Archinect
anchor

Second Masters Degree??

g2244779911223345545

I'll keep this brief...I have in MA in Urban Planning with a focus in design and physical planning. I am 30 and for the past 5 years I have been working for a public transit administration as a transportation planner.

I know rhino, adobe, sketchup, keyshot etc.... and design and creativity in the workplace is really my nitch. I am more interested in creative design and doing public plazas, streetscapes, etc... more so then the nitty gritty of the public transit world.

Saying all this, I've been looking into  a second MA in Landscape Architecture or Urban Design (where available)....Thoughts? good idea? worth the money? will I really be able to work on the projects I'm seeking? job market?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Nov 30, 13 1:47 pm
observant

First, is your job a government job?  It sounds like one.  The MLA is compatible, but could you go back to that employer as a landscape architect trainee, in sort of a guaranteed manner?  Most l.a. firms are small, and the u.d wings of a-firms are small, too, or some licensed architects have simply learned those ropes and focused on urban design, with master planning and such.  I think your insight will give you a boost over others in a MLA program, but you should ask yourself if you want to be a traditional landscape architect and be a part of that occupation and its milieu.  However, your fields are connected.  This is not an apples to oranges change.  You have to weigh the variables, and there are several in your equation.

Nov 30, 13 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: