Archinect
anchor

Organic Synthesis

.zXy.

Y'all may not know who Gunnar Birkerts is but I just finished reading a book about Process and Expression in Architecture..

I hate reading, but for some this book had my full attention as I was reading. lol

He has a methodology of ORGANIC SYNTHESIS. ... he talks about how he goes about the form of a building. He states that

"pressures from within and from the outside determine's a building's form."

I know that the inner pressures give spatial or volumentric expression, and there are outside pressures such as context of the region, the terrain, vegetation, climate, and orientation in terms of heat gain and light direction.

With the above said, I still do not understand how do "interior/exterior" pressures actually makes a building's form push or pull?

Do you think the his mythology is somewhat similar to Thom Mayne's... on how he uses forces and vectors to help determine form?

I probably wrote too much, but I have been captivated on the different design methods I have read. lol

Apr 26, 09 11:29 pm
fays.panda

be careful of everything you read. What he is talking about is probably simpler than it sounds, try to figure out his own line of inquiry before accepting it, where do his ideas emerge from? I'm not familiar with the book, but this sounds all too familiar.

look at lars spuybroek, early tschumi, and even Borromini's san marco alle quatro fontane

Apr 28, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: