Archinect
anchor

Returning To Previous Firm

InOutAbout

Slight Dilemma:

I recently graduated and I was very fortunate to have an internship immediately after graduation (10 days after) in a well known-firm in Asia. That being said, it felt like catching a medicine ball without warning – I got jaded for the first month. I think primarily because I worked immediately after school and really didn't take a break after graduation, thus everything seemed indifferent. However, I was back in tune for the remaining 2 months.

I left a positive impression to both of my supervisors in the 3 month span; I conveyed a lot of care to the work I was given – I liked the work. After the internship concluded, I had the choice to apply for staff or extend my internship, I declined both because I wanted to see and spend time with my family whom I have been away from for many years. But I just also needed time to really breathe and think things through. During this long existential break, I applied to firms back in the States, no offers at all. The funny thing is that I started to miss the context of my work (a little more than the work itself) as soon as I was on the way to the airport. Since I have been home, I have been appreciating and embracing the time with my family, I also applied to about 15 firms but no offers. Always in the back of my mind I hear, "go back." 

So my questions for everyone:

- How many of you returned to your previous firms? Did you need to see what was "out there" before deciding on your return? 

- Am I being too naive? Am I relying too much on my whims? 

To be honest, without trying to sound egotistical, and I apologize if I am; but I am the kind of guy who can find value and learn something from any work setting. I over think. I particularly applied to this firm because of the care of craft and detail (this is in Pacific Asia), and I got to see the fruits of the labor (and the rotting nature of over-labor from the work culture). But I know what I want to focus on. I could still keep applying to specific firms in the States, maybe I'll get a bite, but I feel like I may be throwing away an experience that may set a strong foundation for how I design and perceive design. 

I apologize for my naivete. I am only young, blindly optimistic, and annoying.

Your thoughts, opinions, and trolling are more than welcome!

Dec 13, 13 10:52 pm
DeTwan

What exactly is your question?

What whims are you relying on?

Has the initial firm that you did your internship with even upheld the offer of returning to this day?

I think that you may just be questioning if architecture is even for you.

Here are some questions to ask yourself...

1) Do you like cubicles?

2) Do you like looking into computer screens for 10hours a day?

3) Do you like to work past dark?

4) Do you like $14 an hour?

5) Do you like recessions?

Repeat questions 1-5 after initial economic downturn...

Dec 14, 13 7:04 am  · 
 · 

People can (and do) return to places they've worked before.  From an employer's perspective, you know exactly what you're getting when re-hiring.

but in your case, I'm not sure that is good.  You sound like a total nitwit so they might prefer to avoid you.

Dec 14, 13 9:50 am  · 
 · 
InOutAbout

DeTwan:

What am I asking? Essentially, have any of you returned to your previous firms? If so, why? 

Those 5 questions are irrelevant. Maybe those questions are relevant for you and dictate your choices. Not for me. Everyone is different. 

HandsumCa$hMoneyYo

Why do I sound like a total nitwit? 

Because I want to go back or because how I express my self? 

Dec 14, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 
poop876

WOW you applied to 15 firms and no response!?!? Must be really bad out there...

Did you read any of the posts where people apply to hundreds of firms all over the states and nothing?

Dec 14, 13 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Veuxx
Why is the archinect community so hostile and acidic?

The poor guy was looking for genuine advice and is very young. We can be better than this
Dec 14, 13 10:52 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Sounds like you have a job waiting for you in Asia, and since your search for a USA position have not been successful, you should take the job in Asia.  Build your skills and portfolio there and learn an Asian language while there. These things will help you land a job in the USA someday.  Returning to a firm is no big deal, especially at your young age.

Dec 14, 13 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

cause it's a cruel whole so there's no use sugarcoating it here.

read the original post & thnk about your actions with the firm.  thye spend 3 months training you only to have you decline staying on because you miss your family (wtf?  are you 6 years old?  I want my mommy!!! ) and now after you had a break and a chance ot think about it, you decide that maybe you want to go back.

That's some weak shit.  there's hundreds of young grads looking for jobs who are far more reliable than that.

Dec 14, 13 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

my best advice is that in general, you aren't the only one who feels like this.  everyone your age and in your position feels exactly the same, and you should stop thinking in terms of you being the only one struggling internally, because you're not.  my suggestion would be to try and get a job with them again, but if you can't there's really nothing you can do.  you just learned an important lesson.  welcome to being an adult.

Dec 14, 13 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
If you haven't burned the bridge already, go back. Then, keep looking for the job you want, especially if they are abusing you in this one.
Dec 14, 13 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Veuxx, I wonder too.

Original Poster: if you can find something of value wherever you work you are already an excellent team member and employee. Good. It's a great attitude to have in our often-frustrating profession. I've worked with people who boomeranged back to the same office after leaving, and it was great: the firm knew what we were getting and the employee knew too but was more focused. You sound like you actually enjoyed the work where you were in Asua, and can continue to learn there. It seems like a good opportunity still. I say go for it.
Dec 14, 13 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I second Donna's comments and wold add that you need to paint a picture of where you want to be professionally and how that fits in with you working for this firm in Asia. You need to have a career plan that is laid out so the firm who may want to bring you back on knows that you have a commitment backed by a detailed thought out plan. Map out what you want to doing the next three years and how that helps the firm you want to work for.

have a plan then go asking.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Dec 30, 13 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: