Archinect
anchor

Model Builders...in asia/india?

FOUAD

Does anyone have a reliable contact for architectural model builders in the Middle East, India or China?

We have an exhibit project in which we need to produce a multitude of highly detailed models in the region.

Any leads would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

thanks

Apr 2, 09 10:53 am
binary

"need to produce a multitude of highly detailed models"

good luck finding that over there

Apr 2, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

m-h
What's that supposed to mean? That they can't make highly detailed models in Asia? Don't be so narrow-minded, those children in the sweat-shops with their little hands and fingers can make awesome models, I'm sure. But seriously, don't be such a bigot, just because you're from the "greatest country in the world". Have you been anywhere else in the world besides the usual Canada or Mexico?

Apr 3, 09 8:44 am  · 
 · 
FOUAD

I agree with randomized...

But seriously, the project is in Saudi and we would like to source a fabricator locally for very practical reasons...if anyone has any leads, I'd be greatful.

thanks

Apr 3, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Rajit

hi FOUAD,

If you are still looking for someone to build models for you please let me know. I am affiliated with a firm in Dhaka, Bangladesh that does Digital Visualization and we would like to branch into model building. Please have a look at the website (http://www.247dstudio.com/), if you are interested let me know.

thank you.

Apr 4, 09 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have seen the quality from there... and in the states ..and i have been to russia/italy/poland/finland

i have also worked on models that range from 10,000usd to 300,000usd ....

you get what you pay for.......

Apr 5, 09 12:22 am  · 
 · 
dlb

yes, it's just that you get a lot more for your money from some model-makers in China.

we use a number of different ones. i'll get the addresses.

you might also look at:

http://www.modelcraft.com.au (with an office and production in dubai)

this group from Malaysia:

http://www.archmodel.com.my

Apr 5, 09 1:58 am  · 
 · 
binary

touche'

Apr 5, 09 2:04 am  · 
 · 

still I want to know is it a digital or a physical model?

Apr 5, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

touché

Apr 5, 09 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

We have worked with a team from Beijing, and they are really good. I will find the address and post it here tomorrow. They have made some really highly detailed models of the whole of Shanghai too.
We have also worked with a team from Dubai, who, also are very talented.

Cryzko, no offense, but you do seem a little our of touch. I have visited one of these shops, and they have highly trained and capable people. They also have very state-of-the-art technology, actually everything you would find in a shop here in the states. And, they are very quick on their feet, and are of course cheaper.

The big advantage, though is, the shop closer to the actual client/project normally wins out because shipping gets very expensive.

That said, a lot of these shops do not have good websites.

Apr 5, 09 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

understandable.

the samples i have physically seen from other shops were not up to par when we were looking to outsource a few minor things....hence why i jumped the gun.

sure shipping can get expensive, but also figure a model has to be constructed to be durable for any type of transit/shipping situations. for instance if the project is local and the model builder is local then model construction can have more options, but when the client says 'hey, we are gonna ship it to the open house thats in another area/etc/plane/etc' then the model has to be able to take on vibrations/etc..

just saying from my 14 years experience, i have seen alot of models and techniques. i have also seen alot of 'railroad' type models that just look cheesy..... to each his/her own though.

Apr 6, 09 1:03 am  · 
 · 
a_person

Cryzko, do you have a website so we could see some of ur work ?
Thanks

Apr 6, 09 2:05 am  · 
 · 
a_person

FOUAD I do have some connection in China building physical model. Plz send me some detail so that I could see how I could help.

Apr 6, 09 2:10 am  · 
 · 
binary

i'll post pics when i get a chance.....my server/hosting is on the fritz right now and have to change some coding.... hopefully by the end of the week i'll have something to show

Apr 6, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Just like anything, there is quality and crap everywhere. Just 'cause it comes from the US doesn't mean it is quality.

Apr 6, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
binary

it works both ways.....

good/fast/cheap/high detailed....... sorry , you can't have it all..

Apr 6, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
a_person

Cryzko: I totally agree with u. Some of the things I find out is that yep they could use laser machine n CNC machine to cut all the materials and ask 20 to 30 guyz to put them together in a short amount of time. But I find out that we also need to spend a lot of time to make sure that they build it right and most likely they need a good or complete 3d computer model for them to start the job. Plus most of the model shops in China don;t really care about the health of their staffs. It is sad but true.

Apr 7, 09 2:24 am  · 
 · 
binary

some things do require the higher end machinery like cnc/lasers/etc. but the key factor in model building is the craft and detail. i have seen some laser cut models that were put together with out the knowledge of the 'craft'. meaning corners were bad/glue showing, butt-joints/mitre' joints not lining up/etc. a model builder must have the table saw skills and assembly methods in place/creating jigs/etc.

each model has to be gauged on the clients interests and whether it would be used as a 'buildable model' or a presentation model. then we can get into keeping the model monotone (which i like) or actually getting into paint matching/etc (which can get over done at times). then figure lighting/crating/shipping/assembly time/paint time/etc.

Apr 7, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: