Archinect
anchor

Verbiage in Portfolios

BabbleBeautiful

So I'm about to embark on applying for my first internship and have gotten my portfolio to a happy point sans one detail: verbiage, more specifically project descriptions.  Personally, I lean towards minimal descriptions and focus on letting the work and imagery (e.g. diagrams) speak for themselves. As long as the aforementioned and narrative is apparent and strong my projects are conveyed allowing some wiggle room for exploration and interpretation.  Furthermore, I feel most descriptions I've come across to be either 1) contrite, 2) contradictory, 3) necessary only because the imagery and narrative is not good enough - too vague or too confusing. 

Even with that, I'm still a little insecure with my position on this so I'm wondering if I could get some thoughts on this. Do you feel strongly about having project descriptions? If so, why? Have you come across a portfolio with very little verbiage yet be successful as a portfolio?

PS: My portfolio only contains academic work.

Nov 27, 13 11:34 am
citizen

Keep it brief.  Most reviewers won't read much.

Nov 27, 13 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
simoneis

Make it brief. No table of contents or index. Be specific about your own contribution to each project, if not solo work.

Nov 27, 13 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

Spell check.

Dec 1, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I think you do need project briefs in most cases. As much as the images should explain the project, it can be really tough to get even a rough level of understanding if there is no explanation at all.  If you look at most firms they tend to have at least some text explaining the project in brief.

But as others have said, in most cases you want to keep it short. This might not hold true for something like a thesis project...

Dec 1, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: