Archinect
anchor

help on picking a lap for basic design

thuglife

hey everyone, sorry if i put up another "what computer is better for me" post. Im on my 3rd semester, Architecture, over here in Mexico. now that we are going to start design with AutoCAD, Revit and others, i needed some help on deciding which laptop is best suited for me. i kind of low on cash, probably have around $800 dollars. i was looking into this lap: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/15-6-laptop-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/9559957.p?id=1219021955283&skuId=9559957&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=5#tab=specifications

for me it sound good enough with what it has, but if someone could orientate me, it would really cool. thanks

Nov 23, 13 11:54 am

I've got a similar Asus, and it was fine for a couple years.  Little lag on navigating complex models in 3d.. but it held up fine.  Mostly any laptop with an i7 and 8gb ram these days will be adequate.

If I were buying one today, I'd grab the lenovo IdeaPad Y410p.  It's $750 now, has the 4th gen i7, 8gb ram and a 2gb graphics card by comparison.  14" screen, same resolution.

Nov 23, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
24arches

If you're not rendering, the integrated graphics work. Put in a solid state drive, bump the memory, and most recent machines should handle student projects just fine. If you need to render, there are cloud options that save time and stress.

Nov 23, 13 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: