Archinect
anchor

Dealinig With A Recruiter's Client Company

Josh222

Just had a question about what is customary in relationships for recruiting firms that recruit for construction management positions.

Some time ago, I spoke with a recruiter who mentioned the possibility of a certain employer.  I since have not heard back from him even after a few attempts to make contact.  I now see some positions listed on the employer's website.

What would happen if Ii were to apply online?

Could it start the employment relationship off on a bad start if I negotiate a high salary due to lack of recruitment costs and then the recruiter tries to claim his commission later just because he mention the particular employer?

How would I go about not destroying my reputation with recruiters if I were to apply directly with this company he had mentioned?

Is it worth it to add extra (and distracting) text to a cover letter explaining how I came into contact with the company?

Dec 9, 13 6:59 pm
DeTwan

Lol. Destroy your reputation?

Do you even have one?

I would not give two shitz & 2 Fux about recruiters.

All they want is to skim off the top of your work. And trust me, you will not be making very good money from any position that is secured thur a recruiter.

If a firm is hiring that way, you can bet they are 'dirt baggy".

Just apply to the jobs and say I saw your employment postings. No need to mention a leech let you in on a secret.

Dec 9, 13 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Here is better advice, get out of architecture while you still can.

Dec 9, 13 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
w4000

Recruiters typically try to get you to sign some document assuring them a comission. If you haven't signed anything, ditch the recruiter. immediately.

Dec 10, 13 11:55 am  · 
 · 

If the firm is posting online they may have dropped the contract with the recruiter to fill the position. Go ahead and apply to anything that is posted. Things get dicey if you are working for the company and you are applying to change your temp to a hire or if you are looking to jump up to a new position or different department, if you have an employment agreement with the temp agency you are working for read it and ask your supervisor at the temp agency first.

Temp agencies get some money while you work but most get a large commission style play out if they convert a temp to a hire. Recruiters get a payout when they place you and you are still with the firm a year later. Often both temp agencies and recruiters keep a portfolio of people who are looking or are looking to change jobs, they rarely deal with folks with little to no experience.  The best way into a recruiter's portfolio of top candidates is to get some face time so they can gauge your personality.

Working for a Temp or through a recruiter can have its benefits I was given a temp to hire position then it fell through three days before starting due to clients backing out and so my position was rescinded after I had started moving and so I was kind of screwed. The temp agency helped find me another positions for me and three weeks later I have a position, a little further out in the burbs than I had initially wanted but it beats the alternative. I had a office full of well connected folks working on a solution because they felt it was on them to help me out since I had done so well impressing their client during the initial interview process.  Temp agencies and recruiters are good at placing the right person with the right firms, that is their job and they can quickly lose clients and be out of business if they screw it up. Don't brush off temp agencies because they get a small cut while you are working your temp period, think of it as an extended 4-6 month interview.

Always keep your relationships professional and don't burn bridges. Temp to hire is a growing trend in our field as many small firms don't have he staff to run a legit HR department.

I hope more of us have gainful employment in 2014

Over and OUT

Peter N

Dec 30, 13 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: