Archinect
anchor

Shop.Archinect

LITS4FormZ

In this season of consumerism is there any chance that shop.archinect will restock any time soon? 

Nov 24, 13 6:32 pm

Seriously.  I want a black tshirt with the white A in a dark - but not quite black -  circle.

Nov 24, 13 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

How about bringing back the Free Ai Weiwei shirts...

Nov 24, 13 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Nothing he creates remotely resembles free.

Nov 25, 13 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Pete, which meaning of "free" are you intending there? Because Ai Weiwei's work is definitely high dollar, both to make and to own.  And I'm still curious why that aspect never seems to get talked about.

Nov 25, 13 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Not only high dollar, but commoditized, and ready to move. I dislike when art stops being about creation and expression and starts being about status and cash. That's not to say that I begrudge artists the ability to make money (and lots of it) but I wonder at times about motives.

If anyone has any information that may challenge my preconceptions, I'm very interested.

Nov 25, 13 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

------>

You mean, at the end of the day, are artists really capitalists pigs? and fame whores?

Considering as a society we basically define a successful artist by the amount of $$$$ his work commands. 

DOLLAR$ really are the greatest motivator...

Nov 25, 13 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Well, pretty much everything is about money, isn't it?

What I can't figure out about Weiwei is that he was able to afford to make all the amazing things he has made.  A bowl of pearls doesn't come cheap, and when one is a dissident being hounded by a very powerful government I can't figure out how one can fund such an object.

Which doesn't for a moment mean any of his work *isn't* about creation and expression.  It all is, and it's all highly critical of political systems and oppression.  I just can't figure out how he could afford to make it in the first place to have it to show.

Nov 25, 13 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I struggle with that when I see artists' work being reproduced by a studio instead of the artist and sold to billionaires.

Nov 25, 13 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Weiwei is quite wealthy as he does countless private pieces for China's aristocracy. He also has several "sponsors" who have been known to fund his films/shows. Then there's the fact that he has an army of unpaid interns creating his works, he simply directs them. 

Thank you for hijacking this thread...

So no Less is More hoodies? 

Nov 25, 13 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Michelangelo used assistants. Rodin used assistants.

Archinect, do you have any assistants who can get a shop running again? ;-)

Nov 25, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I don't know where I stand on the issue, as I don't think I have enough facts to have an informed opinion. 

Nov 25, 13 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Err, I can't help but point out that many of Weiwei's pieces (at least, the most important ones) have revolved around salvaged and found objects. Donna, I'm unfamiliar with the pearls you mentioned.

When I think of his work, especially in the context of political dissidence, it is the work found in wreckages, re-appropriated from dynasties, etc. Its somewhat ingenuous to insinuate that he is a rock-star commanding huge sums of money when he is largely confined to his home/studio and never found any real success until essentially in his 50's. This isn't some naive BFA shock-art graduate rocketing to the height of fame.

And I still want a shirt.

Nov 25, 13 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Get some unpaid interns to do it.

Nov 25, 13 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: