Archinect
anchor

partitioned hard drive

Ok not really the best place to post this question, but it's really the only forum I know so...

does anyone know how my hard drive might be almost completely full yet I cannot determine where this memory is coming from (i.e. adding up all programs, files, music, etc, don't begin to add up to a full hard drive). Is it possible that half of this is partitioned somewhere and I can't see those files? If so how do I get to it and erase the redundant files. By the way running windows vista, which sucks.

thanks

Jun 12, 09 5:10 pm
manamana
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

have you done any video editing and perhaps left the raw imported footage lying around?

Jun 12, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

could also be windows updates--they do add up after a while… also, when's the last time you "defragged"?

Jun 12, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

There's a program called "CCleaner" that identifies and removes common spacehogging files that aren't needed (you can set it and decide what you want to keep and what you want to delete), pretty well-respected from what I understand: http://www.ccleaner.com/

There's also a program called "WinDirStat" that crawls your hard drive and makes a graphical representation of what files are taking up space where (I don't think it involves deleting anything): http://windirstat.info/

(both free)

Jun 12, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

I personally like ccleaner a lot, have it set to be a right click option on the recycle bin. I have it set not to mess with my Firefox cache, cookies and stuff, among other things; you might want to tweak it if you decide to use it.

Jun 12, 09 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

Oh, wait -- I guess windirstat is quite similar to the link manamana posted.

Jun 12, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: