Archinect
anchor

curving bookshelves nyc

circlek09

I'm looking to install some bookshelves along a curving wall surface that could be freestanding and hold a large amount of books. If anyone could recommend prefab companies, custom shelf makers, or any great design companies you can think of that make, or could make a bookshelf along a curving wall that would be great. Thank you very much in advance

Apr 2, 09 10:19 am
holz.box

bookshelves along curved walls are really not too difficult.

you should go w/ a steel fabricator, though, for a sweeter look.

Apr 2, 09 10:29 am  · 
 · 
circlek09

Yes I know manufacturing and designing is not very difficult, but we do not have the tools or capacity to do so, and wanted to know if there are any creative firms we could contact that have made curving bookshelves. OR any great custom millworkers/designers/furniture people in nyc. thanks

Apr 2, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

you could contact MADE-nyc.com

they are a design firm and have fab space in brooklyn

Apr 2, 09 10:52 am  · 
 · 
tagalong
link
Apr 2, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Associated Fabrication
Apr 2, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

are you looking for one-offs..

if you have files/cut sheets/etc ready just locate a fab shop to cnc them for you.

sort of hard to prefab a unit along a curve also.... curves are custom..

Apr 2, 09 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

not to be snarky or anything, but books are very orthogonal things. curved bookshelves don't make a lot of sense to me. (cue holz to come up with some sweet ass curved bookshelf designs.)

Apr 2, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bricks are orthogonal too, but we still make curved walls.

Apr 2, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
circlek09

yes i understand the orthogonal nature. i just wanted to know if there are furniture manufacturers, that also can produce interesting curved shelves, dependent on the clients curve and length. close to an off-the-shelf but still semi custom.

oh and btw, the need for a curved bookshelf, is because it is going on a curved wall. go figure ha.

thank you for all the recommendations. one other firm i should mention on this topic is FACE design in brooklyn. great work.
http://www.facedesign.com/happenings.html

Apr 2, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I would suggest a custom cabinet builder, because then you know it will be built to match your curve instood of something which sounds like a cool idea but fails in every other way because it doesn't match the curve of the wall. I can suggest a cabinet guy I use in Connecticut. He travels into the city all the time for installations.

Apr 2, 09 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
circlek09

thank you all for your help. i think i've figured out a solution that does not require custom cabinetry. 2' rectangular modules that are faceted around the curved; not an exact curve, but does the job. thanks again everybody, much appreciated.

Apr 2, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: