Archinect
anchor

Anyone used LG Hi-macs ? thoughts, advice and experiences please

accesskb

Hi,
Just wondering if any have experirence using LG's Hi-macs? Is it easy to work with? shape? What do I use to join them? Do I need special fire torches or oven to heat them for shaping? Can they be melted? applied to a spherical shaped object? and advice will be appreciated... How much do they cost btw? Can I buy them at RONA or HomeDepot etc?

thanks

May 31, 09 6:27 am
liberty bell

A very brief previous thread, but mainly I'm trying to bump this thread, because I know there are people here who not only know Hi-Macs but love it.

Jun 1, 09 7:24 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Lowe's carries LG Hi-macs. From what I've heard if you can do it with Corian you can do it with Hi-macs.

Jun 1, 09 8:30 am  · 
 · 

LG Hi-Macs are about 1/3 the cost of Corian and can be special ordered up to almost 4" thick - and the selection to me seem far less dorky

Jun 1, 09 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

thanks

architectnophilia: do you know how thin I can get them in? and where can I order them?

Jun 1, 09 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

i'd find out who your local lowe's contractors are, if they'll tell you. we did counters and sinks from lowe's and they were very particular about having a design beforehand, not doing anything weird, and having all work done by THEIR contractor.

the contractor, however, was very open to messing with things and, ultimately, was the one responsible for the sourcing. our guy was just a local installer who specialized in solid surfacing - mainly counters.

we love the hi-macs product. we chose it because it was cheap and we used arctic white because, even though it was by far our favorite, it was the cheapest color. it has a wonderful luminous soapy look.

i don't know about shaping because ours was just done in sheets, but all joining was just done with a cement. wasn't invisible when put together at first, but then they buffed it out after it dried and you can't see the joints.

Jun 2, 09 7:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: