Archinect
anchor

Cyberspace and Philosophy

knstna

Hello to everybody ;)

I am an undergraduate student pf architecture and for the current semester I am trying to understand the relationships that exist between cyberspace and philosophy.
To be more exact, I am trying to define cyberspace's qualities and to project them to the philosophical theories raging from the 60's till today.
I would appreciate any help or thought on this topic

Thank you in advance,
knstna

May 9, 09 7:02 pm
bRink

This is not a bad place to start:

'Cyber_Reader' by Neil Spiller (ed.)

some key writings on cyberspace from a bunch of different disciplines... you can start with the readings here and follow some of the contributors work or follow up on their references...

May 9, 09 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

A great topic! let me suggest Hubert Dreyfus' On the internet, and David Hakken, The Knowledge Landscapes of Cyberspace

May 10, 09 12:34 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

of course, if you want a comprehensive list, you can't go wrong with Phil Agre's list of what he's interested in.

May 10, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

William Mitchell is always good for lighter reading on the topic. Heidegger is crucial for the deeper thoughts.

May 10, 09 1:52 am  · 
 · 

I thought Manuel Delanda's "war in the age of intelligent machines" was a pretty good history of the internet.

In my experience a lot of these texts seem slightly dated because their subject is constantly changing.

A Thousand Plateaus might be a good place to start as well.

May 11, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

LOL,..the thought of "starting" with D&G is funny.

May 12, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

maybe not the whole thing, just read the introduction, "rhizomes for dummies"

then maybe some

nicolas bourriaud- relational aesthetics
or
postproduction: culture as screenplay

-- bam, forget about it. you are now on the cutting edge

May 12, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: