Archinect
anchor

Architectural Writing

As a semi unemployed (I'm doing some freelance work but don't have a full time job) architectural designer I have been trying to stay busy and productive by writing articles about architecture and design. I have written pieces for a couple of magazines - both design and travel - and I have been keeping a blog - www.talkitect.com.

I would love to find more writing jobs that pay a little money. Does anyone have any suggestions or opportunities?

Also, if anyone has any writing that they want to get out there I would love the contribution for the blog. Any research papers written for classes at school or reviews of interesting architecture in your area would be fantastic.

Apr 10, 09 6:17 am
sauvearch

conferences are great places to present your writing. They have call for abstracts and call for entries. Some pay most don't but at least you're getting your name out there more.

Apr 10, 09 8:24 am  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace
www.conferencealerts.com

most you pay to present, though.

Apr 10, 09 9:44 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I posted this on another thread, but it applies here, since these can pay a few hundred bucks. I've yet to be paid for a conference paper...

One fairly easy way to get published in a more visible (though non-academic) way is to pen an editorial for the local paper. NOT a cranky-letter-to-the-editor, but a thoughtful piece (it can still be critical) focused on a particular topic. A proposed plan, new infrastructure project, controversial planning ordinance... that kind of thing.

Most newspaper editors are always looking for this kind of material. Find out who the appropriate person is at your city's paper and submit a piece for their consideration. I did this at the LA Times, then started to get requests for other editorials in the Sunday op-ed section.

Now, these are not career-builders, but a handful of such citations in your CV can help fill out a shorter list of more serious articles and cast you as a person who writes regularly for a range of audiences. Not a bad thing for someone applying for an academic gig.

Apr 10, 09 10:21 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little warry about conferences because I'm not actually conducting research. I'm writing architectural reviews and opinion pieces. I presented one paper at a conference a couple years ago. It was great but took a long time to research and write and there was no money - but the experience was priceless.

Apr 10, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: