Archinect
anchor

Toughest Glass to suspend and walk on.

Moses

Hey guys,

My teacher wrote a material to use for my transparent suspended floor, which will be made out of two layers of glass. now he wrote the material but i cant read his hand writing and it begins with "T" its read something like "tograwed" or "tograned"... i dont know... or is there a tougher glass.

please help thanks.

Apr 2, 09 9:02 pm
Synergy

I am thinking he wrote Tempered glass.

Apr 2, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

though it could be Toughed glass, which is another name sometimes used for Tempered glass. I'm curious, so let me know if you find out for sure.

Apr 2, 09 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

prolly tempered

but research laminated glass

Apr 2, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I just realized I misspelled in that second post, I intended to type Toughened glass.

Apr 2, 09 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

polycarbonate is pretty darn tough too.
Apr 4, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Moses

hey i dont think it was toughened glass i dont know.

but its glass you can walk on.. can toughened glass do that?

and @TREEKILLER, what glass is that?

Apr 4, 09 11:24 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

search for structural glass - pilkington makes some and other major glass folks do too. 4specs.com and sweets.com have entire sections dedicated to structural glass manufacturers.

typical structural glass is made of several laminations of glass and a plastic interlayer - PVA is common. depending on where the glass is being installed and the structural loading, the glass may be toughened or tempered - to be determined by code and engineering requirements.

For glass floors, the top layer is typically a sacrificial traction layer that is intended to be replaced after a few decades of wear and tear. Note that most glass floors are translucent/frosted or have a distinct texture for safety. This is determined by code and your insurance company.

I'm guessing that the fishtank above is polycarbonate - the size of the pieces and the curve are too big to be made of glass.

glass fittings are discussed here

the apple store in NYC has a good example:

you can see the laminations and diamond plate texture (note the thinner top layer):

the apple store is by bohlin cywinski jackson

Apr 4, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

sometimes I'm suprised why so much students and lecturers or other architects don't know about this forum

Apr 4, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
miro.m

fyi...the glass at all the Apple Stores ^^ was supplied by Depp Glass in Long Island City, NY. I got a sample from them for a project I was working on a while ago. It is laminated glass w/ an acid etched textured surface (think little bumps) so you don't slip and kill yourself. We used (3) laminated layers of 1/2" glass.

Apr 4, 09 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

thank you so much Miro.M and Tree Killer and everyone else.

Apr 4, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

circle redmont sells glass plank assemblies.

Apr 5, 09 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
present

I am thinking of "grand canyon skywalk"

Apr 5, 09 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: