Archinect
anchor

Canadian Architect examination: Why ExAC over ARE?

nappy

Why would someone opt to write the ExAC over the ARE? is it mandatory?

The ExAC is not reciprocal with the United States and also you can only write it once a year at a specific calendar date.

The ARE is reciprocal with licensure in the States and you can write it at anytime.

Why is the ExAC being offered and what are the benefits? Because I do not see any.

Apr 21, 09 9:53 am
nappy

conversely, what are the disadvantages of writing the ARE when compared to the ExAC if i were to practice in canada?

Apr 21, 09 9:57 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

ARE 4: 7 tests, usually taken weeks or months apart.

ExAC: 4 tests taken over 2 days.

You can do the math. I know which one I'd rather do.

The rest comes down to reciprocity with the US, because it is a US-based system. If that really matters to you, then take the ARE. Otherwise, the ExAC is the test(ing) to take in Canada from now on.

Apr 21, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
innes

the ExAC exam isn't recognized or available everywhere in Canada, either. BC has not adopted it, the only option here is the ARE. so to add to Dustin's comment, reciprocity with other canadian provinces - as well as US states - might be complicated with the ExAC for some time. then again reciprocity doesn't really work well with ARE, either.

Apr 21, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

WOW! i am impressed with the concept of the ExAC...have been deferring registration and ARE's for almost a decade for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the perceived bureaucratic burden and cost...

i have moved frequently in the past 9 years, including out-of country, and can never be properly affiliated/sponsored with an employer long enough to do the paperwork and get it documented before i move on again...so i just gave up...too much paper and too much hassle...it would take half-years between mailings of documents and certification of hours, etc...

the content i see in the samples and documentation for the ExAC seem to reflect a more modern vision of what being an architecture professional is today...and it seems to test candidates for more real-world situations rather than doing inane design scenarios and calculations...

to address nappy's question, i suspect that as the ARE and NCARB exams have gained prominence, there was less and less control over the registration process by Canadians, therefore spawning the drive for a less bureaucratic and more relevant exam to be used in Canada...

in the old days, there was one national accreditation body in Canada - the RAIC...but provincial bickering led to each province having their own institutes handle accreditation of registered architects...this is the same type of professional tug-of war except between countries this time...autonomy...

unfortunately, as Innes says, my home province of BC (the only one) refuses to recognize it...but all other provinces and territories do...

for someone like me who just wants to get registered at some point, and has no use for reciprocity continent-wide, it's just the thing i've been waiting for...reciprocity is the only big trade-off i see for now...

Apr 24, 09 8:44 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

Reviving this thread. 

For those of you who wrote the EXAC, would you say that you need a certain amount of work experience to pass? AREs seem like it is very book-based, as mentioned above. I just can't gauge if my 3 years of work experience prepares me for the EXAC. That is, 3 years plus all the studying of material. I do want to take the EXAC because of timeline. 

I would love to hear what others thought after taking the EXAC. Thanks in advance. 

Feb 8, 12 12:54 am  · 
 · 
architecte

Does anybody think that the ExAC will be recognized in the US soon?   Their website says: "it is anticipated that Canadian provinces and territories will renegotiate the terms of the reciprocal agreement to define the admission criteria for US architects seeking licensure in Canada and for Canadian architects seeking licensure in the US, that will include ExAC".  That doesn't sound like reciprocity for the ExAC would be straight forward in the future.  

Feb 10, 13 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: