Archinect
anchor

tips and hints for applying for jobs from outside of the country

hollz1410

Hi all,

Im currently based in Australia but I am looking to move to America for a change of life and work environment.

Whilst I understand the job market is tough, as it is in Australia, I am wondering if anyone has any tips for the jobs search, or resume writing and portfolio creating. We have the option of an Australian specific visa, but obviously the process of finding that job is much harder being outside of the country. Anyone had any experience doing something similar?

Thanks in advance

Jun 4, 11 11:26 pm
LOOP!

Hey, felt I should chime in and say that I actually moved to Australia last year because the job market is so much easier here. It sounds like it was a bit better "pre-GFC" but it's still probably about 5-10 times easier to find work here, and the pay is better as well... Don't want to rain on your parade and with the strong aussie dollar this is a good time to travel in the US (except that the flights back home are crazy expensive right now), but be prepared for a job market that's much tougher than here, for work that probably won't be as exciting.

In the US, try to find work with the larger firms that do international work, as they'll be more receptive to work you've done overseas, study up on learning to think in feet & inches, learn as much software as you can, and hopefully you've got a few years work experience under your belt, which would help you a lot. Similar to here, there's more jobs for people in the "3-8" years experience range (just check the archinect job boards). Also, having a local phone number for where you're applying, along w/ a local address is going to help.

Don't know what else to say... Have you considered Singapore, China, India? What about moving to another city in Australia? Syd and Mel are both really different.

Jun 6, 11 9:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: