Archinect
anchor

astronomy/ arstrology in architecture

harihara sudhan

Hello everyone, I am an Architect in Chennai, India. I m now designing a marriage hall ,in Chennai. I have an idea of designing it by including astrological parameter.My idea is to bring the sun light directly to hit the "homa kundam", during all the auspicious days for marriage. Can any one help me out?

Dec 17, 13 11:22 am
Non Sequitur

Astronomy is a science based method of observation which relies on a rich history of research, exploration and demonstrations. Astrology is a bullshit filled grab-bag of ancient superstitions with no relevance to the real world. Which one is it that your are working with?

Dec 17, 13 11:30 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What do you need help on? Figuring out how to ensure it works? Suggesting design elements? Showing you which way is North?

Dec 17, 13 11:32 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

astrology isn't any less relevant than a lot of the crap tossed around in archibabble circles.

this thread may or may not be of interest:

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/65137747/please-help-astronomy-astrology-and-architecture-dissertation-topic

Dec 17, 13 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

sounds like you need a sun diagram?  Why not make it so that the sun comes through an opening and aligns with a lens on the day of the marriage vaporizing the groom and bride with a death ray.  That sounds like more fun!

Dec 17, 13 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Curt, I agree.

If I see one more parti based on points of interest hundreds of miles (even blocks, really) away from the site I might vomit.

Dec 17, 13 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But think about the building's "chi"

Dec 17, 13 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

here is an idea

pictures

Dec 17, 13 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Holwy shit, that star axis is wild.

Dec 17, 13 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

harihara sudhan

I work for an Indian architecture firm in the U.S. - anyway, if you know Revit, you can set up a model where you can set your model to true north, then set the sun angle to what it would be during homa kundam - and  design to accommodate the light during this  time phase.

Dec 17, 13 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
DMS-USA

Oh yeah!!!  That would be =so= cool!!!!! 

I'm a real aficionado of ancient architecture, especially buildings with astronomically aligning properties.

Examine slit shaped openings... Those were a popular method of marking solar time.  You should be able to conceive something incorporating that technique.  You need to make the slits like gun ports in old castles... So the sunlight is shaded by narrow edges, which will prolong the effect.  Use your CAD / BIM system to place the building in it's correct geographic context, and it should be pretty easy.  If it goes forward, just be sure to mock it up on site before construction and check your scheme against the sky to get it 'right-on'.

Dec 17, 13 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
harihara sudhan

thanks for your comments.

I am doing a study on this topic 'Astronomy in Architecture'..

Astronomy as design parameter in buildings. To explore the idea of bringing the sun rays to touch a specific spot at a specific time on a specific date in an annually recurring manner.

To expand this idea to making changes in the oreintation,fenestration of the built form and to let the beholder experience the beauty of the full moon, new moon,celestial zodiac star formations from with in the house or certain areas of the built form.

To make architectural design sensitive to the macro universe and enriching the experience of the human inside the built form through precise astronomy.

Memorials, Marriage halls,Observatories,I S R O, and even Malls, Commercial and residential projects could benefit from this study. Apart from having overall impact on the way urban design and street orientation could result in greater sensitivity and spatial celestial experience to the common citizen. 

Jan 29, 14 1:09 am  · 
 · 
jcr

Archaeoastronomy. Search it!

I align openings in windows, walls, shadows using ArchiCAD all the time.

An architecture professor of mine way back lit the altar of the church on Easter Sunday in all of his projects.  All the ancient cultures have done the same for 1,000's of years.

Jan 29, 14 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: