Archinect
anchor

Zaha Hadid: recommend indepth books/links/articles/periodicals etc

accesskb

I've been using Rhino for not too long and already fallen in love with this software, especially its NURBS surfacing tools. We all know Zaha's studio relies on Rhino heavily when designing their projects. Although I'm not a fan of most of her work, I'm curious about the process they go through from creating a digital model to constructing the actual work.

Do any of you recommend any articles, links, books, periodicals etc that talk more about the technologies/process used to design/build her work rather than the usual eye-candy pics we see so often... I'm interested in seeing some detailed/construction drawings, discussions on how the geometry is built, optimized in 3D so it can be fabricated, how they fabricate it, technical issues etc ..

thanks

May 29, 09 9:52 am
ichweiB

Maya too- go to her studio website and die Angewandte and you can get some info. I've seen the process-more or less its intense 3d modeling in Maya and then fabrication with routing and 3d printing to study form. this more or less is then taken into actual fabrication. i dont know of any books off the top of my head

May 29, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

her practice uses(outsourced maybe?) maxwell for the renderings.

check the maxwell render forums for more info on that.

May 29, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^^ thanks.. i'm not interested in her renderings

May 29, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
simples

funny, i was about to make a crack at how deep zaha's architecture indepth books/links/articles/periodicals could really be, and then realized it was about how she relies on Rhino heavily when designing their projects, and then it all makes sense!

accesskb, she has a building supposed to go up in lansing-mi with some exterior curved metal panels...as soon as it is completed and goes through freeze-thaw, i hope to report on the state of the final built-work...

May 29, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

the best resource for Zaha that I've seen recently is the GA Document issue #99, it's a special issue just on your favorite architect :)))

I was at the Tate Modern bookshop and saw Zaha's new book which was very disappointing (very few images and almost no drawings), then I found this issue (more like mini-book) and bought it immediately!

when I visited a friend who works at her office a couple of days later, I found numerous copies of the same issue!

p.s. GA Document is like the El-Croquis of Japan

May 30, 09 2:10 am  · 
 · 
outed

i think there is a book in the 'digital' series that focuses on hadid's work...yep, called 'digital hadid'. should tell you a lot about the process in the studio itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Hadid-Patrik-Schumacher/dp/3764301724/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243692465&sr=8-1

May 30, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: