Archinect
anchor

Staying Up to Date

Hello all,

Here recently I have taken a year of from school due to financial reasons and will be going back in the next upcoming Fall into my third year of architectural studies. This is the first time that I have been out of school and find myself feeling a bit uneasy of not having the pressure of a project due and not being around architecture on a 24/7 basis.

Im just curious to know if anybody else has been in this position before, and what did you do to overcome it?

Any advice as to some alternative things to do while on my "off season" please feel free to post.

Dec 26, 13 1:04 pm

BTW I currently work full time at an HVAC firm as a CAD Drafter using AutoCad

Dec 26, 13 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Just read Archinect every day to stay in the loop!

Seriously, I took a year off during grad school and worked in a firm.  It was an eye-opening experience to be in the workforce for a loner term than a summer break, for the first time since starting my education at age 5.  When I went back to school I had a greater awareness of the luxury of school - time to ponder ideas, read, research, experiment with no express goal beyond learning, etc. - and IMO did a much better thesis project because of it.

Also, try to sketch every day.  Keep your eyes and hands nimble.

Dec 26, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Nice

Go to lectures and AIA events in your area. Also, maybe subscribe to an architectural magazine or journal if you have the funds available. I know Donna said to read Archinect everyday which may or may not have been a joke, but staying up to date is pretty easy with free access to many websites that are similar to Archinect.

Dec 26, 13 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the replies, I guess i forgot to mention a few things

-While at work  or in my free time between Archinect & Architizer I try to read  an article a day and try to sketch twice a week.

Also I completely agree with the statement you made Donna about seeing things different in school after working in the field. Although i do not work at an actual architectural firm, my company works as a sub-contractor in commercial projects. And i too get the feeling and understanding of how actual construction of projects work.

And i guess i can find AIA events and lectures through AIA website or my school?

Dec 26, 13 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Dating is a healthy thing. Staying up to date is hella worth it! Yes, final answer; Do it!!!

Dec 28, 13 2:09 am  · 
 · 

Thanks the for feedback..Somewhere in the near future I would like to take the LEED Green Associate exam. So i think ill start dedicating time towards that as well.

Jan 2, 14 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Make sure you pass it before June 2014. The new LEED v4 will be harder and cost more in term of study materials and time.

Jan 4, 14 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Really? Any ideas as to what is changing?

Jan 8, 14 8:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: