Archinect
anchor

2010 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ADavin

Nothing in mail.

Called GSD. This is how the phone call went:

"All of the final decisions were mailed yesterday"

"I heard that they were mailed on Friday and that if I did not hear by April 1st to call"

"I'm sorry, sir - but that is misinformation. Final decisions were sent out yesterday"

WHAT THE FUCK!!! I am so confused.

Thoughts anyone?

Apr 1, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

wow! i just realized that tuition at columbia is literally double what it is at berkeley. wow-wa-wee! more expensive schools should give more $$$

praxis99_ i remember cris benton and nicholas de monchaux since they were both especially interesting. the kite photography stuff is amazing! very cool. nicholas' was like a comedian to me and i couldn't stop cracking up since we would totally talk smack on the archie hogwash. i'm glad the summer program has a lecture component where actual faculty spoke about their word and specialties.

i think the cliche is on point when it comes to grad school being what you make of it. at this stage, schools pretty much expect you to be on point and a self starter. how would you cal grads describe berkeley's overall architecture philosophy? i know it's digital heavy, which at this point, what arch program isnt...

Apr 1, 10 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Praxis: Good to know. I did their inaugural summer program this past summer and had some lectures from the faculty you mentioned. Liked Benton a lot, de Moncheaux was interesting. I have an interdisciplinary background, and yes, was very attracted to Cal (besides the location) for the ability to experiment in other departments. In that regard, I think that the academic resources there are just about unparalleled, especially when one has an interest in an architecture from a humanistic angle as I do.

I was concerned with the lack of free hand drawing or traditional drafting opportunities there (I have had the arguments/ conversations about these techniques being antiquated and therefore useless, so we can forego that debate). WUSTL offers these classes, and I think that it is important for slowing down the process of design. Could you guys comment on the core studio at all for first semester students, grad studios in general?

BTW: I live in Berkeley, if any of you Berkeley grads want to do tea/ coffee to chat in person, I'm down. Strada maybe?

ADavin: What's the deal with funding at Oregon, it's pretty scant, right? I hear it is a great program, don't know if I will make it to open house, but will try. I also just don't know if I can go there because of out-of-state tuition for 3 years, and Option 3 students are disconnected from option 1 and 2 students, right? Are they not in Portland, while option 3's are in Eugene? I don't think that I like that. At Cal you are good and mixed up with all other options by your second year, doing your thesis with whomever by the end....

Again, really excited to check out WUSTL, have been impressed by the way that they have handled everything since I applied there, will be anxious to hear about money by next week. I hear that it has a beautiful campus and facilities and everything, and I don't think I would mind living in St. Louis, but Northern Cali is in a class of its own!

Apr 1, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

To all the lurking and posting UW enthusiasts:

I have just started a thread to discuss UW-specific info:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=97270_0_42_0_C

Please visit to discuss the program, tomorrow's open house, life in Seattle, etc.

Apr 1, 10 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

hooray march4april!

Apr 1, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
ADavin

guyforget:

Funding at UO is really shanty: The woman at both the admissions and financial aid office told me that federal grants are almost exclusively reserved for their undergrads and grad students can expect to get loans for the most part. There are a limited number of scholarships that they give out to students after their first year. And you can apply for a TA position, which covers tuition + stipend... although she said they generally give TA and RA positions to students after a term....

As far as the 2 campuses, the Portland program has a very urban focus and is only available to AP students or 3+ students after one year. You can however do all 3 years or 2 years AP at Eugene campus. I applied for Portland but was admitted to Eugene AP (I had some structures deficiencies that are only available at Eugene) with a guarantee that I could spend my second year in Portland. This splitting of campuses worries me too... I feel like it could be both good and bad... that's something I need to access and speak to people about when I go out to visit.

Apr 1, 10 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Hurdy Gurdy Man

First time posting, long time reader.

I have been accepted to both CCA and SCI-arc. I live in los angeles with my girlfriend, and would like to move to San Francisco. However, she wants to stay in Los Angeles (because of work/friends/family). I have lived in SF in the past and loved it. There is no question that we will remain together.

Both programs sound amazing to me.

Which has better job prospects coming out. Which would you choose, and why?

Thank you for you opinions in advance.

Oh, yeah I recieved scholarship $ for cca for roughly a third of the tuition. No word fro SCI-arc yet.

Apr 1, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
ADavin

Just received the email from GSD: no go.

At least this makes me feel like I was a finalist or at least close to getting in. Oh well... Glad the wait is over.

Apr 1, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Just got a letter from UW - denied

Four out of Seven, waiting on CO, but I am concerned because the three schools that turned me down are pretty good - Cincinnati, Texas and UW Seattle, maybe I suck.

I did not know that one could switch to Portland after a year in Eugene, hmmm...

Did you get your travel itinerary from Wash U. yet? Where are you traveling from?

Apr 1, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
ADavin

Final tally and stats:

23 yrs old. Male. White.
BA Architecture, Lehigh University. Phi Beta Kappa

I currently work for a small boutique arch firm owned by a Lehigh professor of practice.

GPA: 3.79
M: 710 V:530 AW: 4.0

Portfolio:
http://issuu.com/adavinmorley/docs/ugrad_portfolio

IN:

WUSTL -IN (3+)
UO - IN (AP Eugene)

UVA - Waitlist

GSAPP -No
Yale - No
Princeton - No
MIT - No
Berkeley - No
GSD - No

Brutal results with the Ivies, but no worries. WUSTL was one of my top choices from the start.... good luck everyone! I am so glad to have had this thread to help me through the entire process!

Apr 1, 10 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Hurdy Gurdy,

I too was admitted to CCA, but have only visited once. Beautiful facilities. Are you visiting this Sunday?

I don't know much about SCI Arch, but have heard it held in higher esteem from fellow applicants (not just on this website).

Good luck

Apr 1, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
st1tch

...still waiting...

Apr 1, 10 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
hw10

GSAPP just called and said they made a mistake, I'm in!! Princeton sent an email saying I got in as well with full tuition!!!! ------April Fools.. not to forget this also: "haha"

Apr 1, 10 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
allisonshawn

@san diego

I called columbia's aid office and they prepared a package for me over the phone. i'm not eligible for scholarships because i can't get my parents info (long story), but they broke down the numbers with me for loans, options for work-study, etc.

@thevillain

the gsapp itself doesn't deal with financial aid, so it's better to talk directly to columbia's financial aid office. they were quite helpful in discussing my aid options. they also understand that most applicants' income is going to change drastically once you enroll, so they suggest you come in once the numbers are solid. they'll do a manual readjustment of your efc, and your aid package will likely change accordingly.
but like i said above, i don't know how scholarships play into this because i'm not eligible.

Apr 1, 10 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

hurdy gurdy man_ i would say that in terms of job prospects, probably sci-arc. cca's m. arch program just got a three year initial accreditation in 2008, so it may be less reputable since it is still quite new.

my thoughts are that the schools are pretty similary though so it boils down to the $ and la vs. the bay. i don't have any first hand experience with cca, so my recommendation would have to go to sci-arc. maybe you should check out both open house events, though cca's isn't really an open house and i think it's this weekend.

Apr 1, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
BaaaNaaa

hurdy gurdy

architecture grad school + long distance is a relationship gang murder. go to sci arc! plus they are more reputable as birdie says.

Apr 1, 10 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

yeah, seriously. listen to us! we want what's best for you and everyone else for that matter :)

it's important to remember that in a few months, we'll be settling in to new schools, cities and lives. grad school or an m. arch program to be specific is intense enough without us causing further strains in other avenues of our lives. the show must go on with/without grad school. there's no point in adding more stress into the mix.

honestly, even before applying to m. arch programs, my partner and i discussed cities he'd be willing to move to. don't get it twisted, i definitely considered his standpoint, still i applied to a couple of places he may not be willing to go (boston and providence). i'm glad it worked out as it should since he's cool with the bay area. just to put it out there, it's very important to prioritize.

Apr 1, 10 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Hurdy Gurdy Man

Thank you guys for the reply.

I think my girlfriend is scared to move though. She is finishing a masters in Psychology in 3 weeks. Now is a perfect time for a change of scenery.

On the other hand, if sciarc would be better than cca, i could understand staying in LA.

I think I am just tired of what LA has to offer, but she is not.

Apr 1, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

U of T - In

They took their sweet ass time. now decisions, decisions.

Apr 1, 10 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
st1tch

@passerby,

what time did they send you the email??

Apr 1, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

according to gmail 3:41 pm today

Apr 1, 10 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
st1tch

thanks!

Apr 1, 10 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
LWCW

@ passerby1ce, st1tch:

Do you guys think there will be a final wave of acceptances for UofT come next Monday?

Toronto's my first choice and I'm starting to lose hope. =/

Apr 1, 10 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Joscelin

hi all: subjective question but i'm having a hard time deciding:

i was admitted to a few programs but i am considering deferring a year and reapplying, or trying to transfer credit next year

i did not get into berkeley, which is where i'd really like to go

i want to take a summer program to produce more work for another portfolio but berkeley's is just too long-i can't be unemployed for 8 wks

soooo i am looking at sci arc, utexas, columbia and gsd's summer programs

anyone have insight into the type of projects each program undertakes and which might be the best preparatory course to create a portfolio that will appeal to berkeley admissions:)

Apr 1, 10 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
pepto

Placed on the waiting list at Georgia Tech as well; letter states I will be contacted with a final decision on or around April 12th.

Apr 1, 10 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
shelby

In answer to whoever was asking whether people are choosing UW or not: I don't know yet! I'm in the airport on my way to Seattle for the open house, and am also visiting UT Austin and U of O within the next 12 days. I'm really excited to learn more about all 3 programs in person and figure out which one is the best fit for me. So far the financial situation looks about the same at all 3 places, so I have complete freedom to choose the one I really love the most.

Will I be seeing any of you at the UW open house tomorrow? I'll be wearing a fuschia REI rain jacket (darn Seattle weather!), if you want to say hi.

Apr 1, 10 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

Joscelin_ i can only speak about berkeley and sci-arc's summer programs having participated in both. however, berkeley's is the longest at 8 weeks and sci-arc's is a bit shorter at 6 weeks. i've heard ut austin's is the cheapest.

a little insight on what would "appeal" to berkeley's admissions, at least what we were told in the summer 2009 program:

#1 = portfolio, if berkeley is your first choice, i would definitely recommend their summer program since about 10 or so of us who participated in the summer program we accepted. quite a with fellowships and funding.

#2 = statement of purpose and personal history statement. berkeley is your typical research based institution and i have a feeling that they're big on writing. these essays have to be super introspective and honest. they were specifically advised us to paint a narrative of ourselves in the essay and not talk about the info that can be gathered from a resume or cv. the chair of advisers told me my essay was problematic and while i scribbled it up right before it was due, her points were valid since the paragraph i wrote was really vague and not specific enough. i'm glad to share my essays with you if you're interested. just email me. i also have a feeling that since berkeley has a strong history with people's right and leftist views, that may be a favorable view point, or maybe it doesn't matter. just don't say how much you love bush or something nuttly like that.

my gpa and gre scores are weaksauce, so i don't think you need to worry about those as much. getting good letters of rec is also key and participating in berk's program would be most beneficial. it's only 2 weeks more than most of the other programs.

as far as fun and really delving into the deign process, i would recommend sci-arc. making + meaning was the program that won me over. never a dull moment and a bunch of toxic fumes and power tools. anyway, not sure about the others.

Apr 1, 10 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Joscelin: what other programs were you admitted to?

Apr 1, 10 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
TheGrimAce

@word2bird

Sorry to burst your bubble but SCI-Arc: Making+Meaning has changed somewhat in duration period; it is no longer 6 weeks but rather 5 weeks (summer '10: July12 - Aug13) and cost $3400 for the summer program.

@ Joscelin

Ah man, I know what you mean about being unemployed for any summer program out there. I'm probably in the same boat as you and I don't know whether to quit my current job to attend a summer program or not. I do want more stuff for my portfolio but program cost and living expenses are going hurt my already beaten down wallet.

Here's the link to SCI-Arch: Making+Meaning website:
http://www.sciarc.edu/portal/programs/making_meaning/index.html

Have you considered UCLA Jumpstart summer program? I was considering that one since it's also in the LA region. Unfortunately, it cost even more (about $4330 for visiting students; I'm assuming your not a current UCLA undergrad because if you are it's a bit cheaper for UCLA students) and last for 6 weeks (Jun21 - July30). But it's compose of 3 courses which sounds like your getting more 'bang for your buck' but it's hard to say.

Here's the link to main UCLA Jumpstart summer program:
http://www.summer.ucla.edu/institutes/Architecture/overview.htm

Oh, I think I remember seeing some of the past projects on the main UCLA architecture homepage for their Jumpstart summer program. It's pretty intriguing. Sorry I can provide a link since UCLA arch homepage has too many floating windows and whatnot moving all around the place.

Apr 1, 10 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Joscelin

Thanks all for the advice. I was admitted to UWash, U of Oregon and CCA. No word on UCLA yet.

I am leaning toward Sci-Arc's program and considering doing a year at CCA, since I need to be in the Bay Area for personal/logistical reasons, and then trying to transfer either into U of O Portland ap (where I'll likely ask for a deferral this year) or Berkeley, if I get in.

I am quitting my current job in late April and then likely going to bartend or waitress or do some odd job till Sci-Arc's program. Works out cause it is late in the summer so it gives me a chance to work a bit before.

I am just wondering if the Harvard or Columbia name carries any weight, summer-program wise. I've really liked the work GSAPP's sp produces, and timing is right (July-Aug).

Word2Bird: will definitely email you for essays and hopefully to meet up once I live in the Bay Area again.

Apr 1, 10 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

kestrel-
I'll look out for you at the UW open house tomorrow. Fuschia REI jacket is hard to miss.

I'm really interested to hear what you think about UT and UofO since those are the other programs that I really liked -- and the ones that liked me back ;)

My heart is already set on UW, but I would still love to hear your thoughts after you visit.

Apr 1, 10 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Greg.

Well, this sucks.

No school despite months of preparation, and even worse no real job despite months attempting to look for one and rejections from roles that seemed pretty damn suitable for me based on my experience ...

Anyone else here in my situation?

Apr 1, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Greg.

ADavin: about GSD mailing their final decisions just yesterday, that is pretty fucked up. I honestly think they got stoned this year looking through applications. They're like "screw this". Well, GSD, screw you.

Apr 1, 10 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
catinthebag

praxis is absolutely right in pointing out the amazing human resources that Berkeley has. I didn't mean to skate over those, or somehow imply that one shouldn't go there, given the chance. The program is very, very exciting. I myself reapplied, but mostly for personal reasons - am in love with the bay area, and my manfriend lives there.

I just thought it was important to go in with your eyes open; since their program is only 2 years, you have to know what to expect, so you can make the most of the experience. Obviously we're all expected to be independent at this point, but to make a creepy and Orwellian point... not all schools are equally well-structured and funded, and not all students are self-sufficient to the highest degree. Some are more so than others.

Being a public school, there're just some luxuries of a well-oiled system that we've had to do without. Our first run-down laser cutter was actually on loan from Prof. Iwamoto... but late in 2008 the computing dept found a surprise stash of misdirected funds and purchased a spanking new one with a much larger cutting bed. Of course it broke down almost immediately after due to heavy student use, just before final reviews, and it took weeks to find the money/parts for replacement... successfully pissing off everyone who had stuff due. There's a mythical CNC router that not many have seen or anyone has been allowed to use, and one other starch and plastic 3d printer each. Even the lab tech/grad student running the place has told me the scanty fab lab tends to scare off prospective students during open house.

Plotting is a bit of a nightmare. That goes without saying, but you have to manage time very carefully for reviews and send files to print maybe a day ahead of time, especially if the queues are long. They can get very long. They also charge about $15 a 30x40" plot, which shocked Harvard teachers when they came here (apparently the GSD gives it out for free and in plenty?).

The central heating system was out of order for over a semester and we had to endure cold air blasting out in winter. We resorted to bringing in personal heaters in in Fall 08, my last semester there... this is starting to sound really petty, but it was absolutely miserable to try and work in freezing conditions.

I've also kept in touch all through last year and this year with teachers and students there, and it sounds like structural problems have gotten pretty bad. Of course dissatisfaction does run pretty high in big schools with different interests, but the infighting I was referring to is less about funding (maybe it also is) and more about ideology. Different factions are openly/under-the-surface hostile - teachers have started bitching pretty frequently to students, if that's any indication. The new dean is an urban planner and has confessed little knowledge/experience of other disciplines, but is very democratic and willing to work things out. Still, it must be noted the state of affairs has dissuaded other big names to come teach here, and I honestly wouldn't know how likely some current professors are likely to stay in the long term (including money issues).

Funding wise, other than the supporting facilities I've listed above, is sort of a problem campus-wide. The new Berkeley Art Museum by Toyo Ito was cancelled because the Cal Building Dept is officially bankrupt. The refurbishment of existing facilities is largely driven by whatever donations they can get - my old SF firm worked on one room they were doing up, and heard the gossip. Dana Buntrock (another faculty superstar) was the one financing the project my firm was doing. But the CED somehow also manages to blow five, six figures on random wooden benches in the courtyard and a weird steel-paneled waiting lounge for the old dean that noone ever uses... the plasma tv in the waiting space has been stolen before, though.

In terms of red tape, this has only been my personal experience - but I've only just received my official diploma (ended classes Dec. 08, walked with my 09 class later in summer). The system managed to lose my application for the degree list twice, and I finally had to go into three different offices (CED, International House, Registrar) and fill in forms + pay fees to get things settled once and for all. I remember the Registrar was inexplicably closed the on my day off, and I had to run back there another time to get my transcripts (which were $20 a pop). Administrative office hours are kinda short in Wurster - some days they close randomly, most times they're locked from 4pm and for lunch hour - but once you actually get ahold of a human being they're very nice and helpful.

All that said, I really don't regret ever going to school at Cal, and enjoyed my experience tremendously. The dedicated teachers and the amazing students have been my privilege to know and learn from... and I hope others go on to the same. The studio environment in Wuster has always been amazingly collaborative among students, and never negatively competitive, which always surprises visiting professors from more famous schools.

Just recognize certain issues that might trip you up, make contingency plans if necessary, and you'll be able to make the most of it.

Apr 1, 10 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Greg.

^ wall of text

Apr 1, 10 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
catinthebag

I talk too much, sorry. :( Need to learn how to edit.

Apr 1, 10 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
discordantsystem

So, good news, just got in UofT's MLA program with a nice chunk of money offerd too. I already accepted UBC for M.Arch, but still, motivating letter to see after a hard day.

Apr 1, 10 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

@LWCW

I honestly can't tell you. I know as much as you about the whole admission process of u of t and since they send it via email I don't know......I only knew how Canada Post worked (since UBC sent in acceptances via mail). Sorry i couldn't be much help...good luck!!

Apr 1, 10 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
st1tch

@LWCW,

I'm hoping there will be, U of T is my first choice as well. I know that they accept 83 students for their first year so hopefully there will be a couple more days of acceptances next week. Good luck to the both of us!

Apr 2, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
guyforget

aguacate: that was awesome... appreciated it as a new Berkeley student - feel better?

Apr 2, 10 12:42 am  · 
 · 
guyforget

Joscelin: it's just that those are fine programs that you have been accepted to. If you are going to hold out for Berkeley, defer UO, I think they let students do this. Considering how utterly and completely unpredictable the admissions committees appear to be, it could be a pretty big risk. I am sorry for being a broken record: It appears as if Berkeley has let in at least ten students from its summer program, 2009, and it looks like it may have been even more than ten. This is an incredible ratio for option threes, like 30% - 40% of their incoming option three class did the summer program (I was shocked as I thought it would have no bearing on their decisions, but it did). But 2009 was the first year for it, and they may be less gung ho about it next year. Who knows? A transcript from Harvard or Columbia is going to carry some weight any way you cut it. And the dean at SCI-arc is a Berkeley grad, so maybe that helps - he comes up to speak and sit on crits quite frequently at Cal. Also, there are many teachers that teach at both CCA and Berkeley, so there are connections to be made there. Have you visited CCA? It has a really nice vibe. Also, from what I understand UO shares many attributes with Berkeley and is a damn fine program.

Apr 2, 10 1:00 am  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

hey st1tch...why is U of T your first choice?

I'm having quite a hard time deciding which would be better for me U of T or UBC.
Coming from a fine arts background, I'm looking for more opportunity to explore other parts of my brain beyond just theory and design. Although I don't mind it and expect it in architecture school I want to be given options where I can learn practical and scientific aspects as well. I'd like one well connected to the city with regards to practices and such. But seems like UBC and U of T are kind of parallel in those aspects...I dunno.

with city wise I'd like to experience something new and toronto provides that (since I've lived in vanc), but then again I see myself eventually settling down in BC. so poop

Apr 2, 10 1:47 am  · 
 · 
shelby

MArch4April - I will now be the tired-looking one arriving late in a fuschia REI jacket, thanks to a flight cancellation!

Apr 2, 10 1:51 am  · 
 · 
Greg.

Those of you that were rejected by email from the GSD had asked them by phone or email for your status to be sent via email, correct? (as opposed to them sending the email without any request on your part)

Apr 2, 10 3:45 am  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

Making + Meaning-

No one's mentioned that for those people who do the program, at the end of the session they say, "Ok, for those of you who haven't been accepted here yet, you have the weekend to make a portfolio and submit it", and then a few kids get chosen to go directly into the M.Arch program along with everyone else in the summer session.

SO if you are really desperate to get into SCI-Arc, you might do that option... you could start school along with everyone else this coming Fall, without having to reapply. That's if they accept you, of course. Worse case scenario- you have material for your port for the upcoming round of applications.

Apr 2, 10 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Hellas

Sent an e-mail to the GSD and got a polite rejection. APPLICATIONS OVER. So here are the final stats:

21 y.o
Undergraduate Architecture degree @ Edinburgh University
GRE scores: Verbal:750 Quant: 720 Essays: 5.0
GPA: (don't know-we don't have those in Europe)

In:

Yale
Columbia
Penn
Royal College of Art (London)
Architectural Association (London-entry into 4th year)

Out:

Princeton
Harvard

The link to my portfolio is below, but when viewing it, select presentation view from the top left hand corner or it doesn't work-it is composed of a series of A3 spreads folded into a booklet...

portfolio

Apr 2, 10 6:45 am  · 
 · 
liwennette

Hellas - nice work. which school are you leaning towards?

Apr 2, 10 7:02 am  · 
 · 
Hellas

Thanks, looks like Yale for me at the moment, but haven't really seen much student work so I'm going to the open day and making up my mind then...I've heard so many different opinions about the course that it'll be good to see it for myself.

Apr 2, 10 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Sounder

@ Hellas -

love the potfolio, looks great. What program did you use to lay it out? Congrats on the acceptances.

Apr 2, 10 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Hellas

@ Sounder.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. It was laid out on photoshop which was pretty time-consuming - InDesign is probably a better bet.

Apr 2, 10 7:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: