Archinect
anchor

Must have books

Parry

I'm in the early stages of looking into M.Arch programs. My undergrad is in design and while I will hopefully be taking some summer courses, I'm curious what the forum might recommend in terms of books. Any great drawing books, theory, history or others? Must haves? Thanks in advance for your response.

May 29, 09 11:44 am
iheartbooks

the VERB series of book or (boogazines) are my favorites currently. they are extrmely relevent to what is happening currently in architecutre, and are filled with both projects and theory. CRISIS, and CONNECTIONS are my favorite right now, but you can find others that are more towards your own intrests.

May 29, 09 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

You can't go wrong with Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. For classical theory, try Vitruvius 10 books and Ruskin's 7 Lamps. I really like Moneo's Theoretical Anxiety, Tschumi's State of Architecture (I'm reading it now) and Architecture and Disjunction. Maybe Jacob's Death and Life. My recent reads, aside from Tschumi, include Collapse, Cradle to Cradle, Small is Beautiful, Biomimicry, and Design on the Edge, as well as the Metopolos Dictionary of Advanced Architecture for reference. As far as drawing goes, anything by Mike Lin. I'm sure there are more, but it's lunch time and my brain is turned off.

May 29, 09 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Although new threads on the same topic do not bother me, if you search for books you will find some interesting discussions and recommendations that I have found very helpful.

I am currently reading Modern Architecture since 1900 which does a fantastic job of connecting the theories and buildings to a broader context while avoiding pitfalls of a linear progression theory. It is a great way to build a contextual base, especially for an undergraduate student.

Informal by Cecil Balmond provides an interesting percpective as he is a structural engineer. It is a relatively short read that provides insights into process and how structure can influence it.

A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History is not an architecture book but is read by architects (does that make sense) It is part Urbanism part Economist part Philosophy. Another great way of creating a contextual base.

Theoretically Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Work of Eight Contemporary Architects by Rafael Moneo is a very easy to read insight into the theories and Designs of some great architects.

Some books on my summer list:

The Eyes of the Skin
The Death and Life of Great American Cities
A thousand Plateaus
Space and Place
For and Architecture of Reality

Of course, reading architecture and philosophy excusively is depressing. I am always reading good fiction in conjuction with the Arch stuff

May 29, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
ocotillo

Good luck with A Thousand Plateaux. read an excerpt in Spiller's Cyber Reader. What's the opposite of beach reading? prison reading, maybe? put on 100 pounds of muscle while soaking in the rhizome. in solitary.

and yes, you can go wrong with The Fountainhead. i blame it for the ongoing demographic of self-righteous quasi-fascist MBAs, politicians, and i guess foolish architects. come to think of it, i'm going to reread it right now, just to reload my ammunition. once i finish The War as a Source of National Renewal ;-(

May 29, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

The Fountainhead was a fun read.

The Edifice Complex is supposed to be an interesting book...just ordered it from amazon

Death and Life of Great American Cities is a great book

Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander is a hot (yet controversial) topic at UO.

Devil and the White City is a fantastic architectural related non fiction novel and a super fun read. Seriously its one of the most entertaining books I've read in a while.

I also heard (shameless plug) its worth checking out www.talkitect.com for some interesting articles. It is always looking for contributors also.

And if you haven't read The Song of Ice and Fire (A game of Thrones is the first book of the series) go get it. Its fantastic regardless of whether you like fantasy or not.

May 29, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

1. The Dynamics of Architectural Form
2. The Mathematics of the ideal Villa and Other Essays
3. Modern Architecture - A Critical History
4. Towards a New Architecture
5. Space, Time and Architecture
6. S,M,L,XL

these are for sure must haves and if somebody in the architecture field didn't read these...then I would question everything they do!
If you go thorough these, regardless if you agree or not, they will give you a really good background and knowledge in the architecture theory and history!

Good luck!

May 29, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

oh yeah...almost forgot
Peter Eisenmans Diagram Diaries...which is a very good book on diagrams and and analytical thinking

May 29, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Neil Spiller's Visionary Architecture.

May 29, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
innes

1. The Architecture of the City
2. Scientific Autobiography
both by Aldo Rossi

3. Learning from Las Vegas
Venturi/Scott-Brown/Izenour

4. Translations from Drawing to Building & other Essays
Robin Evans

5. Atlas of Novel Tectonics
Jesse Reiser

The Fountainhead is a trash novel

May 29, 09 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
dallas0427

About half way through Le Corbusier [A LIFE] and its a great read

May 29, 09 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

i also suggest you do a search, you will find alot of repeated books, and maybe those are the ones you want to get, if they fit your interests.

as a change though, try looking a the bldgblog book of bldgblog.blogspot.com

May 30, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Yumtoder

R. Buckminster Fuller; Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth

May 30, 09 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Yumtoder

John Hejduk: Education of an Architect

May 30, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
mjh33

perhaps too particular but still good. . .

Histories of the Immediate Present - Vidler

Transparency / Mathematics of the Ideal Villa - Rowe/Slutzky
(transparency)

Ten Canonical Buildings - Eisenman

Theory and Design of the First Machine Age - Banham

Towards a New Architecture - Le Corbusier

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information - Tufte (for fun)

May 31, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

why don't you choose one history book covering 19th century, modernism and after, one architectural design methodology book (like TU Delft's Design and Analysis or Geoffrey Baker's An Analysis of Form or, more epically, Colin Rowe (Eisenman might be too eccentric as an opener) and one design-orientated environmental & sustainability book. you can also add one book to counter the formalism of the form design methodology book with one that 'reads' cities and cultures as constructs of cultural peculiarity rather than formal solipsism...something nice and involving like Flesh and Stone: The Body in Western Cvilization.
drawing wise...there's a book that looks interesting 'Cinemetrics: Architectural Drawing today; though I've only glanced through it)..let them be modest in size, so you don't get too upset too bored too quickly.

May 31, 09 5:25 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

along those line, an amazing book is space time and architecture-siegfried giedion

May 31, 09 7:14 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Mask Of Medusa

I have no clue what kind of architect you want to be, but a healthy mix of books other than architects might help. I am reading The Man Without Qualities now. Read Invisible Man - Ellison; I always recommend that one. I like Douglas Cooper's books; Amnesia being one. Robbe-Grillet is another author I like. I read Mourning Becomes Electra; a short play. Crash; J.G. Ballard.

In general I am trying to read things that tend to support the direction I am trying to move. I have a lot the books above, but if I start to read one, and can't get a sense of this being additive, then I drop it for the moment and may consider it later.

May 31, 09 7:27 am  · 
 · 
msudon

-any Ralph Rapson book compilation for inspiring and whimsical drawings

-Also I enjoy The Architectural League of New York's Young Architects Competition and its published results. link Its a nice way to see interesting work that isn't already salivated to death on archdaily/a daily dose/blgdblog etc.

Jun 1, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
aldorossi

I'll second poop's list. The Mathematics of the Ideal Villa should be the first one you crack open, IMHO. His writing can be a bit dense at times, but anything by Rowe is enriching.

Also, Bruno Zevi: Architecture as Space. Lays a solid foundation for everything else.

Jun 2, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

hey, aldo, i have a few of yours....

Jun 2, 09 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

"Suburban Nation" The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of Nation

.. i think the title speaks for itself, this book investigates the differences between our sprawling burbs and traditional communities. it investigates the social, economical and environmental consequences of sprawl

the book also goes into detail of all the specific components of each type of development and their role.. i.e. road width, alleys, building facade, parking, etc etc etc...

this is a real down to earth book, with real explanations and solutions of how proper urban design is profitable for builders, socially essential, environmental essential, etc etc etc

Jun 3, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: