Archinect
anchor

:"Frameless" glass entry door vestibule

I have been looking at Blumcraft 1301 doors for a vestibule, but I'm not sure if I should because of air infiltration.

My project is in Philadelphia, and the manufacturer seems to think it is ok.  I could put a post on the exterior side of the doors so that the edge with the offset pivot will seal and they can put window pile weather stripping on the vertical edge (but I don't think I like the look of this).  The post might get awkward on the exterior of the vestibule, so maybe just weatherstripping should be used in that location.

Anyone have experience with this?

Dec 2, 13 11:30 am
SneakyPete

"Seems to think it's ok" wouldn't cut it for me. Ask if they have any test data and if not err on the side of caution.

Dec 2, 13 11:47 am  · 
 · 

BandAids rarely work, and if they do it's not for very long. 

Dec 2, 13 11:53 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

The cut sheet I googled had "piled weatherstripping optional" around the perimeter. Is it something? Yes. Does it work well? Probably not. However, if you are looking at an all glass vestibule door, thermal performance is probably not your top priority.

And agree with Miles, your detail looks like a Bandaid - either go with the manufacturer provided weatherstripping or ditch the all glass door direction entirely.

Dec 2, 13 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Get test data. Question it until you are satisfied. Move on if you are not.
Dec 2, 13 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

I agree, I had a feeling I was maybe starting to go down the wrong path. I'll get more info from the manufacturer.

Dec 2, 13 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
Just go for it.
Dec 3, 13 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: