Archinect
anchor

MUD + MUP ??

g2244779911223345545

I was wondering if you could be of some assistance. I have a MA in Urban Planning with a focus in physical planning. For the past 5 years I have been working as a transportation planner but really have a passion for urban design and specifically designing public plazas, streetscapes, master planning, etc...It seems like Landscape Architects and Architects are doing this sort of work. I have been looking into post-professional degree programs specifically MUD degrees however they are far and few between.

Do you have any career advice? I know Landscape Architecture seems like a good fit but going through a two year program where I am not that interested in plant species and such seems not that smart of a decision. Is getting a MUD degree really going to push me into that realm where I can fight with LA and Architects for UD type jobs?

Thanks!
Greg

Dec 3, 13 10:37 am
citizen

My strong hunch is that a LA degree would be best for you.  

Most UD degrees try to cram some (and not enough) basic planning material in to a design-focused curriculum, to introduce some aspects of policy, economics, community, etc, to future urban designers.   But you already have a planning degree, so you can bypass that and focus on design.  An urban-focused MLA degree (you have to research programs here) would probably serve you best.

Good luck!

Dec 3, 13 11:33 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Somewhat disagree with citizen. If you do an MLA, you will be at a school accredited to teach landscape architecture and all that is conferred with that degree, i.e. the skills to become a registered landscape architect, a familiarity with details and specifications (like plant species, etc.). I'm guessing since you already did an MUP, you are more a big picture type. An MUD, as opposed to the more policy-oriented MUP, will greatly enhance your graphic skills and understanding of urban form. While the MUD is more specialized than an MLA, I believe it is closer to your interests and will make you more competitive at large scale planning and design offices as well as with municipal planning agencies than if you held only an MUP. Look at Michigan, Berkeley, and CUNY as a handful of schools that may be a good fit.

Dec 3, 13 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you for your response.

The benefit I saw of a MUD degree is that its shorter and less expensive. I'm getting a little worried taking on another large sum of debt at age 30. Hard to answer I know but would you say a MUD program is a wash? waste of time in the long run? 

Dec 3, 13 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks won. How about Canadian schools? Also, how transferable are those to the states?

Dec 3, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's not a waste if you really want to do design work.  Much (much!) depends on the particular program (including duration) and your particular goals.

As to the wisdom of educational expense and debt?  I decided to do a PhD in my late 30s, so I am the last person to advise on this.

Dec 3, 13 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I agree with Won that some MLA programs are less UD focused than on technical landscape issues.  Others aren't, and are more large-scale design focused.  Hence my caveat about researching various programs for one suited to your goals.

This advice goes for MUD programs, too, by the way.  That might well serve you better--depending, again, on particulars.

(Related, sort of, is my experience in doing the PhD.  I wanted to study history of the built environment, and was looking at both planning and architecture programs.  Some arch programs offered what I wanted to do; in other places, it was the planning program that was better suited.  I had to research to find the best fit.)

Dec 3, 13 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed - the one positive thing is that there are not that many MUD programs so finding the best one to suit my needs should be a bit easier.

Last question...With a MUP, MUD and about 5 years experience as a transportation planner under my belt, am I going to be a good candidate for urban design type jobs? Will I be more marketable and will I be able to compete with Architects and LA for employment? What I'm getting at is it going to be worth it?

BTW my answer is yes but I'd like to get your opinion :)

Dec 3, 13 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Will you be able to compete w/ architects?   Yes, because the vast majority are not trained for UD.

Is it worth it?  There's no accurate way to answer that question for you.  Unless you can see the future, it's all about playin' the odds.

Dec 3, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i think MLA would be good, check their cirriculum. In canada:

http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/admissions/programs/master-landscape-architecture/master-landscape-architecture-professional

there is also: UBC

http://www.sala.ubc.ca/admissions/master-landscape-architecture

there is also guelph but i suspect its less urban (perhaps)

https://www.uoguelph.ca/sedrd/system/files/MLA%20Handbook%202013.pdf

Dec 4, 13 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: