Archinect
anchor

Architectural Gems in San Fran and L.A.

Edp

I am an architect in the UK and am visiting San Fran and L.A. in the summer and wondered what are the must see architectural gems, just in case i have missed some off my list.

May 11, 09 8:59 am
MArch n' unemployed

hi architect from the UK! if you type 'san francisco' or 'los angeles' into the search field you'll get a wealth of information.

May 11, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

San Francisco -

Basically - when you get here, just wander north of Market Street - the area Between Van Ness on the west, the Embarca.dero on the east and the Bay to the north, is a plethora of architectural treasure. South of Market, is the SFmeusem of modern art(Mario Botta). Jewish contemporary Meusem(Libeskind). San Francisco Civic center - for Beaux Arts - large " city beautiful type organization"). and of course the Victorian architecture in the Mission west of Valencia and, Alamo Square area. - basically just throw the damn map in the many recylce boxes we have here and wander.

May 12, 09 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

I'm not from LA, but these are some places I visited last summer. I'm sure some (if not all) are already on your list.

Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels - Rafael Moneo
Cal-Trans Building - Morphosis
Walt Disney Opera House - Frank Gehry
The Getty Center - Richard Meier
The houses along Venice Beach
there are several FLW houses in the area too...I know USC maintains a couple
There's tons of Gehry if that floats your boat

Never been to San Francisco, but these are 2 buildings that the last poster didn't mention that I would like to see:

California Academy of Sciences - Renzo Piano
San Francisco Federal Building - Morphosis

May 12, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
marik

I think a hidden gem in SF is a small Frank Lloyd Wright building tucked in Maiden Lane off of Union Square. It's easy to pass by but well worth checking out. Found this website explaining where it is. Enjoy

http://tomatefarcie.blogspot.com/2009/01/maiden-lane-photo.html

May 12, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

greene & greene gamble house in pasadena (north of downtown l.a.)

May 12, 09 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
atomicmuffin

the LA Conservancy put together a really great self-guided tour of Downtown LA: [http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_selfguided.php4]. One of my favorite buildings downtown is the Bradbury Building. A tour of Pico Union as well; both tours are filled with historical goodies, if you're interested in that.

Marik, thanks for the FLW find, I had no idea! One of my favorite buildings in SF is the JPMorgan Building on 2nd & Mission by Cesar Pelli. Local architect Stanley Saitowitz has a great precast concrete project at 855 Folsom between 4th & 5th Street.

enjoy your summer!

May 12, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen
in Downtown LA

Bradbury Building
Los Angeles City Hall
Los Angeles Central Library
Museum of Contemporary Art

May 12, 09 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Edp

All this information is great - thanks!

May 13, 09 3:25 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

getty villa...

May 13, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: