Archinect
anchor

iPod alternative

Hasselhoff

Does anyone know/have experience with a good iPod alternative? Mine is such a pain in the ass. It likes to freeze up a lot. It does this awesome thing when it freezes and won't correct itself until you let the battery completely drain and then charge it again. It also likes to do this thing where it will freeze after you pause it, and you have to shut it off, wait a few seconds, then turn it on again. Like you pause it at a the bank drive through, and then it locks and you have to do a little dance to get it working again. Pretty much sucks. It's a gen...5 (bought it in May of 2007). I've been having issues with it for almost a year. Today I drove to my friend's place and it froze up half way there. Annoying. I had this Creative Nomad back in the day. Ugly as sin, but rock solid (in comparison). I bought it cause in those days, it was $250 for 30GB while the iPod was $300 for 15 GB. It worked for almost 3 years, two summers in Japan, a trip to London, back and forth in my bag to studio every day. Then one day it just died. The iPod, not as much use and more failure. I'll wait til it totally shits the bed before I spend money, but what the hell!? Gen 5 shouldn't be so crappy. I hate Apple.

Apr 5, 09 1:26 am
gonad

I use to have an ipod, there was always problems with it. My fix was to open it and shake the connections to the hard drive. I gave up and switched to a Zune.
I find it pretty awesome, it seems to have so much more potential.
You can read up about it through
zuneboards.com
zunescene.com

Apr 5, 09 7:39 am  · 
 · 
gonad
http://www.zunescene.com/comparison/

check out the zune vs ipod comparison

Apr 5, 09 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

"and you have to shut it off, wait a few seconds, then turn it on again"
by this do mean when you hold both the center and the wheel to 'reboot' (or whatever its called) the thing?
just curious . . .

Apr 5, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I've had an ipod for 3 years now, it's given me absolutely no trouble at all. Try bringing yours to an apple store. They're usually really helpful resolving problems.

Apr 5, 09 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

say no to DRM

Apr 5, 09 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

or the new model, with TV:

Apr 5, 09 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Say you pause it, then hit un-pause, it will "play" but no sound comes out. Then you have to hold pause til it goes black, then hit the center button and it comes back on, but goes back to the menu screen. So you're all rocking out to some Slayer, then it goes back to start. Pain in my asshole.

Apr 5, 09 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

good point, im with randomized

Apr 5, 09 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i butfuck apple...it was not sogreat...yet

Apr 5, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

what apple lacks in good software and hardware (as far as ipods and itunes are concerned IMO) it more than makes up for in customer service. Just make an appointment with an apple store genius bar, take it in there show them whats wrong and in all likelyhood they will give you a new one. I once got an Ipod replaced after accidentally breaking it myself without even showing them a receipt.

If i could have an ipod without the itunes i would probably still have one.

I think one of the problems with the ipod is its gotten so mainstream apple is caring less about quality and more about sheer numbers on that front and don't even get me started on itunes.

Apr 6, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

will they show you how to hack it with the various programs that allow you to copy music off it and how to install Linux based software on it? ;p

Apr 6, 09 11:54 am  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

I have a Zune that I'm happy with. I like the idea of being able to share music with other Zune users (not that I've ever actually seen another person with a Zune...)

The only thing I wish I could do is delete music/podcasts directly from my Zune, rather than having to plug it into my computer, start up the software, and search for the song/podcast, by which point I've forgotten what I wanted to get rid of. To me this is a major annoyance because I like to keep my Zune tidy and not have it filled with movies/tv/podcasts I'm done with.

Plus the earbuds that come with it feel really nice in my ears.

Apr 7, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

none of the music sold on the itunes store has drm any more. its plain old open standard aac format.

Apr 7, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Must be one of those people who likes to run with their hard drive based mp3 player (or toss it about or keep it nice and toasty in their pockets)... they will all fail! whatever you decide to go for stick to a solid state memory based mp3 player like an iPod nano, touch, iphone or if you really have to a smaller zune... actually if i had to go for a non apple device i'd go for iRiver, they seem to be doing their own thing and they have some nice products out there.

Apr 7, 09 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

i used some third party software to move some music from one ipod to another (compiling scattered libraries from multiple computers)and with one album bought in '08 the pod'll play two or three songs and then it just shuts itself off - it only happens with that one album, bought on itunes but shuffled around without it. i've yet to try to figure it out, though. Perhaps how you move your music around (or drm!!!!??) has something to do with it??

Apr 8, 09 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

No, all wrong on the tossing, baking and running with the iPod. I know that you can't do that with HDD based MP3 players. I'm very careful with my stuff. As someone with no money (architect) I can't afford to just go out and buy new stuff all the time (0 credit card debt).

I actually had the problem from like...day 2, but didn't think much about it because I learned about that reset move. Did that once and it was fine. But looking back now I should have known it was a problem. I didn't think much of it since I had just loaded up 15GB of music. I've noticed that it tends to lock up if you remove it before the "Do Not Remove" thing goes away. You click the disconnect thing in Windows and it says it's OK, but the icon is still on the iPod screen. I would say 99% of the time I do it right, but sometimes I forget. That's almost a guaranteed freeze. But lately, it's been freezing a lot for no reason.

Apr 8, 09 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: