Archinect
anchor

extra help

vflash778

I haven't had a great first semester at architecture school but i made it through ... WInter break is coming up and i was wondering if there are any classes i could go to , or maybe even a camp, to help me get more use to doing the stuff required in architecture school. 

thanks for the responses 

Btw, i will in NYC, Queens 

Dec 12, 13 7:46 pm
poop876

What did you struggle with? What is the 'stuff' you do in architecture school?

Dec 13, 13 10:10 am  · 
 · 
vflash778

the model making and the 3-d problem solving were so new to me, it took me longer to understand and do my assignment than my classmates . 

btw, sorry for the late response 

Dec 13, 13 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

Practice, practice, practice.

Design a small project over winter break, or take a building you really like, and create drawings/models of it.

It took me a couple of years before something clicked and I started to create projects that had some good qualities...that's probably true of 90% of us.

Don't let your discomfort cause you to pull back, that will only delay your development.  Jump into the deep end and learn to swim.

Dec 13, 13 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
vflash778

do you know of any programs of camps that i can join ? would joining something like the art league help me ? 

Dec 13, 13 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
vflash778

and thank-you for the response, i really appreciate it ! 

Dec 13, 13 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
fema

"It took me a couple of years before something clicked and I started to create projects that had some good qualities...that's probably true of 90% of us."

It is totally true. I am on my 4th,last year of interior architecture. And i just got that click. 

My piece of advice is; never get that negative feeling. Don't forget that it is about being better than you were yesterday. It is not about competing with other people.As soon as you start to see the things that way, you will move ahead. So don't get discouraged, but get motivated by what others are able to do. And again don't waste your time with negative thoughts, just work hard;)

Dec 14, 13 3:15 am  · 
 · 
24arches

the model making and the 3-d problem solving were so new to me, it took me longer to understand and do my assignment than my classmates .

The first one is likely just a trial-and-error thing. The more models you make, the better you get at them. Some people are naturally crafty but the majority, like 99%, are not and learn the hard way (think touching hot stove = pain hard way). 3-D problems you should try to pinpoint where exactly you seem to have problems with. Is it coming up with an idea or imagining the concept? Spatial relations? Narrow it down and tackle a few things instead of going after the whole thing. 

Sometimes you also just need a break to recompose yourself. Read for fun, go visit some buildings or museums--I know New York doesn't lack either. End the semester mentally. If this happens at the end of every term, your own confidence will be shot to pieces in no time.

Dec 14, 13 4:24 am  · 
 · 
vflash778

thanks for the responses everyone, and i'll definetly keep my head up ! I've been thinking about taking a sculpting class at an art league near me, because i haven't found any architectural geared courses. What do you guys think about that, how helpful would that be to my development ? 

Dec 14, 13 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
24arches

Sculptures and such would help even if it doesn't explicitly state architecture-related course. Plus it sounds like something you want to do and would be a nice temporary escape. Give it time and take it easy--you have the rest of your life to hone these skills.

Dec 14, 13 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Los Angeles

"...the model making..."

Model making is a craft, and like many works of craft, they need practice. You need to consistently make models each semester, and slowly but surely you will start to develop your own technique, language, and speed at model making. But I WARN YOU, do NOT deviate from pure analog expression, in other words, do not stop making models and start depending on laser cutters, 3d printers, or 3d software, or you will end up laser cutting 3 rectangles per laser cut file. Yes – embrace the technology and the new methods, it will make your work efficient and more malleable to change, but do NOT depend on them for your initial exploratory process.  One thing you will realize is that making a model by hand will help you think THREE DIMENSIONALLY faster than any other method. If you want quick and flexible model making materials, use bristol, 1ply chipboard, and construction paper. If you want CLEAN models, pop out the glue syringe or a tooth pick, but the essence of a clean model are two things: patience, and careful planning (and vey sharp thin blades).  

"...and the 3-d problem solving were so new to me..."

SECTION, SECTION, SECTION. You will always hear this in architecture school, "Plans organize space while sections help you design and experience space." You need to draw and design in section and relate it back in plan. If you can switch between these two modes of spatial expression, you have more than half of the battle done with thinking three dimensionally. 

Also, you need to look at many examples of work that interest you. Try to read their plans and sections, really study the plans and sections until you can easily relate the 2D drawings with the photographs. When you do this, you will start to realize that it doesn't make a difference wether you look at the image or the 2D drawing because all you see is three dimensional space. 

"....it took me longer to understand and do my assignment than my classmates."

You should compare your self to your colleagues with the correct issues. If it takes you longer than your classmates to finish, yet you still finish on time or close enough – who cares, everyone is different. Yet, if you are absolutely lagging behind compared to your colleagues, then you realize that you're doing something wrong – and that's OKAY. It's best to screw up and learn in school instead of the real world. 

Do NOT compare yourself to your colleagues with superfluous matters, especially in architecture school. You will soon realize everyone has their own "agenda" so just stick to your own agenda and try to learn, who cares about the A, B, C, D, F students, at the end of the semester, ask yourself – "what did I learn as a designer, student, and a person." You will soon realize that once you hit 4th year and 5th year, you make the requirements in your studio, you get much more freedom in those last 2 years than 1-3rd year, so really start to think for yourself.

LASTLY, if you want some real extra help, GO TO THE ARCHITECTURE AND ART LIBRARY. You need to expand your mental database of precedents. At least once a week go to the library and skim through books. Trust me, while everyone is trying to copy the cool starchitects that they see on the internet or some architecture blog, you will be grabbing very original precedents that people always neglect because they seem to fall for the fad and obvious. Look at weird things, look at things that are not architecture (physical) related, look at fashion and product design, look at art and graphic design. Sooner or later you will hear a common tune. 

apologies for rant and typos. 

Dec 14, 13 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: