Archinect
anchor

MVRDV vision for Paris

watchdog

view here the animation of MVRDV's vision for Paris as most compact metropolis in 2030:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyvSzmBkg9s

The project was a commission by French President Sarkozy and the mayor of Paris.

May 7, 09 12:33 pm
evilplatypus

wish I could read French - I did like "densification croissant"

cool animation. very relaxing. Im listening to it again as I draw

May 7, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
hestia17

Cool movie... YouTube!

MVRDV is also on Facebook, check it out

May 7, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

It's nice but it won't work.

The plan is heavily skewed at best. In one instance of the plan, they want to condense the city down heavily. In another instance, they want to extend the city all the way to Normandy.

Perhaps I'm unaware of someplace but I've never really seen a successful ribbon city.

The nicer and perhaps more illustrative photos of the streetscape repeat the old same regular Paris being extended ad nauseum. Then there's the occasional "contemporary" building that seems out of place.

And Europe should kind of learn something here from it's retarded little brother, the US, that you can never green a suburb. I suppose architects don't get into the dirty grittiness of utilities planning but trash, sewage and electricity (not production, the actual grid) is pretty much at its limits.

May 7, 09 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

borg: resistance if futile - you will be assimilated

May 7, 09 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

hill and rock,

i don't speak french, but I don't think the video represents an "either / or" approach. If you watch closely, each time the box explodes, it is exploding a different level of the program to show you the distribution of that programmatic element, whether it be wind towers or park space. At the end, it shows you the overlay of all the elements that were presented throughout the course of the video..

.. at least that's the way I saw the video.

May 7, 09 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

Yeah, I understand that. You're right. It's a volumetric planning approach to illustrating how to meet all of the goals. I was talking about the overall Paris 2030 plan.

I would say that most of the hypotheticals this video presents are much better than the overall plan.

This is pretty much the leading plan here. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/04/photogalleries/green-future-paris/images/primary/090417-03-green-paris_big.jpg ... at least the only one the government has commented on.

May 7, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

so they even make their digital models out of blue insulation foam?

May 7, 09 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

eek.

May 9, 09 7:33 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ok, so the big cube is a metaphor, a toolbox of density. but inspite of being an architectural metaphor of an urban proposal, it looks architecturally really MVRDV-esque,kinda kinky. secretely, they might be preferring this cube over its dispersal.

as for the dispersal of thematic layers, what i can't read is the interrelation between those layers (which is viscerally present in the erratic collage of parts amassing in the cube..keeping in mind, of course, that its an incidental and meaningless collage apart from its visual sensibility and evocation) and how these relate to existing "little" big paris. as such, there's not much one can say except maybe there's a summarily modernist tendency to consider whats already there as a tabula rasa...and the opening part, which is very much in the positivistic vein of the anti-critical/anti-resistance ("blocage") group might very well set the tone for such an interpretation.

however, it kind of falls flat in this new period of economic depression..this grandiose tone of productive proactivity, in a period of watchful and weary reactivity. was this plan hatched recently?

May 9, 09 8:26 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds
ok, so the big cube is a metaphor, a toolbox of density. but inspite of being an architectural metaphor of an urban proposal, it looks architecturally really MVRDV-esque,kinda kinky. secretely, they might be preferring this cube over its dispersal.

meaning the stacked collage en-cubed, not the cube itself.

May 9, 09 8:28 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

reductive reactivity?
reactive reductivity?
recreative reproductivity?
predictive retroactiviy?

May 9, 09 8:36 am  · 
 · 

mmm, crazy blue jenga tower, please.

May 9, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

In case it hasn't been figured out already, the English translation is in the video Info section on top right. It starts with the 2nd paragraph.

May 10, 09 1:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: