Archinect
anchor

Sourcing Used Materials

FOUAD

Has anyone found a good source online for searching and finding used and/or readymade materials?

We are currently looking for used translucent white rigid plastic tubing.

If anyone has had any luck and feels like sharing I'd be greatful!

Jun 1, 09 11:19 am
anti

I second the interest.

Jun 1, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

also interested, unexperienced

Jun 1, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

not online, but... many cities have used/recycled building materials centers...

and you can also check out the city dump (ask people there too... they might know of other places).

Jun 1, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Not the same, but it wasn't too hard to get what I was looking for with a few phone calls. I want a Freitag bag, but I'm not shelling out $200-300 for trash that someone sewed together. Called up a print house, got some heavy weight printed banners that they usually throw out(very similar to the ones used by Freitag, a bit different, but very strong). FREE. Called up a junk yard to get some seat belts from a jaw-of-lifed minivan. FREE. So I only paid $6 for that strap adjusty thingy and I'll need some velcro.

The best part was the dude at the junk yard. He only had one arm, and in place of his hand, he had crafted this awesome T-800 metal hand from bent screws. It was pretty badass. I bet he could put the grip on some stuff better than with a standard hook.

Jun 1, 09 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
vvvijay

what toasteroven said.

in the uk, these are centres are free to use for educational, non-profit uses... building materials + a whole load of other stuff.
i think individuals/businesses pay a small fee, i think.

Jun 2, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

you know - it's really hard to post this salvaged stuff online - at one town dump around here, there are people who literally wait in the parking lot to see what other people drop off... much of it never even makes it into the dump.

I'd also ask at your local hacker space where they source their materials - I know they sometimes have swaps (bring in something and take something that someone else brings in), and often turn donations away because they don't have the space.

craiglist or freecycle are other good places to watch (if you have the time) or request things...

Jun 2, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: