Archinect
anchor

For grad school, do community college classes count?

rexxer

Say I'm planning to graduate from university this year and don't have space to take certain classes that might be a requirement for arch grad school.

(1) For requirements such as physics, calculus, or what have you, do community college classes count?

(2) Do they have any less weight than university classes, or are they important only insofar as you complete them adequately?

(3) Also, I heard that you can be accepted to a grad school without all of the required classes, but they will just make you take the prerequisite classes during grad school, in conjunction with the normal classes. Is this true?

Mar 29, 09 2:42 pm
poop876

You have to be more specific with your questions rexxer. Are you finishing a arch. degree now or is it a degree in something else? As far as I know there is no requirement as far as classes taken in your undergraduate school, but I guess it could depend on the school. As long as you have your undergraduate degree you can move on and go to grad school. Remember that graduate school is specific in certain field so physics and all the other crap classes are not a requirement during your graduate studies. You will only focus on your arch. classes like theory, studio, bldg. science, structures etc., unless you have a non-arch. undergraduate degree then you will be catching up with classes like history and other bldg. science and structure classes that studings with a arch. undergrad degree already have.

Mar 29, 09 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

On question #1: yes, usually pre-reqs can be taken at a community college, as long as it has a recognized accreditation and the courses are for-credit and carry at least 3 credits.
But check with the schools you're considering, to find out if they have any specific requirements.

On question #2: most M.Arch programs with pre-reqs require that you get a grade of at least C+ in these courses. They do not generally care where you take the courses, as long as it is in an accredited college-level setting.

On question #3: this is true in some M.Arch programs. I wouldn't recommend doing things this way though, as it usually means that you'll be taking more than a full course load (for instance 21 credits instead of 18), and it can make scheduling difficult, in addition to adding to your course load.
But, don't count on all M.Arch programs allowing you to do this. There are some programs that will require the transcripts for the pre-reqs before you're allowed to register in the fall, and if you did not successfully complete the pre-reqs before then they will require you to defer admission to the following year.
It all depends on the individual program, so check directly with the school(s) in question if you think you're going to have trouble fulfilling the pre-reqs.

Mar 29, 09 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
rexxer

poop876, I'm finishing a BA in something else.

I'll probably end up taking prerequisite courses like art history, etc. at a community college because of the places I've checked they don't seem to state that it needs to be done in uni.

Mar 30, 09 8:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: