Archinect
anchor

G4, OSX help, Am i going crazy?

I have a been a user of Hulu previously. Have not recently reinstalled OS. The other day when i visted Hulu and NBC.com it appears as if they have upgraded to Flash 10. This version of flash is from what i can tell unavailable for my G4 OSX 10.39.

Anyone else having this problem with Hulu? Just in last few days? maybe a week?

Thanks,

Apr 21, 09 11:45 pm

No one?

Apr 22, 09 9:00 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Flash 10 is not compatible with Panther (10.3.9). To my knowledge there is not any workaround for this. Panther was obsoleted a couple years ago and has not been officially supported by Apple for over a year now. Safari, the latest version of Firefox, and a number of other recent OSX programs are not Panther compatible either.

Depending on your machine's specs you can upgrade to Tiger or Leopard. Leopard is easily available since it's the current version and Tiger is still available thru Apple for phone order. Act fast though as Snow Leopard is probably coming out in June at which point it'll become harder to get Tiger and Leopard.

I'm up against the same problem with my G4 and am currently mulling whether I want to upgrade the OS or just replace the whole computer.

Apr 22, 09 9:15 am  · 
 · 

$arch,
Thanks that is what i figured. I am in a bind as am debating getting a netbook or upgrading to new OSX along with probably some new RAM.

Or just stop visiting Flash enabled sites... Ughh.

Apr 22, 09 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Woops,
4arch

Apr 22, 09 10:05 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Don't know what you have but if it's one of the silver G4 powerbooks or the white G4 ibooks from 4 or 5 years ago I think you'd be totally better off keeping the G4 than getting a netbook unless you really need the ultra portability. Throw Tiger or Leopard and a little more RAM in there and you'd be blowing a lot of the netbooks outta the water.

Apr 22, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 

4arch,
Yeah i have the G4 powerbook with decent amount fo RAM.
I really like it because i bought it right before they stopped selling the 12 inch models.

I will probably end up just doing what you said above.
I am really surprised that they aren't back supporting for Flash 10.0 though.

Apr 22, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I was reading about this issue a couple months ago on the support forum on the Apple website. Out of mac users the percentage still using Panther is shockingly low (don't remember the exact number, but I think it was under 10%). It just doesn't make sense for software companies to support it at those levels, especially when OSX is already such a small slice of the pie.

Apr 22, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: