Archinect
anchor

Project Management path with B.S. Architecture, Master degree?

abbyann

I have been out of school for a couple of years and was not able to find an entry architecture position after earning my BS Architecture in 2011.  Instead I leveraged my CAD skills to find a job creating line drawings for an AV/IT company and have transitioned into a proposal writer/project manager role.

With my current experience in managing projects I know I want to pursue a PMP at some point in my career, but realize I probably need to get a master degree to transition back to the construction/architecture industry.  I feel like I have gained some great general management and business skills, but have not had the opportunity to get any exposure to what an architecture firm is like (apart from a few co-ops/internships through my undergrad).  Ultimately, I would like to be a project manager or a similar role in a design/build firm. 

I am worried about not being able to work while getting my masters and coming out with a ton of debt.  I have been thinking about an MBA, MArch, MSCM, or anywhere in between.

Some programs that have piqued my interest:

IIT- Dual Degree Master of Architecture/Master of Integrated Building Delivery

*90k price tag

IIt- Master of Integrated Building Delivery

IIT- Master of Design/MBA Dual Degree

*70K price tag, but can work while attending.

I have listed IIT, but I am not constrained to any particular state or city. Any suggestions??

Are project management positions in firms usually occupied only by licensed architects? Is MArch still the way to go coupled with a PMP?

What unique degrees/education paths are desired by firms, outside a traditional MArch?

Any high earning positions in firms that don't necessarily require an MArch?

Thanks!

Dec 23, 13 12:53 pm
Beepbeep

get a cm degree many masters are even online and made for working professionals so you don't have to quit your job or LTU has an online 15 month m.arch that you could do while you work too.  Drexel has a online construction management program and a several concentrations from project management to real estate development. and if you want to go to school and not work or part time just go to your closest state school with that has what you are looking for. Many of the construction programs are made to be part-time for working professionals and you would probably earn more than a M.arch   

Dec 23, 13 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: