Archinect
anchor

Vehicle Circulation and Accessibilty on site, help needed

Hinder

Well, as the title implies. I need more info about the "rules" or any sort of standards for vehicle circulation onsite. I'm currently a sophomore arch student, and this is the 1st time we're asked to add vehicle circulation to our forms/design. The project is a bank branch that includes an outdoor ATM, parking, and also a small park.  & I need info regarding the subject. How vehicle circulations work, and what i should consider (and maybe there's something about choosing the most suitable streets for exit/entrance.

Any sort of input, Links, books, etc would be very appreciated. Thanks tons.

Dec 8, 13 10:48 am

Go visit several suburban banks, in a car, and figure out what works well and doesn't.  One of the moment in my undergrad that had a big impact was a professor asking another student in pin up if he'd ever tried to drive his car around a hairpin U-turn into a parking space and was it easy? Then he admonished the whole class for drawing things in plan that if we'd paid attention to in real life we never would have "designed" that way.

It's not rocket science.  Civil engineers lay out parking lots all the time and they are - sorry - the least intelligent of the engineering disciplines, in my experience (obviously there are good ones and bad ones).

Think about the threshold of your site, and designing the experience of your building to reach right to that threshold - so when you enter the site you are in the realm of the design immediately.  This might be through plantings, screen walls, landscape berms or retaining walls, water features….look at Saarinen's Miller House for a design that reaches every inch of site development, and look at Frank Harmon's North Carolina AIA building for a *really* good parking lot, then South Mountain Community Public Library by Richard and Bauer in Phoenix for excellent ground plane development.

Then check graphic standards for things like truck and car turning radii and site view triangles. Easy peasy, and IMO one of the most fun aspects of doing a design - the ground plane.

Dec 8, 13 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Hinder

That was very helpful, thanks for your input.

Well, true. I know it ain't no rocket science, however in order to create an interesting and creative spatial experience, you have to think a bit deeper than what an average civil engineer would do. Though simplicity and high efficiency would be "great  as well.

Interesting examples indeed, especially Frank Harmon's. 

Dec 8, 13 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: