Archinect
anchor

2010 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Pythagoras

@ word2bird - hey birdie,thanks for sharing your advice on the SOPs. Very insightful comments you have! I will definitely email you for the essays. Berkeley's program is amazing, and I am looking to apply to the school this fall !

@ Joscelin, TheGrimAce - have you decided on which summer program you will be attending? I was almost certain of enrolling in UTSOA's Summer Academy till I saw the discussion on SCI-Arc's M+M and Columbia's summer Intro to Arch. I am now having second thoughts, since like what guyforget has mentioned, there's weight in having GSD/GSAPP on your resume. I am not too sure about UT though. One of the reasons why I am attracted to the course is the lower cost of the program, reasonable duration of 5 weeks (I cant be away for more than 5 weeks!) and a very helpful faculty.

UTSOA's summer academy is at $1,300 while those at SCI-Arc and GSAPP, $3,400 and $2900 respectively. The difference is huge. Does anyone know why this is so? And does tuition rate equate quality? I know that UT's Summer Academy is just as intensive as any others. So I can't figure out why the rate disparity is that wide. Anybody able to shed some light on this?

Apr 2, 10 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

@ discordantsystem - congrats on your acceptances ! What made you decide to go to UBC? I think you could have mentioned it somewhere in this forum, but I cant seem to find it. It's a pleasant surprise for me to know that UBC's tuition rates are a tenth of most grad schs in US. It's a school that I will looking to apply this year.

Apr 2, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 
mitboi

@passerby1ce, by any chance did you post your portfolio earlier on? if not, could you share it with us so I can see what UofT/UBC look for in a portfolio? thanks!

Apr 2, 10 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

@ mitboi - are you attending any summer programs?

Apr 2, 10 10:26 am  · 
 · 
jacobldavis

waitlisted at GA Tech...

bum out.

Apr 2, 10 10:45 am  · 
 · 
mitboi

@Pythagoras, just waiting for UofT, but it seems like ppl received their acceptances last night. If no good news from UofT, I will attend the summer program for sure. I figured that since I am going to try again next year, then I will have to do this instead of regretting it when it comes down to December. It's probably between UTSOA/GSAPP and GSD now.

are you still planning to go to UTSOA?

Apr 2, 10 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Joscelin

@Pythagoras, @guyforget

I am leaning toward Sci-Arc bc it starts later in the summer, giving me time to work. I'll really need to work if I am going to go to school this fall... Also I like how their program looks and there are ppl in LA who I can stay with.

I REALLY want to take Berkeley's program but, damn, 8 weeks of unemployment does not sound like something that I can swing at this point.

I have not visited CCA because I live in Argentina for my work (from SF though) so I kind of have to make a blind choice since I cannot attend any open houses. I have spoken to U of O students and am pretty excited about their program as well.

Hoping that there are other ways that I can get on the radar of the Berkeley admissions committee and faculty if I do not do the summer program. Suggestions welcome:).

Apr 2, 10 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

@ mitboi - GL with UoT ! Hope you get good news soon : )
I am going to a summer program for sure. Like what you have mentioned, I dont want to regret it when Dec comes round again. I have yet to decide on choice of program. I have been emailing both UTSOA and SCI-Arc for info and clarifications. Did some online research on their programs.

SCI-Arc - extensive discussions on this thread by birdie and a few others who have attended the program.I found a blog on this program :

http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/entry.php?id=24004_0_39_0_C

I do have some concerns about the facilities and SCI-Arc being an architecture school (cus I am keen to go into urban planning as well and SCI-Arc doesnt run any grad programs on city/regional planning).

UTSOA - I didnt know that Summer Academy has been around for 26 years (and counting). Check this out.

http://soa.utexas.edu/news/archive/071207/

Do let me know when you have decided !

@ Joscelin - if you are serious about getting into Berkeley ( and I think you really are), you should enroll in Berkeley's summer program. It's probably the most effective way to get on their radars, since a number of those who sit on the ad comms are the ones who will be present for the summer program. Of course, the downside is, if you don't leave a good impression, they are likely to remember you as well. If i can afford an 8-week leave of absence from work, I will get myself on that program right away.

Apr 2, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 
aveclaudenum

Berkeley open house is Monday, April 5th, correct?

Apr 2, 10 11:40 am  · 
 · 
boundless

Anyone equally torn about deciding between programs?

Would love opinions from all you great archinecters about UTSOA vs. UVa for an M.Arch 1. I really love both programs and am torn. Would be great to get input/thoughts about either program that others can provide.

Thanks guys!

Apr 2, 10 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

aaron_ monday, april 5th it is. my mom and i fly out of so cal tomorrow morning. will you be at the open house?

joscelin_ if you want to put in lots of work, rarely sleep, have tons of fun and really learn the design process, sci-arc's m+m is it! as sbeth mentioned, and i don't know how i forgot about this, but at the end of the program, they will allow people to submit portfolios and choose about 2-5 students to admit right away, fall 2010. i have no idea how i neglected to mention this since i did try for it and was rejected. other candidates were more well prepared and all i had was making + meaning stuff.

pythagoras_ i know a current berkeley student who did the ut austin summer program and did well. however, we has ultimately rejected from ut austin and accepted at berkeley, so who knows?

Apr 2, 10 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
aveclaudenum

yeah, i'll be there

Apr 2, 10 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Pythagoras

@ word2bird, did you have the chance to see those stuff that your friend did during the summer program? i really want to focus on design stuff and model-making, so I need to be in a program that has a strong focus on this area. And going by what you have said, SCI-Arc's program seems to be a perfect fit with what I am looking for. How was your experience with the instructors at SCI-Arc? I heard awful stories about the faculty and how snobbish they are. I have intentions to get the instructors to help out with my LORs, but if they are not helpful, then I will have problems eventually.

Apr 2, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

woo-hoo!!! [in]arch reunion. i'm brining my mama with me to the open house. it's going to be awesome. she's going to ask silly questions about whether it's safe for me to be working at wurster late and night and funny stuff like that. can't wait.

i hope she asks something hilarious like, so what does all this mess have to do with architecture? where are the building and homes?

Apr 2, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
LWCW

@ passerby1ce

I'm from Vancouver myself but I moved to Toronto to do my undergrad at UofT. There are definitely pros and cons to each city. I'm coming from a non-arch background, so I'm afraid I'm not well-trained enough to make comparisons about pedagogy or academics between the two schools, but I do love how the campus is located downtown within walking distance of basically everything. =P

@ st1tch, passerby1ce, mitboi

I was checking my application status page today and I realized that it still says "documents pending", but if I go into the "supporting documents" page it says everything has been received. Does it say the same thing for you guys?

Apr 2, 10 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
st1tch

@LWCW

mine says "documents pending" as well. I spoke to Lucy about it awhile back and she said that many people were experiencing the same issue and to just disregard it.

Apr 2, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

Hurdy Gurdy Man, I think you should contact CCA MArch director, Chris Falliers ([email protected]) to all aspects of the program. Also, check out their curriculum from their website. The program required 2 semesters of internship before you graduate from the school. I talked to Chris about this. He said the program will make sure you get paid for your internship unless you intern with non-profit agency. I would think you would get very good chance to step in a job by a year of internship you do. The student I talked to was interned in Lisa Iwamoto firm. Her husband Craig Scott teaches in CCA.

I visited the school 2 weeks ago. I really like their program direction. You have chances to take electives from different design disciplines within the school, like industrial design, fashion...etc. The girl I spoke took a studio in film. It definitely broad your design horizon. And, since all design programs are in the same building (was an old bus terminal so it's a big space), you can interact and see all designs everyday. Kind of exciting.

The program is relatively smaller. 30 students per year. I believe you would get a lot of attention from faculties. I was there on their spring break. Faculties still came to school to help students. And, what I understood, they are more encouraging than cut-throat type.

School has architecture lecture series. They do invite famous architects to give talks. You can download them from i-tune. http://www.cca.edu/calendar/architecture

School also engages to the city a lot. They have a studio to work on pavements of San Francisco park sites right now.
http://www.cca.edu/news/2010/02/26/mayor-newsome-recognizes-cca-and-others-official-showplace-triangle-opening

I found this online. You can see their past students' thesis works.
http://sites.cca.edu/gradthesisevents/2010/index.html

It seems a very young and active program. I do like it a lot.

Apr 2, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Moikka

Boundless,

I have a previous background in architecture (4 yr program) and am going back to get my masters. I was accepted to Harvard, UTSOA, and UVA. I have chosen UVA.

Ultimately, I chose UVA because of the faculty - they are very committed to teaching and they have a lot of interaction with the students. I like the small program, but for a small program, there are a lot of studio opportunities. My impression that UVA is more academic. Plus, Charottesville is an amazing town - it is small, but so much goes on there!

Apr 2, 10 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

pythagoras_ yunez is in a class of his own. this thing is, that boy worked on many projects of his own. projects he designed for himself such as the pendant light design, the typeface (my personal fave) and the, goodness, i don't even remember what they're called- hypercubes or something. hans is very methodical/technical, you know, math/science stuff that although i do fine with aren't my real strengths. of the 5 projects in his portfolio, 3 he worked were his own and 2 were from laiad. i guess my point is that you cannot expect your work to look like his. and don't be comparing yourself to others anyway. be your own worst critic and have lots of arguments with yourself. let your light shine, man!

but what i do think, is that for both hans and i, well, i'll speak for myself, what the sci-arc making + meaning program did is really inspire me to think critically about design. it did force me to have to ask myself why i was making a certain move? at the same time, most of the work is super intuitive and there is a drive to create this sort of artistic/creative archie out of you. while hans didn't include any m+m material in his portfolio, since i know the guy, i know that his intrests have been the same all along. he likes parametric design, cubes, repetitive element. things also have to really line up and make sense to him of else... no go. anyway, that's what m+m is successful in.

many were frustrated several times during m+m, don't get me wrong. myself included, actually. the project with the blocks of wood required a band saw and there weren't many. many felt the program could be really unorganized and lacking of foresight. i agreed on many occasions. Damn, I ramble too much!!!

As far as instructors, I think the structure is actually better than Berkeley’s program in that you’re supposed to have a different instruct for each project, approx 5, so a week with each instructor. In 2008, we only ended up getting to experience 3 instructors because time went bonkers on us and the last 3 weeks were spent with the same instructor. Personally, this worked for me because I really ended up bonding with my instructor who later became one of me LOR writers. Some instructors and snobs and some are really helpful. Lucky for me, I had great instructors (Josh, Herwig and Jimmy). Herwig has worked with the likes of Gehry and his name always made me think of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.” Jimmy- I really connected with. He pushed me like no other and talked shit to me for my own good. He went to Sci-Arc, then Princeton and it seriously brilliant. I have to admit that the experience differs drastically depending on the instructor. I know this because at Berkeley, my instructor and I didn’t get along and so certain points were miserable.

Bottom Line, if you want some hand drawings and lots of 3d models, go with sci-arc. If you prefer digital portfolio work, go with Berkeley. The beginning of my portfolio is all m+m stuff, the middle is [in]arch stuff.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Apr 2, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@Greg. - I think I may be in the same situation as you. I only applied to two schools because I wanted to do the best I could on those two apps. I guess this wasn't the best approach. I am in a bit of a different situation than most of the other posters probably are. I'm in my 30's, have two young children (under 7), and my husband is also a full-time student, so it was important for me to try to do my very best on the ones that I sent off. I don't have a lot of time to myself, so I wanted to do really well on a couple rather than mediocre on many.

I still have yet to hear from my second school, but am not expecting much at this point. Am very sad about the whole thing because I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing than going to arch school, honestly.

So, yes, this does suck. Crossing my fingers for the second school to come through for me, but if it doesn't, I'll be in the same boat as you, Greg, and I sure as hell won't make the same mistake next year.

Apr 2, 10 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

Sure I'll post my stats...

27/f/Filipina
GPA - 3.213
BFA Major in Painting

UBC M.arch - IN
U of T M.arch - IN
UBC MLA - Waitlisted
Dalhousie - waiting (since due date was on Mar 1)

I didn't go to any summer program. I used what I did in art school and independent projects. No arch related stuff.

To my regret I didn't take much graphic design in undergrad, so the layout is REALLY simple. The learning curve for using other computer programs for making a portfolio was too steep and I didn't have enough time to learn it. So I used blurb.com, easy, piecy, japanesey.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/751322/f3fc95dc9f571f7728cd01fc82e30ad1?ce=blurb_ew&utm_source=widget

Apr 2, 10 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
waitImpatiently

For anyone who applied to Post Grad Programs at SCI-Arc... Results are in...

I have been accepted into the MediaSCAPES Program at SCI-Arc and would love to talk to anyone else who has. Not sure if I am going or not. Would like to hear other people's input into the program. Maybe someone knows something I do not.

Thanks...

Apr 2, 10 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
st1tch

@passerby,

I emailed you a response last night since it was too long to post.

Apr 2, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

passerby1ce_ your paintings are DOPE!!! i'm really into the pixelation... very interesting perspective.

so nice to see a fellow pinay represetin' on this thread! congrats, girl. i'm glad schools are good about considering folks without any architecture work per se, though your visual work is stunning, so yeah. props, for sure!

Apr 2, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ahas

@ Moikka,

Were you able to make it to UVa's open house? Or UTSOA's? If you did, do you mind telling me a little bit about it. I'm also trying to decide between UTSOA and UVa, but I'm overseas and couldn't travel.

Through this whole process (application and acceptance), I personally found UVa to be the most professional. The school seems to encourage work across disciplinary boundaries which is what I find very appealing but since I don't know any UVa grads, I don't know what the students feel.

I also got in to the dual MARCH/MUD at WUSTL and the travel opportunities there are very enticing!

Anyone else overseas and torn about how to make a decision without seeing these schools?

Apr 2, 10 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

good got that took a while. Finally heard back from Berkeley

26/m
Miami University BFA (3.06), M.Arch (3.64)

GRE 1120 aw 4.5 (took in 2005....did not feel like writing another paragraph in cursive)

GSAPP MSAUD -IN + $$ = going (top choice)
Berkeley MUD - Waitlisted
GSD MAUD - OUT + portfolio in the trash

Apr 2, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Hurdy Gurdy Man

KTLRPP --Thanks for your input.

While I hear from many different people that SCI-arc has better name recognition among architects than CCA, I feel that CCA has a very promising M.Arch program. THe location, the 'vibe', the internships, all make it sound like it may be an up and coming program.

Apr 2, 10 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Hurdy Gurdy,

I think that you may be right (100% intuitive statement). I can at least speak of my recent experiences, San Fran is an incredible place to be studying architecture - there are so many interesting people doing so many interesting things here, it seems never ending. Also, I think that the beauty of the area is inspiring for design...

Also, I don't know what kind of relationship SCI-arc has with UCLA, but the relationship between Cal and CCA is quite strong, shared faculty, joint lectures, events, etc. - lacks an air of pretentiousness or elitism, it's nice. Feels very collaborative.

Do you have to have a car to go to SCI-arc? I mean, you have to ask yourself, what kind of urban environment are you interested in contributing to, being informed/ inspired by? San Fran and L.A. are night and day Mixed use? High Density? Centered communities? or, sprawl.... (sorry for projecting)

Apr 2, 10 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sounder

I'll post my stats, though I'm definitely in a different situation than most here. Plus the fact that I applied to overseas schools. Hope you all don't mind my sharing. It's been really interesting seeing everyone's approaches and results on here! Thanks for sharing everyone.

25/F/White
No idea on the GRE's
3.78 GPA
BA Environmental Design
MArch

I applied to mostly foreign schools - well all actually.
Edinburgh College of Art - In
Glasgow School of Art - In
AA - Late Deadline - Still waiting, hopes not really high
U Auckland- Deadline is way in the future, but prospects good!
SCAD - hate to say it, but haven't finished application, cause I really want to go out of the country.

Oh, and I'm getting a Post-Pro in Urban Design

Apr 2, 10 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sounder

I'll post my stats, though I'm definitely in a different situation than most here. Plus the fact that I applied to overseas schools. Hope you all don't mind my sharing. It's been really interesting seeing everyone's approaches and results on here! Thanks for sharing everyone.

25/F/White
No idea on the GRE's - Been a while
3.78 GPA
BA Environmental Design
MArch

I applied to mostly foreign schools - well all actually.
Edinburgh College of Art - In
Glasgow School of Art - In
AA - Late Deadline - Still waiting, hopes not really high
U Auckland- Deadline is way in the future, but prospects good!
SCAD - hate to say it, but haven't finished application, cause I really want to go out of the country.

Oh, and I'm getting a Post-Pro in Urban Design

Apr 2, 10 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sounder

oh crap, sorry for the double post

Apr 2, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Hurdy Gurdy Man

I dont like the sprawl of Los Angeles but perhaps there could be more job prospects in Los Angeles post M.Arch because of this? More of a need for specialized design solutions.... Perhaps???

Apr 2, 10 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Moikka

Ahas,

I did go to the UVA open house (UVA and UT were on the same day so I had to choose. I chose UVA's because I had better/more professional communication with them. UT just sent me an email with a PDF of the admission letter. About 30 + other students were on the email list so I saw that a few of my friends were on the list). I was really impressed by the UVA open house - throughout the day professors and current students were mingling with us prospective students, answering questions. Unlike other schools, where the professors just come in and teach studio and then leave, the UVA professors seem really invested in the students. What I also liked is that they school had a diverse faculty, in the sense that some are really into computers, some really like tectonics, the poetics of space, etc. The students seem grounded, mature and dedicated to their work. I got the sense the school had a collaborative and strong studio culture.

I don't know too much about WashU from personal experience, but I do know several people who are currently in the program. Yes, there are many abroad opportunities, but I hear that the are "fun" but the overseas studios aren't particularly challenging. Also, the school recently got a new dean and new faculty, so it is a school in transition because I think there is a concerted effort to change the direction of the school.

Apr 2, 10 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Perhaps, but that factor is so un-dependably speculative that it might not be beneficial to your decision process right now - intuition is helpful sometimes...

Apr 2, 10 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
ahas

@ Moikka,

Thanks for posting your thoughts! That's the impression I've been getting from my research on UVa, and I'm glad someone can say it holds up in real life. I'm really leaning towards them at the moment... but again not being able to visit, I want to make sure I have thought this through well and not just base it on basic impressions I've found online.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get a sense of the studio culture there? I get the impression that it seem to encourage collaboration, esp since there are studios with mixed architecture and landscape architecture students. But I haven't found much information beyond that.

Thanks again!

Apr 2, 10 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
boundless

Thank you to all of you regarding your input on UVA vs. UT. It's really helpful especially since as Moikka points out, they scheduled their open houses on the same day.

I chose the UT open house because I had been to the prospective student open house at UVA. I was very impressed by Uva at the propsective student open house and very impressed by UT at the accepted student open house. Hence my tough decision.

The professors at UT seemed very engaged and involved. They all come from impressive schools and seem like a diverse and very creative bunhc. I suspect there is a little less interaction between departments than at UVa, but those opportunities do exist. Students also seemed smart and engaged. In contrast to almost any other school I looked at, UT has a very laid back attitude. This could be good or bad depending on who you are and what you want.

The program at UT is a semester longer than at UVA and it seems like a lot of students stay an additional semester. For me, the issue of timing is one to consider. I remember speaking with many people at UVa who graduated with a dual degree in 4 years. I'm left wondering which school can provide me with the most in a specific time-frame. Seems like it might be UVa.

The facilities at UT were amazing. Their studios are huge light filled spaces which are, in some places, connected by outdoor spaces used for relaxing and or improptu constructing of models, etc. The computer labs, woodshop, fabrication labs were huge, clean and unbelievably nice. They also have a materials library which was pretty cool.

Austin also seems like a very cool town. That said, the A-school is directly across the street from West Campus which is the center of all undergaduate activity. I got the sense that grad students are spread out throughout Austin and while buses/bikes are definitely an option for transportion, almost everyone I spoke with owned and used thier car to get to class at least a few days a week.

I hope that might help those who opted for the UVa open house.

Keep the comments coming. Two weeks and counting until decision day....

Apr 2, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
ahas

Also, a new dean at WUSTL? Bruce Lindsey has been there for a few years now..I'm surprised to hear its still considered "in transition" ...

Apr 2, 10 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

word2bird
University of Oregon has a thesis option, but you could also just take part in a different prepared year long studio.

I'm doing MArch because i have a B.S. but also because i really want to have a project that is 100% my own, something you will never ever get to do unless you become rich one day.

is there anyone who doesn't want to do a thesis?

Apr 2, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
clearlyambguous

where is USC?! i was told on Monday I would hear by the end of the week, and nothing in the mail today..... i wonder how many acceptances they sent out already...

can they just tell me my fate instead of making me suffer.....

Apr 2, 10 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

letter closing by all those related to berkeley and the architecture department = best

Apr 2, 10 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Moikka

I guess what I meant by "in transition" is that Bruce Lindsey coming in as a new dean also correlated with a major restructuring of the school...the School of Architecture became the College of Architecture in the Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Arts, at Washington University in St. Louis. I think this is the first year that WashU will have a landscape program. However, I think one of WashU's strengths is it dual degree programs...and it's establishment of a landscape program makes it even stronger. But I'm definitely not an expert on WashU...and I'm only repeating what I've heard...

Boundless,

Thanks for your input on UT. When applying to schools, I got the impression that UT and UVA were similar both in terms of curriculum and students(which is why I applied to both of them!). For me, UVA makes more sense because I will only have to go two years and at UT i would have to go 2.5-3 yrs...UVA is also cheaper per semester for me and I'd be able to graduate with no loans.

Ahas,

I got a bit of a sense of studio culture. Current students told me that there was collaboration across fields and it is something the faculty mentioned. The only "proof" of this I have is that my host (an M. Arch) was working on a studio project with an MLA - they were working on a model when I was there...

Apr 2, 10 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

Hurdy Gurdy Man, I feel the same way about CCA as you. It seems up and rising. 5 or 10 years down, reputation will be there. Btw, CCA with Santa Clara Univ. placed 3rd place in solar decathlon the past fall (ahead of Cornell). Also won NCARB prize. http://www.ncarb.org/Studying-Architecture/Educators/NCARB-Prize-Program/2010-Prize-Winners/PrizeWinner1.aspx

School gave out good amount of money. I feel I will have manageable debt after school. I am planning to stay in bay area if I go to CCA. I think it's a pretty good choice to me (CCA was the only CA school I applied).

CCA uses pass/fail system for grade now so you can be more experimental on your projects.

And, if you or anyone here are interested CCA curriculum chart and fall 2010 elective courses description, send me an email. I will send you the files. You can have a better pictures what studio classes they have.

Like guyforget said, CCA and Cal has very close knit. You might be able to take a class at Cal if you like. Faculty in CCA will try to help you to achieve that.

Apr 2, 10 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

@st1itch Thanks! I read it and I do have a few questions, but I'll email you them when I've researched and formulated them better.

@word2bird I know, there's a lot of filipinos on this thread, which is kind of surprising to me. but I guess not that much, since pinoy parents usually want their kids to be professionals and if said kid wanted something art related they would want them to go into architecture....Best of luck to you in Berkley!

Now if only I can make a decision. I almost wanted to be rejected by u of t and thought I would be since it was taking so long. Just to make this decision easier. What do other fellow archinectors think?

What kind of person would benefit from a program like UBC/UofT?
What things does U of T offer better than UBC? and vice versa.
Does U of T offer more connections, and is more internationally recognized than UBC? or is it about the same? I'd like to take some business courses involving real estate as well, design/build, travel etc..

I guess I'll research a bit more. They don't have open houses but U of T did suggest going to their M.arch Review on Apr 12-14. I'll try and make it.

Apr 2, 10 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Passerby: I don't know much about these programs, but it sounds like they are both really great?

Personally, I would live in B.C. I think, comparatively, it is like asking yourself if would rather live in N.Y. (Toronto) or Seattle (Vancouver). What interests you in design? How will climate and ecology affect your process/ style.

I like having access to mountains and stunning natural views, (not that there aren't these things out East) so Western North America has got it done for me. Also, I like it how it's laid back out here. What are your preferences? We are you living now, again?

Apr 2, 10 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I got accepted to SCI-Arc's MDesR Future Initiatives Program today around noon. Anyone else with mediscapes or SCIFI get some news?

Apr 2, 10 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
PjCoy

so this is somewhat of an unrelated question, but I was wondering what CAD programs you all use(d) for your renderings/presentations in your portfolios??

Apr 2, 10 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Greg.

How long does it take the GSD to respond to you with their admissions decision via email after having contacted them?

Hopefully not as long as it takes them to send the damn thing via snail mail.

Pathetic. That's the end of that story!

Apr 2, 10 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Greg.

maryagnes, yeah, true. However now I realize my question was kind of rhetorical rather than genuinely inquisitive, as the economy is in shambles and obviously there are many people both unemployed and unenrolled as a result. I believe there was a poll done here on archinect that revealed that around 30-40% of those replying to the poll were unemployed.

Anyway, it's time for me to say good-bye to this business. I guess it wasn't really worth a shot after all.

Peace.

Apr 2, 10 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
guyforget

Dude, what profession is more suitable? Sales? Were you only interested in architecture for a paycheck? Don't be so defeatist, have a drink, regroup and apply to more than two schools next time around. I was told to apply to ten, I applied to eight, and it is inexplicable as to why I got into one program and not another.

I talked to a guy that applied to ten schools, got rejected by seven, but was accepted to Harvard. Seven schools that weren't Harvard rejected him, says it all. Unfortunately we live in a numbers game world...

Sorry for being so blunt...

Apr 2, 10 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@guyforget - I wish I would have had that same suggestion.

I'm trying not to be defeatist, and even though I haven't heard from the second school, I'm trying to plan out what I'll do for next year, and what kinds of things I'll need to change if it becomes clear that's the path I need to take. Sure, I'm feeling like a loser and my ego is super damaged, but I also understand that it's my own fault, and that I just need to try harder next year.

@Greg. - I figured your post was rhetorical, but thought that it may make you feel a little better if you actually saw in print others in the same situation. Cheer up, and as guyforget said, try again next year.

I have gotten a lot from this forum, actually. I've paid attention to the schools that people are applying to, so as a result, I've made a list of which schools to target next year, and it's a whole lot longer than two! :) Thank you to all of you for posting your opinions, stats, and portfolios. I really have benefitted from all of it.

Apr 2, 10 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: