Archinect
anchor

Portable harddrive, firewire + usb2....

TED

well, my 1.5 year old dell laptop hard drive is on its way out [moaning and indications from diagnosis some bad sectors....]

dell had sent me a replacement drive, but now i want to get a portable drive before i switch it out. as i dont have firewire or usb2, i know i have to do that bit also. i have a network card for my dsl in the slot so i will get a small port for the usb2/firewire bit read is faster.

any suggestions on portable hard drive you all like? a bit tired of the heavy dell so size matters....what other criteria should i consider? price always an issue. thanks.

Oct 15, 04 7:26 am
trace™

I like my Maxtor 250 gig drive. Affordable, and I hear the software is decent (although, for some aweful reason, I don't use it), and it's fast.

PC Mag just did a comparison of a bunch of them.

Oct 15, 04 8:46 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I bought the 60G Lacie drive. Its super good looking and really small. Its a slightly overpriced due to porsche name on it, but I got a good deal on ebay. lacie

Oct 15, 04 9:48 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

anything smaller than 100G - get an iPod or any other media device player, otherwise its just not worth the $$

Oct 15, 04 9:52 am  · 
 · 
ovalle

lacie all the way.., althought my iomega 120 gig usb2 and firewire.. is very nice as well

Oct 15, 04 10:32 am  · 
 · 
punkt

I use my 40GB ipod, works nicely, i should just get a USB2.0 cable for it as not all pc's have firewire..

Oct 15, 04 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy

I can recommend the Maxtor - we have a couple of drives in the studio, and that one never has any trouble. Thing is solid.

Oct 15, 04 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ive had 2 maxtor 80 gigs have have crapped out on me..but this was about an year back
i like my 250G iomega a lot, but its adivsed not to move it around a lot.

Oct 15, 04 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Get an internal desktop harddrive (Seagate / Maxtor / Western Digital) and install it in an external aluminum harddrive casing with firewire / USB2... It'll be cheaper and its the same thing as an external drive. Installation is easy... Just slide it in, plug in two cables and you're set.... If you buy an external drive at a smaller computer shop, the drives are usually made this way.

I bought a 200 GB Western Digital internal drive, plus a USB2 aluminum external case for about $160 total... You might be able to build one even cheaper if you hunted for a cheaper case.

Oct 16, 04 4:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: