Archinect
anchor

Forum drug policy?

what r the rules around here for posting?  I admit to drinking sometimes (not yeat totally drunk).  I'm also wondering what it would be like on lsd?  or is that no allowed?  will i be jailed?

Nov 30, 13 11:00 am
observant

I am hopelessly uncool.  Hopeless.

I refuse to drink, unless it's a function like a wedding or a conference and it's OPEN bar.  My religious and cultural upbringing most certainly allow drinking.  I don't like the taste (of any of it, least of all beer), I don't like its cost, and I don't like the pressure to drink, particularly in college, which is a prescribed norm in this country, but not necessarily part of the university experience around the world.  In this regard, Americans are dipshits.

Drugs?  I have not partaken.  I'm clueless.  Where would you buy them?  On the street?  And who knows that person selling?  They could be selling you poison.  When in high school, I assumed that the patchouli oil I smelled on some girls was marijuana.  They were kind of on the earthy side, and kept company with the pot heads, so I assumed that scent meant that they had been using it.  It took me until 1 or 2 years after college to know what marijuana really smelled like.

Nov 30, 13 11:34 am  · 
 · 

I am hopelessly uncool.  Hopeless.

We know, no need to belabor the point.

Archinect has no policy regarding Posting While Intoxicated.

Nov 30, 13 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
observant

We know, no need to belabor the point.

It was for the benefit of newbies.  It's also a soapbox of sorts.

Archinect has no policy regarding Posting While Intoxicated.

Sometimes, I think many do.

Nov 30, 13 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Might not be a policy, but you should still be careful since the nsa is watching

Nov 30, 13 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I thought architects drink? I always perceived architects as having a bottle of bourbon under the desk to celebrate with if a big client came about. I drink on the weekends and on holidays....hehehe....I like to drink, my family members drink even my retired principal aunt On thanksgiving we like different things though.

What about sex do archinector's like sex.....I hope i'm not collaborating with virgins.

Nov 30, 13 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
This is LSD:

"There is a cloud floating on this sheet of paper. Without a cloud, there will be no rain; without rain, the trees cannot grow; and without trees, we cannot make paper. If we look even more deeply, we can see the sunshine, the logger who cut the tree, the wheat that became his bread, and the logger's father and mother. Without all these things, this sheet of paper cannot exist. In fact we cannot point to one thing that is not here - time, space, the earth, the rain, the minerals in the soil, the sunshine, the cloud, the river, the heat, the mind. Everything coexists with this sheet of paper. We cannot just be by ourselves alone; we have to inter-be with every other thing."

- Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of Understanding
Nov 30, 13 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

unfortunately, we inter-be into things so much that we're outbeing them and ourselves. 

ceci n'est pas un nuage. the treachery of being. 

Nov 30, 13 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Of the architects I know, they all fall into one of two categories: 1) Social drinkers who drink more often and likely consume more than others in their demographic; and 2) Those who seldomly partake, but over-indulge when they do.

As I nurse a hangover due to my office's 5-hour Friday liquid lunch, I wonder what category I currently fall into. Also, I have decisions to make (drink or not) for tonight's party, a housewarming at - take a guess - an architect friend's house. Also also, that friend and I make our own beer together.

...And such is the state of interns working their way up the ladder...

Nov 30, 13 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
observant

they all fall into one of two categories: 1) Social drinkers who drink more often and likely consume more than others in their demographic; and 2) Those who seldomly partake, but over-indulge when they do.

Ok, we're stereotyping, but this works with me, if this is what you observe.

I see some 1a) types in here, too:  social drinkers who drink at a function, and nurse a drink or two, and seldom partake.  I've known a good number of architects who fit this description, and I'd include myself.  You buy me 1 or 2 greyhounds, and I'll drink them.  After that, I'll switch over to a Sprite, so it might pass for a mixed drink and, if it doesn't, it doesn't.  I also make sure to wait a while and urinate before getting behind the wheel.  I don't know if this helps or not, never having been pulled over for weaving or such.

We had a principal who had the Christmas party (yep, all gentiles in that particular firm) who wouldn't dream of buying you a drink, so we sat there at the dinner table with coffee, tea, soft drinks, and water.  When dessert time came around, people hesitated, knowing how cheap he was.  I said "Sure, I'll have a slice of tiramisu."  I saw the principal wince.  Others followed suit, and ordered different desserts (about $5 to $6 apiece) from this Italian restaurant.  Touche.' You can bet he was cheap across the board.  He didn't like me.  When I got a better offer and left, I discussed this and other matters with a more junior principal and I expressed that it was my 'geographic demographics and the fact I didn't go to the prevailing alumni club school.'  This assistant principal said I was correct.

Nov 30, 13 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I went to a 30-year reunion with some of my architecture school buddies last weekend.  It was a blast... some really great folks, then and now.

I suddenly remembered that these were the same people who taught me to drink in the first place.  Good times, back when our livers were young, red, healthy.  A few of these friends seem to still imbibe like we did back then...

Nov 30, 13 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I count several alcoholic and mentally drug damaged architects as my friends. In no way do I see this as a positive influence on their architectural career or in their personal relationships. On the plus side going out together of an evening is a blast.......!

Dec 2, 13 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

wine and scotch got me through grad school and too many late nights/weekends at the office. My policy: if the clock ticks past 7pm and it looks like I'm be here a while, the wine is opened. It's important to add that I usually will not go home if the bottle is unfinished; work until there is no wine left!

Dec 2, 13 10:39 am  · 
 · 
observant

I count several alcoholic and mentally drug damaged architects as my friends. In no way do I see this as a positive influence on their architectural career or in their personal relationships.

They say architects have a high divorce rate.  I think I've seen that on those USA Today / homepage type lists for such a distinction.  However, they didn't make the unhappy or depressed list.  There are some moody, glum, and bitchy architects out there ... and I'm talking about the MEN. 

I don't know that many alcoholics among architects.  I know a few who think they are liquor connoisseurs and probably have a wine cork up their arses.  So, then, is liquor consumption correlated to career advancement?  Henry Ford said "I don't trust a man who doesn't salt his food" when evaluating potential candidates for high posts at the automaker, or so I recall reading.  W.C. Fields said "I don't trust someone who doesn't drink."  I knew that had to have been a famous line when an alcoholic ex-friend of mine said that to me.  It turned out he was the person you couldn't trust.  Too sloshed on the weekends to lift a finger.  And he also got mouthy with servers at restaurants once he'd had a few down the hatch. 

I'd bet it would impede you career and relationship functioning.

Dec 2, 13 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Observant, my first rule: Never turn down the opportunity to have a beer with the boss/big cheeses. Second rule: Having a good bottle of scotch-whiskey under your desk is a life saver when projects go sour in the last minutes before a deadline.

Dec 2, 13 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Everything I know about drinking I learned from my father. He had one steadfast rule: only drink if you're alone or with someone.

Dec 2, 13 11:47 am  · 
 · 
observant

Observant, my first rule: Never turn down the opportunity to have a beer with the boss/big cheeses. Second rule: Having a good bottle of scotch-whiskey under your desk is a life saver when projects go sour in the last minutes before a deadline.

Well, then it would be one beer ... that would last 2 hours.  As for under the desk stuff, I couldn't get anything done or put out a fire after doing that, especially under a crunch.

Dec 2, 13 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

For much of the past year I've been living up to that rule "never miss an opportunity to drink with your boss." I sure hope it pays off, cause it's cost me a lot of money - the bosses never miss the chance, either!

Dec 2, 13 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Having a few beers or a row of shots with the office's top brass is always good, it shows that you're not afraid to step out of your "office pants" and act like a regular person. Showing some personality helps a long way, especially if you're just getting started. Just don't try and have deep philosophical discussions about single-malts with the partners... chances are you'll get schooled pretty darn fast.

Dec 3, 13 7:46 am  · 
 · 

drinking is actually probably healthy for you these days.  ever check the ingredients of a heineken?  water, barley & hops.  Now compare that to all the chemical shit in an average diet colke.  pretty eye-opening.

Dec 3, 13 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: