www.talkitect.com

Apr 5, 09 6:36 am  · 
 · 
skeez

seriously?

Apr 5, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I'm waiting for the obligatory pseudo-conservative response that women are somehow handicapped physiologically and there's some BS inherent difference in the ability of coping between genders followed up by an asinine comment regarding a 100,000 year old ancestry myth about hunters and gatherers. But regardless of that, that all humans for all of time lived in a single-family house on a large lot with a farm in low densities and that men should provide because, uh, women make babies roughly 2.4 times in their life (actual time being 21.6 months or roughly 1/36 of a lifespan of 65 years).

After all that contradictory bunk, someone will just say "Sack up, you should be happy for what you have, that's the way it is."

/thread

Apr 5, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

randomized, i had no idea the video to that song was so awesome, thank you

Apr 5, 09 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

how many times must archinect threads resort to these mind-bottlingly limitesd threads that try to paint the world in terms of gender as simply an either-or proposition...i.e., male/female?

on the one hand i would expect architects to me more sensitive & aware of intersex individuals...but then again, how many times have architects (rather brainlessly) assigned gender to rooms such as Men/Women restrooms without even considering the fact that this supposedly obivious distinction does not, in fact, apply to everyone?

this is a perfect example of exactly how architecture shapes lives and impacts experiences in manners that are so unconscious and subliminal that evn the all-knowing architect doesn't realize the hurt that he/she/it is causing to some by their most perfunctory of actions.

isn't it time that we stop assigning gender to rooms?

Apr 5, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

rockandhill, you're referring to these discussions concerning Bobby Stern?
http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=86926_0_24_15_M
http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/entry.php?id=86908_0_39_0_C

apurimac, you're welcome!

Apr 5, 09 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

puddles, i agree completely. Unisex bathrooms should be the norm.

Apr 5, 09 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they don't call it the wacker for nothin'

Apr 5, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Puddles I think I want to keep it the way it is so I don't have to wait in line. Selfish ole bugger that I am.

Apr 5, 09 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

"isn't it time that we stop assigning gender to rooms?"

Uh, I don't know if you got the last memo, but you are either one or the other and if actually born both the medical community normally handles that. But lets say they don't. This individual may represent about 1/1000000 of the community, certainly not big enough to either create a seperate bathroom for them nor inconvenience the rest of the men/women.

Outside of that, there are reasons why our field and related fields are male dominated. I'd hope that intelligent people such as architects and wannabe architects could figure those out. If not, I'm sorry.

Apr 6, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 

I think the original post was supposed to be a joke, guys. (get it, vibratory rammers?) so lets all just keep calm. and why is everyone suddenly talking about bathrooms.
besides the guy with the rammer dont look like no architect to me. architect not = consruction worker

Apr 6, 09 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
jsoc

I'm with '09... how could anyone seriously start discussing equality, gender and bathrooms thinking that the fine folks at Wacker were biased in their marketing of the Vibratory Rammer?

Apr 7, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: