recently. However, you might do better price-wise at a dollar store. But if I were coming half way around the world I would do the easy thing. They might even deliver to the office.

Enjoy!

Jun 22, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
dia

remember - bring your own clothing.

Jun 22, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

or maybe they can rent you rent some undies

Jun 22, 09 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

OK, I'm already happy I don't have to buy a bed and bring it with me.

Thanx, I'll try to preorder as I don't think the store is open when I arrive after 10 hours of flying(

Jun 23, 09 12:17 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

preorder?? has anyone heard of online shopping? get this - they even deliver it right to your door! even in columbia housing they have some dude dressed in a blue uniform who brings this stuff to your door if you pay online for any such goods. it is a miracle.

and...i was grateful that my housing DID NOT have furniture. that sh*t is ugly and uncomfortable.

Jun 23, 09 1:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Yes, I meant online. Not sure though I'll be able to indicate a room as I don't know yet in which res. halls I'll be living.

Jun 23, 09 1:39 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

i think you over analyze too much. pack one sheet and sleep on top of it in your pjs first night. nyc isnt cold.

then next day go get bedding.

Jun 23, 09 3:52 am  · 
 · 
dia

would the other side of the world happen to be the Spratly Islands? If so, you would make a lot more sense...

Jun 23, 09 6:20 am  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

with resent bed bug infestation, I would bring my own matters as well...

Jun 23, 09 7:36 am  · 
 · 
landcake

you might want to bring your own eco-conscious diapers too.

Jun 23, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
long haul trucker

You should just withdraw now.

Jun 23, 09 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

if this is a dilemma for you then you should definitely give up now.

Jun 23, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

you might want to bring your own eco-conscious diapers too
pre-filled with decomposer

Jun 24, 09 12:41 am  · 
 · 
n400

Every time I see the title of his thread, I want to be in bed under lots of blankets with my head buried in a pile of down feather pillows. I thought it was going to be about collecting donations for the homeless. If you're willing to rent sheets, you should just buy them at Goodwill or something and give them back when you leave.

Jun 24, 09 1:03 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

I see I'll have to spent a few dozens dollars on that staff. Nobody here finds it strange but I do. Why everyone thinks it's disgusting to rent sheets? Have you ever lived in a hotel while on holidays? I was hoping for all that money I paid I deserve at least a pillow(((

Jun 24, 09 1:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

I think I'm gonna get drunk on my first night there and sleep in my clothes so I don't notice any inconvenience.

Jun 24, 09 1:25 am  · 
 · 
athenaeum

this post is clearly a joke. good one archiwhat.

Jun 24, 09 2:05 am  · 
 · 
Japhy
Bed-in-a-Bag!
Jun 25, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Wait, wait! I found something even better!

Jun 25, 09 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
n400

Yeah yous should go to that craigslist ad cause its probably from a hotel. I'll take it if you don't wabnt it, but I'm scared they'll get my e-mail address.

Jun 27, 09 5:56 am  · 
 · 
Keegan

Hi, well you are sharing the useful info. thanks....
but here this site and more info. about Pillow, bed sheets, and blankets.

Tommy Bahama Blanket

Jun 27, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Wow, i've been living in New York for five years and i have yet to find a linens shop. Who knew in a city this big there would be such a shortage of places to buy sheets and the like.

But in all seriousness archiwhat there's a BB&B on broadway near Lincoln Center in the 60s. Also, there is a linens store on broadway south of the 88th st subway station (it may be closer to 79th st its been a year since i was in the UWS).

Oh, and when you get here don't expect too much of unis and employers to help you out with that kind of stuff. You're in New York City, welcome to hard mode.

Jun 27, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: