Archinect
anchor

What do you call this?

evilplatypus

Saw this little building in Brooklyn and thought worthy of discussion: I like the brick and windows. It just seems like a nice place to go shoot baskets. I think its the norman bricks and raked joints kind of gives off that 1880 vibe.

This was the building pointed to in that famous "end of an era" rant the times ran about starchitecture in November.

link

May 13, 09 10:28 am
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm not sure what you'd call it, but i see Scarpa and Wright in that building.

May 13, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

it says ecclesiastical to me more than athletic.

May 13, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's funny and very close to charming, though I imagine the neighbors all walk by and wonder why it has a big "blank" brick wall instead of more windows.

The scale of the (cast?) stone detailing to the size of the walls is what makes it kind of funny. It's cute, though I'm not sure cute is what they were after.

Also, the asymmetry makes it accessible, though again I imagine the neighbors might just think it looks lopsided.

It reminds me of the Library sign above the entry to the Scogin Elam Atlanta Buckhead Branch: when that building was published a resident said of the sign, which mixed upper and lower case letters, that it was "all wrong". I'll bet a lot of people feel this little building is "all wrong", and yet if they knew a bit more about architectural history they would enjoy it.

I like it.

May 13, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

looks like a kahn building growning out of wrightian ruins with some venturi 'jokes' thrown in

May 13, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I first saw this project here.

Not sure what to call it, but I pretty much agree w/the first few of the above comments (Scarpa, Wright, more ecclesiastical than athletic, a bit odd, but generally good). Other than that, I think it will do well in its context (Bed-Stuy housing project)...the large brick wall facing the street may actually be appropriate here.

A quote by the Architect, at the end of the above linked article:
“My work is poised between the historic continuum and the overly oppositional architecture of the modern. My position has been that there is a middle ground between the classical architecture of the past and the warped form and space of current, modern work.”
-George Ranalli

May 13, 09 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

post-modern deconstructed modernism

May 13, 09 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

For me it seems like retro modern. With some almost Art-Deco(??) finishing(s) (trim, etc).

Given the Brooklyn brownstone context i think the enormity of the brick work is perfect.

May 14, 09 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

reminds me of unity temple - except the unity temple's windows relate more to the interior...

those windows that drop down at the corners strike me as really odd in that large space - they seem like they were designed from the outside. I really like the ornament and the brick - some of the spaces are interesting, but I'm not understanding how these windows were generated or relate to the rest of the building - maybe if I visited I'd have a better understanding of the concept, but right now they just look random without being rational-random.

there's kind of this interesting pixellation (recursion?) going on through the entire project (which brick lends itself nicely to) - but it's arguable how well this was carried through the project or if the architect was actually aware this was happening - that quote makes me think he isn't self-aware of his tendencies, though.

May 14, 09 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus
link

">link from this guy's archive - what an era the lat 70s in NYC must have been.

May 14, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

link
May 14, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I like it. Furness>Vienna>Wright>Scarpa ?

The corner windows seem to relate to another project, Chatham house (see Residential Work); a lot of the moves are repeated in his other work.

What does he mean by "warped form and space of current, modern work” ?

May 14, 09 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

That's, Roman brick. . .

May 14, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: