Archinect
anchor

Info on UMass Amherst M.Arch?

theunicorn

I'm in the Boston area right now and would like to stay on the east coast for grad school. I've heard pretty good things about the BFA in architecture at UMass, but I haven't really heard much about their fairly new, accredited graduate program. Are there any alums or professionals who can tell me more about UMass, their graduates, work, etc?

Nov 25, 13 12:27 pm
observant

Not an alum, but I'm a "professional" according to the definition of E.T.E. we learned in pro practice.

UMass Amherst is the only public accredited M.Arch. in New England, just like SUNY Buffalo is the only public accredited M.Arch. in the state of New York.  If it's about saving coin and studying in New England, I'm sure it's fine and, with a decent performance there (portofilo) and networking, I'm sure you could get a job in New England.  It's a little too connected to the artsy side of the house and not as technical as I would like my curriculum to be, but it seems reasonable.   For 3 year types, they pull it off in 90 sem. crs. or thereabouts, so it's 6 semesters (4 semester for M.Arch. 2).  It would have been cool if the public New England univ. a-school was in VT, ME, or RI, but U-Mass is supposed to be very dynamic, and has 4 other colleges in the area which allow for some cross-registration, at least for undergrads.  However, being new and with all that critical mass in the area (Harvard, MIT, Yale, RISD), don't expect a welcome mat to a corner office upon finishing, but expect more change in your pocket. 

If you're not insistent on a curriculum with more technical course content, it sounds fine.  Go visit them, talk to their admissions folks, and walk around and talk to students in their studios.  That counts for a LOT.

Nov 25, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: