Archinect
anchor

running 3ds Max on an Apple Laptop w/ Virtual PC

melvin

i'm interested in getting a laptop, and really need the ability to run 3ds Max on it. I would really only use it for Adobe product graphics and 3d modelling, but I don't want to succumb to Form-Z if I get an Apple.

Anyone have success/massive failure with running 3dsMax (specifcally v.6) on an apple laptop via Virtual PC? Is this possible with Max?

Oct 14, 04 11:43 am
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Isn't that like trying to pick your nose with your toe?

Oct 14, 04 11:55 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Sounds like trouble to me...

Oct 14, 04 11:56 am  · 
 · 
melvin

yeah, i've always been a PC guy, but we use mac's at work, and this is the only problem I have.....totally inferior CAD and 3d programs

otherwise I love the apple design and programming.

alright, hopefully someone has something good to say

Oct 14, 04 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

boogers

Oct 14, 04 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

what about sketchup as a 3-D mac program. I haven't used it, but I have seen some cool renderings come out of it.

Oct 14, 04 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

sketchup is nowhere near a comparison to 3ds Max. It's pretty good for initial programming etc, though.

but if you want finished renderings, sketchup is probably the lowest on the pole.

ok, i give up on this virtual PC, just wondering

Oct 14, 04 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

maya is out for mac

maya has mental ray, the renderer included with 3ds max 6.

on my g4 powerbook it is pretty slow compared to the pc version, but not nearly as slow as emulating an entire operating system/chipset would be.

personal learning ed mac

Oct 14, 04 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i was just fantasizing about getting a powerbook!

my office does the ArchiCAD thing, it supposedly runs with the mac.

we use PCs here though, so i don't know how well it works. the graphisoft website says that there is some bug with macs and the new release...but it looks like they have it fixed too....

i don't do too much 3D renderings with archiCAD, just because our clients don't care too much for them...but, archiCAD's rendering program seems to be decent.

i really want a powerbook. because i am sick of my ever failing dell.

Oct 14, 04 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
proto

formz's a great program. it only suffers to Max in animation and mental ray as an add-on. if those are your complaints, running it through virtual pc for those features is gonna suck.

i'd say get over it for formz. it's a strong program. sketchup is lame in comparison.

Oct 14, 04 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I think whatever 3D program you settle on, you can get high quality renderings out of it. It is all about how well you know the software. You can have Maya and not have a clue what you are doing so your renderings look like crap. I came to this conclusion since I used FormZ all through school and the guy next to me is you Microstation (yes, I can't believe it either) and his photorealistic renderings look amazing. Most of the stuff that "sexes up" (quoting my junior year professors) your 3D model are done in Photoshop anyway.

Good luck.

Oct 15, 04 11:38 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

MY GOD BUY A PC

Oct 15, 04 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

ok, again....i don't want to even talk about software.

i've used all the majors, and known them all well, other than cinema 4d.

3d studio is what I want to use. period.

sounds like I'll just have to go PC. That new sony's calling.

Oct 15, 04 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Melvin you have seen the light - you are smarter than I thought - congratulations

Oct 15, 04 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: