Archinect
anchor

Should I leave school?

Lucasch

I have always wanted to be an architect since i was very young. I'm not going to take your time by telling how architecture is great for me, why this profession fits me perfectly and that kind of stuff. I know that architecture and design is the only profession that i can practice with love and passion. I'm 18 and few months ago I have started to study in a university. I have decided to study interior design because of several reasons.

First of all, here in my country both architecture and interior design takes 4 years to complete and you don't have to study any masters to practice as an accredited architect or designer. 4 years of education in architecture is not all around,cirriculum makes students to focus on technical issues and practises instead of design and aesthetics.

The other reason is that I've got accepted to my country's best university's interior design program with some scholarship while my options for architecture were moderate schools or good schools were asking for very high amounts of tuition.

Because of these reasons I've decided to study Interior design which is by far more design oriented. After all i want to be a designer one way or another, not an autocad drafter. I'm planning to study architecture for my masters in north america or I will continue for interior design and study my masters on luxury automotive design (yachts, cars....) or retail design for fashion brands.

As a first year student, I'm doing good in my school. I have the highest grades in the faculty and it is a very high possibility for me to complete this year with high honors. But I'm very concerned about my future. I see and read about lots of people that try really hard and achieve nothing. %95 of architects and designers in all around the world are complaining about how dead is this sector and they say that the other %5 percent is either very very very lucky in life or have rich parents. Another thing is that architects always make fun of interior designers and tell that this profession has nothing to study, an architect can design interiors and so on which makes it really hard to achieve to a good point while working for a design firm which runs by architects. I'm not even going to mention wages and unemployment rates.

I'm working really heard to be successfull , I have no social life left. I'm spending most of my time in studio even after classes or in my free times to improve my skills. I'm not just doing assignments of mine, I'm also helping my friends in other schools in thier projects. In brief, I'm %100 focused on my education and design skills and I am happy with that because I enjoy doing so. But I always feel like that I'm fighting for nothing :(

I really would like to know about your thoughts on this.

-sorry for the bad english...

Dec 8, 13 3:26 pm
gruen
Don't give up. You'll be fine. Com
Dec 8, 13 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Sorry. Was trying to say that the complainers are loud but few. Most people work and have decent jobs.
Dec 8, 13 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hinder

Good luck with everything but let me tell you something ; learn to excel anything you do, there's always a way to stand-out and to learn to enjoy and have passion for new things.

Dec 8, 13 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I notice you mention that this is taking a lot out of you, as in 24/7.  Are you cutting it or are you spinning your wheels, such as in design, causing it to take 24/7?  Or are you just a perfectionist?  If you are a typical university student, between the ages of 17 and 23, then that resentment that it is robbing your of recreational pursuits, a social life, and other university experiences is both understood and common.  And don't kid yourself, those who are bucking for high grades to get into medical school are at it 24/7 as well.

If you were a grad student who returned to the university setting after a time gap to work, you might not care that it takes 24/7, because you've done college before and are not there to socialize or do those kinds of things which involve being overly involved with the university community.  Personally, I didn't care that this was the case.  It's not like returning grad students have much in common with undergraduates and anything beyond their academic unit anyway.

When you get to the work world, it will not be as grueling, in terms of hours, as was a-school.  I have not experienced this and neither have my friends.  The most I have ever worked in one week was 62 hours, and I'd say 45 hours is about average when things are humming along.  This means there is time for restaurants, bars, movies, concerts, exercise, travel, and the like.  There are sweat shops among architectural firms who dangle the carrot of having their names on your resume or allowing you to name drop that you've been within 5 feet of a certain name architect.  If you are content to do decent design, with no intention of fame and footlights, these firms can be avoided, and you can have a more conventional life working for a more conventional firm.

Dec 8, 13 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Los Angeles

What you're going through is quite typical for a first year (or any year) design student. I think design school in particular makes you somewhat existential since you are always criticizing and analyzing your context in a pragmatic and aestheticized way. It also makes you use the word "aestheticized."

One thing to know is that many design schools, especially in the States, give you a FALSE impression of reality. You do NOT need to spend nights on end in the studio; you CAN have a social life AND be a great design student. The issue is that we are given this false impression of fetishizing our designs, yet you will soon see that in many design crits at midterm and finals we are criticized on the resolution of the "big idea" and how it is realistically implemented in your design. You will often hear colleagues say after a final review, "What the fuck, they didn't even talk about the materiality of my project," or "The jurors didn't even give a shit about my renderings," etc. My point of saying all of this is so you can learn how to be an astute designer; great designers can think and execute fast, yet they can also convey a great deal of care to their craft. You need to balance these two elements as a designer, and the earlier the better. I remember in college, we had the students who were very resolute thinkers, thus they had their designs resolved at a very reasonable time within the semester, meaning they always had free time to do what ever they wanted. You also have the one-liner student (designer); theres a VERY FINE line between being a one-liner designer and a very resolved and clear designer, and the biggest way to tell if you're being too much of a "one-liner" is if you're not taking enough risk or challenging yourself.

FINALLY. If you notice, I refrained from saying "Architect" or "Interior Design". A good designer is a good designer, period, full stop. Any architect or any other person in a design profession who scoffs at another design profession – fuck them. I've worked at a famous architecture firm, and the one thing I appreciated was that there was an appreciation of design as a whole, we appreciated the design of the landscaping to the interiors (bathtubs, faucets tiles). "Just look at an Agape / Alape catalogue and tell me you won't smile (ironically on a designer salary, we could never afford those appliances...).That being said, if you like design – STICK to design, there are so many venues to traverse in the design profession.  You will soon realize that the design profession is NOT black and white, unless you want to view design in that fashion, then be an engineer. 

Apologies for the long rant and any typos. 

Dec 8, 13 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I have always wanted to be an architect since i was very young.

Then do what it takes to be an architect - never give up - try and remember when, where and what you were doing the day you decided to be an architect - works every time - 

Dec 8, 13 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

A few months in school & 18 years old is young. Really young.  In terms of architecture that pretty much makes you less than nothing.  maybe even less than that.

Screw the grades & high honors.  Do not over-stress on school work.  At your age you should primarily be concerned with exploring shit and remaining flexible (that is, avoid any crippling student debt).

Architecture is a long view kind of profession.  virtually everybody under that age of 40 is still a baby.  Even some of the best architects came to it later and in roundabout fashions (phip johnson, rem koolhaas, tadao andao, etc).

In the menatime, put some effort into your socail life and try to get some sleep too.

Dec 9, 13 10:48 am  · 
 · 
observant

The OP should note that ANY kind of professional education has these features to weed people out.  They want those who are not committed to leave, unless we are talking law or med school at a prestigious university which then seek retention because dropping out is a black eye for them that they didn't select their incoming class correctly.

I might have implied 24/7, but I still found time every now and then to take in a movie, take a drive somewhere, go out for a decent dinner, hang out with a few people I liked, and even worked out fairly regularly.  You just have to seize those windows of time.  Do you block time, as in planning your week?  That might help alleviate some stress.  I couldn't function if I didn't do that.

Unless you have, with all of your heart, identified something else you positively want to do, then my advice is to stay put and put less pressure on yourself, while still doing well.  It can be done.

Dec 9, 13 11:24 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Your'e 18, I was studying architecture in high school and gave it up and decided to go into graphic design - a few years later, Funny thing, It was on field trip to SOM to visit their graphic design dept. that I realized my mistake. It took 30 long years of working as a 3D modeler in flight simulation, video games, then architecture school, then after graduation, I was working at SOM doing architecture production and BIM modeling.

IOW don't give up - 

Dec 9, 13 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Lucasch

Dear all, I'm really grateful for your response. You gave me hope, I won't give up, work hard and hope for the best. Thank you... :)

Dec 11, 13 8:27 am  · 
 · 
yEAh

I feel like I know where you're coming from as around that age, I remember having many doubts in my life. As long as you have a goal in life, then you're good. The only thing you need to worry now is making it through. Trust me, It's okay to have a limited social life. You should accept the fact that you have sacrifice time for what's the most important like, your grades. I won't speak for everybody but for me, grades were everything. You'll reap what you will sow so I graduated with honors which helped me rise among the pack. 

But remember don't forget to go out once in a while. It will help you refocus. Or else you'll be burned out. Remember to keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. You have all the time in the world to socialize after College, so make the most of your time there. 

After college I remember talking to my fellow students about some stuff they did during those times that were just about drinking, socializing etc. I have no idea what they were talking about or how they found time doing those things. But then again, I don't care because I have achieved something they didn't, and you have to know your priorities. Come to think of it, why would I regret having not to go out so much when most of those things were unproductive and irrelevant. You can have fun and do what needs to be done at the same time. It's all about what you make of it. (sorry for the rant!) lol

I hope this helps.

Dec 12, 13 5:09 am  · 
 · 
Lucasch

@yEAh, thank you for your comment,i see myself in your post and I agree with everything you say especially "I have no idea what they were talking about or how they found time doing those things", same here :) I agree, priorities are really important and I will consider your recommendations. Thank you...

Dec 14, 13 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: