Archinect
anchor

Study Abroad or Field Study Requirement?

Larchinect

I'm trying to finish my BSLA and we are required to complete a summer studio or study abroad, each of which costs upwards of $3K. I have no idea how to pay for this and honestly feel it's incredibly restrictive (not to mention a big huge rip off). It would be a shame for this to delay my graduation.

I guess this is just a rant, but is this a common requirement? Is there typically any way to get out of it?

I tried asking if I could apply my summer internship experience toward it to no avail. It sounds like the tuition is what theyre after.

May 29, 09 7:34 pm
iheartbooks

In my opinion, any chance to study abroad is worth its weight in gold. After having gone through it, I can look back and see how much my time traveling and studying with my classmates abroad changed the way I think about architecture and life in general. Think of this as an amazing opportunity rather then a burden. If you choose the study abroad path I'm sure you will not regret it.

May 31, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I've come to the conclusion that there are (a lot) of people out there who just dont understand that some people cannot afford certain things.

May 31, 09 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Sorry, I was just trying to help.

If you don't want people’s opinion do not post on the discussion boards.

My point was that you shouldn't be tying to get out of your school’s requirements. It is better to see them as opportunities, and learn as much as you can while you have the chance.

Good luck anyways.

May 31, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I was in a pissy mood, you're right. Though I still think it's a big huge rip off.

Jun 1, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: